Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

On 25/12/2018 at 13:45, Winter Cold said:

Merry Christmas everyone! 

I hope you are all having a safe and happy day.

Let's hope January brings us some snow. Was nice to see a hard frost on the car last night but unfortunately even that had melted by the morning!

Let's hope next year brings us what we crave ?️

Well its quiet in here as expected and no sign of these thread picking up in the next week or so.

Facebook memories kindly reminded me of 4 years ago today which put a smile on my face, a runner moving into cold air was forecast to give a good dumping to parts of West/South Yorkshire.

Living in North Yorkshire I was quite frustrated by the forecast, so decided to take the other half to the Peak District for the day, in hope that we would see lots of snow on the drive home.

We weren't disappointed! We left Edale near Castleton at 5pm and we didnt get back home till around 10pm, mainly due to the amount of stranded drivers between Castleton and Sheffield.

I was driving a Vauxhall Vectra at the time, only FWD but had 4 good winter tyres on which coped well in the fairly wet snow.

We did however get stuck around Wadsley Bridge on the A61 in Sheffield as it became a complete standstill for around an hour and half, eventually managed to turn around and join the M1 near Meadowhall.

I do have some pictures somewhere that I'm going to try and dig out, but with this thread being mainly folk who benefited from this event it would be good to see some pictures to cheer us all up.

Probably the best snowfall I have seen so close to Xmas day itself.

@The PIT

48419022_746083562432515_83831012806958749015765_213805979524585_21898533285763448396854_2258610761094567_6321308088586448921803_1246342142171261_49962658082471

Edited by vizzy2004

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
46 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Well its quiet in here as expected and no sign of these thread picking up in the next week or so.

Facebook memories kindly reminded me of 4 years ago today which put a smile on my face, a runner moving into cold air was forecast to give a good dumping to parts of West/South Yorkshire.

Living in North Yorkshire I was quite frustrated by the forecast, so decided to take the other half to the Peak District for the day, in hope that we would see lots of snow on the drive home.

We weren't disappointed! We left Edale near Castleton at 5pm and we didnt get back home till around 10pm, mainly due to the amount of stranded drivers between Castleton and Sheffield.

I was driving a Vauxhall Vectra at the time, only FWD but had 4 good winter tyres on which coped well in the fairly wet snow.

We did however get stuck around Wadsley Bridge on the A61 in Sheffield as it became a complete standstill for around an hour and half, eventually managed to turn around and join the M1 near Meadowhall.

I do have some pictures somewhere that I'm going to try and dig out, but with this thread being mainly folk who benefited from this event it would be good to see some pictures to cheer us all up.

@The PIT

48419022_746083562432515_83831012806958749015765_213805979524585_21898533285763448396854_2258610761094567_6321308088586448921803_1246342142171261_49962658082471

I remember this well!

It was chucking it down initially, then turned to snow in a very short space of time. Got deep quickly.

We were out for a family meal and got there ok in the rain and then it all went crazy and because it was marginal it was those big sticky flakes that built up quickly. Lasted a few days after too 

Edited by Winter Cold
  • Like 1

Posted

I managed to find out 2 pics I took from 26/12/14; here's Crosspool, Sheffield on boxing Day night just as it was stopping:

FB_IMG_1545905506514.thumb.jpg.9a33f10c7dcdddca9ef8d40559d0c183.jpgFB_IMG_1545905515831.thumb.jpg.dd70f9cafc98e55cba6e4b015931a540.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
16 hours ago, vizzy2004 said:

@The PIT

Good morning. At the time how did you find the winter tyres on your Vauxhall vectra. Ie climbing slopes or hills.

Sorry to ask the question. 

Im just interested. 

Hope you've had a good Christmas 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

So nice to see snowy pics, as we are almost in January and i have seen no snow  

Hopefully it starts to at least turn cold soon! 

Anyways...wishing all of you all the best for 2019!

Posted
On 27/12/2018 at 11:07, sorepaw1 said:

Good morning. At the time how did you find the winter tyres on your Vauxhall vectra. Ie climbing slopes or hills.

Sorry to ask the question. 

Im just interested. 

Hope you've had a good Christmas 

Had 4 Michelin Alpin tyres on with good tread. Not gonna lie, apart from an overheating clutch there was nothing stopping me, no matter the incline Vectra just ploughed through.

Posted
20 minutes ago, snow*please said:

So nice to see snowy pics, as we are almost in January and i have seen no snow  

Hopefully it starts to at least turn cold soon! 

Anyways...wishing all of you all the best for 2019!

Tough one so far, surely we can see a repeat of 2013/14.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,fairly warm in summer

yet another snowless December in hull,amazing to think that the heaviest snowfall in the last 20 years in hull was way back in last week of November ,early December 2010.even the much hyped megafreeze last feb prouduced barely an inch in hull..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and crisp..
6 minutes ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

yet another snowless December in hull,amazing to think that the heaviest snowfall in the last 20 years in hull was way back in last week of November ,early December 2010.even the much hyped megafreeze last feb prouduced barely an inch in hull..

None over hear in cleethorpes either ! Plenty of winter yet to come though!❄️

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
17 hours ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

id even welcome a cold,clear and frosty high,these mild,damp and cloudy highs seem more common nowadays.

Looks like you'll get you wish for a few days before the temps return to more normal values.

Posted

Happy New Year everyone! I hope its a safe, happy and rewarding one for you all

Posted

Happy New Year everyone.  Well, the Sheffield Star is posting about snow and ice again, forecasting another SSW event around the 3rd/4th week of January, so what do you reckon?

Posted

The outlook is pretty dire for the feasible future. It's entirely possible that January ends up a complete write off. 

Usually I wouldn't be so gloomy but we've been locked into this pattern for so long now and the Met Office has pushed back any cold spell to the end of January. 

The wording in the meto extended outlook suggests there  could be some frontal snowfall which usually delivers to higher ground but that could be reserved for just Scotland. 

Posted
1 hour ago, 4wd said:

15th December for the snow starved masses

Gonna have to sell up and move to the Moors Colin, at least there is a small bit of snow interest in the worst of winters so far! 2 snow events so far up there, albeit very small and fleeting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Woweeee some sunshine !
It's a rare treat  ☀️  

Posted
15 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

Woweeee some sunshine !
It's a rare treat  ☀️  

Just watched the Beeb forecast. Dull cloudy which it certainly isn't. Lovely Spring day.

• Like 1

Posted

yes , sunny , lovely blue skies , no breeze and 9 c here in East Yorkshire.......time to get out and do some gardening. ( not dull and boring at all ) 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

yes , sunny , lovely blue skies , no breeze and 9 c here in East Yorkshire.......time to get out and do some gardening. ( not dull and boring at all ) 

I hate gardening but I've cut the lawns as they were dry enough.