Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Yeah, i am personally more concerned with this shadow than rain.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
7 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

I'm still hopeful tomorrow. Certainly cold out there now and snow supportive. Current dew point below -2!

Meto website shows rain to heavy snow as per warning. I wouldn't worry too much if it starts as rain, we just need to get some intensity really.

Thursday also looking good, here's hoping we do get some snow this week ❄️

Our shows sleet to light snow.

Tomorrow doesn't look very good and although the predicted atmospheric conditions maybe different on the day we are down to T24 well slightly less. We will need evaporitive cooling to help us along. Without the the fat lady will be in full swing. Thursday into Friday looks like the last hurrah for a while so if that goes tits up I'll give up for what remains of the winter.

Those wondering about will it snow use John Holmes excellent guide. https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/23729-will-it-snow/ You'll need netweather extra to get at some of that charts though but it has rarely failed me over the years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

at least up here we have chances all week for snow I think.

As well as the two main front events we're at risk of showers and troughs all week its so cold and unstable air. I'm going to be very disappointed if we don't get laying snow at some point by this time next week!

Edited by Winter Cold

Posted

Met Office goes from rain to sleet to snow between 12-6.

What intetests me is that the GFS has been upping the precipitation each run since yesterday such that i get a tripple symbol now. It will be one hell of a flop.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
15 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Met Office goes from rain to sleet to snow between 12-6.

What intetests me is that the GFS has been upping the precipitation each run since yesterday such that i get a tripple symbol now. It will be one hell of a flop.

Hard to be a flop when it's marginal. If you get it it's a bonus if you don't well it wasn't ever really on.

What we need is the prec to be delayed and so that cold uppers catch up with it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Nice  Hudds Halifax and Bradford in line then Sheff 

Screenshot_20190128-175003_Chrome.jpg

Edited by winterof79

Posted

Euro4 accumulation chart sums up nicely, significant rain shadow, wintry mixture at best further east, rain to lower levels. 

19013003_2812.gif

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
11 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

Euro4 accumulation chart sums up nicely, significant rain shadow, wintry mixture at best further east, rain to lower levels. 

19013003_2812.gif

Have to agree with you and PIT I'm afraid.  Tomorrow's front does not look like having enough oomph this side of the Pennines.

I fear we will just end up with a couple of hours of sleety mess and at best a bit of slush on the ground.

The Meto warning certainly doesn't fill you with any confidence and despite the Meto hourly forecasts being automated I usually find they are fairly close to the mark so not expecting much where I am.

Pennines areas could see a few centimetres though so good luck to them and be grateful for any snow you do get!

All that said the rest of the week is still up for grabs and I am not convinced in the slightest it will turn milder next week.  I think there is a chance we may get a relatively short notice Easterly popping up in the next couple of weeks and that February as a whole has the potential to be cold to very cold against the average with our region being well positioned for any snow events that do pop up.

Dare I say it short term pain and long term gain?!  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Not looking great but then I've seen the forecast say that before and we've had snow. Will have to wait and see. Will certainly be pretty chilly and wintry these next few days,especially with the wind chill. 

• Like 1

Posted

I don't expect much, if anything tomorrow. If we get anything it's a bonus. I think Thursday has a greater chance but we are at the northern edge of precipitation so won't take much for it to edge away southwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
28 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Dare I say it short term pain and long term gain?!  

How long have we been saying that? 

Really just looking forward to spring now.  Want to be able to turn my heating off.

Edited by cheese

Posted
7 minutes ago, cheese said:

Really just looking forward to spring now.  Want to be able to turn my heating off.

Yep, I'm writing this winter off as close but no cigar. Bring on the longer and warmer days!

Posted
29 minutes ago, BA Baracus said:

Yep, I'm writing this winter off as close but no cigar. Bring on the longer and warmer days!

Evening all, rather quiet in here 

i have to agree BA, long summer warm nights are my favourite - Autumn and winter months feel like they drag on forever and ever 

with regards to this snow or no snow event - non of the models are consistent and the mad thread is literally bonkers as always! Grown ups bickering over will it or won't it snow in my backyard. Southerners moaning about the northerners and vice versa. BOOM and bust posts, good charts and bad charts - come on it's just the weather!!!

personally I love looking at falling snow, my garden looks as good as the neighbours for once.  

Would I be happy with a 2010 repeat - hell yes 

but life will go on either way 

enjoy your week no matter what it brings, you never know what's around the corner 

• Like 2

Posted
42 minutes ago, cheese said:

All 'Winter'!  Our luck has to change at some point doesn't it?!  Actually don't answer that it will be April knowing our luck....

Looking at the models sadly they are treading slightly south for Thursday late precipitation but still 3 days away so time for it to go the other way too.  Sweet spot currently West Midlands but got a feeling there will be some significant surprises this week due to the unstable air flow.  The other problem is the uppers are not quiet low enough but may not be a problem due to the winds.  Got a bad feeling but that’s only because over the past 12 months these systems have edged southwards as we get nearer the time

im in the valley of wombwell so tend to get sleazy at best but we will see

Posted
3 minutes ago, pacifist99 said:

Looking at the models sadly they are treading slightly south for Thursday late precipitation but still 3 days away so time for it to go the other way too.  Sweet spot currently West Midlands but got a feeling there will be some significant surprises this week due to the unstable air flow.  The other problem is the uppers are not quiet low enough but may not be a problem due to the winds.  Got a bad feeling but that’s only because over the past 12 months these systems have edged southwards as we get nearer the time

im in the valley of wombwell so tend to get sleazy at best but we will see

Yes that is a fair description of Wombwell to be honest!  

Posted
8 minutes ago, fazzafarrand said:

Are we going to get anything from the NW tonight out of those showers coming in ?

Pennines are likely to kill them off before they get here looking at the local forecast but worth keeping an eye out?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
25 minutes ago, fazzafarrand said:

Are we going to get anything from the NW tonight out of those showers coming in ?

Possibly as they look quite heavy, so may not fizzle out by the time they reach our region.  They are certainly heading in our direction and could potentially give snow for an hour or so.  That said, NMM does show the precipitation fragmenting as it moves East.

7A89CC99-3E75-41F9-92F0-9B7EC2EAD304.png

A08E97C1-E579-4095-A37A-BDCB61186943.png

C513B24A-E19C-4956-A7EB-1F07FE43AF1A.png

EF9B988C-37F9-4354-B1D4-F634E9B5D160.png

Edited by SouthYorks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Yesterday Northern correction tonight southern correction the models are flipping hour by hour still all to play for 

Hmmm, not liking the look of ICON 18z for Thursday.  Takes us completely out of the snowzone!  Makes those snow depth charts for Wales and North West look even more ridiculous now.  Hopefully we will see it flip back North again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

interesting

Screenshot_20190128-214823_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1