Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Meto automated forecast for my area shows light rain between 5pm and 6pm tomorrow otherwise dry!

If that turns out to be correct I think I will call time on this 'Winter'  

Posted
8 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Meto automated forecast for my area shows light rain between 5pm and 6pm tomorrow otherwise dry!

If that turns out to be correct I think I will call time on this 'Winter'  

I think they are being very cautious! I do believe we still see changes right down to the last hour!.. its nail biting!

Posted
56 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Upgrades for our region overnight

Yes lee and downgrades for the south and south east 

Where nearly there! Again for me south yorkshire and parts of west yorkshire currently sweet spot for our region thursday. Nationally probably peak district in sweet spot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Where nearly there! Again for me south yorkshire and parts of west yorkshire currently sweet spot for our region thursday. Nationally probably peak district in sweet spot.

well get ready for lots of southern tantrums later today!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

It's that time of the year when you choose the weather depending on which forecast you like the look of most

Met Office

image.thumb.png.777ed6cd1fddc5da1e1fe7430b39c71c.png

BBC

image.thumb.png.d6bcaa5a24c53978b809ce599e57db97.png

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Barking_Mad said:

It's that time of the year when you choose the weather depending on which forecast you like the look of most

Met Office

BBC

Interesting 

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
18 minutes ago, Barking_Mad said:

Met Office

BBC

Just to show you the difference being on the top of the Pennines makes in this setup -

Screenshot from 2019-01-28 09-34-54.png

20 miles between Oldfield and Leeds.

Edited by cowdog
  • Like 1

Posted

Nice pub picture from Lastingham (second image in gallery)
It's probably not this winter though.
Lastingham is a serious frost hollow, they could do with more insulation ...

https://www.gazetteherald.co.uk/news/17365360.blacksmiths-arms-in-lastingham-nominated-for-countryside-alliance-awards/

Posted

Yellow warning for raining turning to snow for Tuesday now !

A band of rain will arrive across Wales, northern and western England through the middle of Tuesday, then move eastwards through Tuesday afternoon and evening. The rain will turn quickly to snow on hills, then also to low levels in places. 3 to 5 cm snow is likely above 200 metres, with up to 10 cm in a few

Edited by Love Snow

Posted
7 minutes ago, Love Snow said:

Yellow warning for raining turning to snow for Tuesday now !

A band of rain will arrive across Wales, northern and western England through the middle of Tuesday, then move eastwards through Tuesday afternoon and evening. The rain will turn quickly to snow on hills, then also to low levels in places. 3 to 5 cm snow is likely above 200 metres, with up to 10 cm in a few

Below 200mtrs? rain then or 1 to 3cms?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hi there 

An avid follower of these forums and my mates usually rely on me to get them excited about any potential snow events.

Is Bradford looking good for a decent snowfall this week? I do look at the posts and charts and try make sense of them but you guys are far more clued up than me..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Screenshot_20190128-103421_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190128-103432_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

I can tell those maps have no chance of verifying as they have snow for the lower vale of York.  Normally there would be a nice circle of clear around the city.

Posted

Hi all,

Hoping for some snow tomorrow like the rest of you, but think we need to remain very cautious, quite a few could miss out tomorrow.

19013000_2806.gif:

Take the Euro4 accumulation chart, shows a horrible gap with the band breaking up.  Some other high res models have shown this over the last 24 hours.  ECM accumulation chart isn't great either.  Met Office automated for Leeds doesn't look that great, with light sleet/snow and the Met Office warning does state that some areas might not see any snow.  The band will also arrive mid-afternoon which isn't ideal.  Personally here I think it will be light sleet/snow, with it just too warm and not heavy enough to accumulate with those to the east and west doing better.  E Yorks might be a better bet with it arriving later when its gone dark and also re-intensifying.

Hope I am wrong though and there is always Thursday. 

But if it goes wrong for us, its not really a massive fail given its kind of predicted as I have outlined above. Met Office are right to put out a big warning and many areas will see snow but not everywhere, I just hope Leeds/Sheffield aren't the unlucky spots.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow
6 minutes ago, Tim A said:

Hi all,

Hoping for some snow tomorrow like the rest of you, but think we need to remain very cautious, quite a few could miss out tomorrow.

19013000_2806.gif:

Take the Euro4 accumulation chart, shows a horrible gap with the band breaking up.  Some other high res models have shown this over the last 24 hours.  ECM accumulation chart isn't great either.  Met Office automated for Leeds doesn't look that great, with light sleet/snow and the Met Office warning does state that some areas might not see any snow.  The band will also arrive mid-afternoon which isn't ideal.  Personally here I think it will be light sleet/snow, with it just too warm and not heavy enough to accumulate with those to the east and west doing better.  E Yorks might be a better bet with it arriving later when its gone dark and also re-intensifying.

Hope I am wrong though and there is always Thursday. 

But if it goes wrong for us, its not really a massive fail given its kind of predicted as I have outlined above. Met Office are right to put out a big warning and many areas will see snow but not everywhere, I just hope Leeds/Sheffield aren't the unlucky spots.

Could of guessed this might and will probably happen just my luck

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
3 hours ago, Harsh Climate said:

Haven’t had time to look at the models yet is the low showing a slightly more northern track Hence the downgrade for the south? Or is it the angle?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Im just preparing for diddly squat all this week, then i wont be disappointed and could end up being pleasantly surprised. 

But i will be staying out the cold hunt thread all week because i dont want the southerners snow rubbing in my face  

I hope it p*****s it down after any snow they get  (sorry, snow brings out my inner child lol) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

As much as i like the GFS upgrades the high res models do suggest the front will be a bit fragmented here and form afterwards (plus it may rain first which is something) but i shall be glad if it falls.

Thursday looks very good now although i have been stupid enough to volunteer to be in Sheffield on thursday night so the train home will be interesting.

Todays runs are a massive upgrade but may not last.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme in Winter , Cricket Weather in Summer , Golf weather all year
29 minutes ago, snow*please said:

Im just preparing for diddly squat all this week, then i wont be disappointed and could end up being pleasantly surprised. 

But i will be staying out the cold hunt thread all week because i dont want the southerners snow rubbing in my face  

I hope it p*****s it down after any snow they get  (sorry, snow brings out my inner child lol) 

Be gentle with them , they may get snow this time for a short while but they have to live down south ALL of the time , it's us that gets the better deal  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, MarkM said:

Be gentle with them , they may get snow this time for a short while but they have to live down south ALL of the time , it's us that gets the better deal  

Point noted Thanks for that haha 

Posted
26 minutes ago, sausage said:

is the gap not vale of york though which is very low dwn?!!

That Euro4 gap is us unfortunately. Might not happen though. Case of wait and see.