Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
4 minutes ago, Barking_Mad said:

I'm off out this morning to buy my wife some yak trax (we've lost them from last year) as she's really, really scared of falling when there's ice. She loves them and never falls over. Anywhere in Tarn that sells them? 

There probably is , I'll have a look  

3 minutes ago, Yorkshirepudding said:

I only know to well what it’s like to be disabled on snow. I’ve been on crutches now for almost 2 years and when it snows it makes things so difficult. What time do you set off to Leeds?? 

Were due to leave at 4pm from Barnsley get to leeds for 5pm, get to arena for 6pm, getting picked up at 10.30pm to be brought home. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

In case you don't know, you can get a bus from the bus station to 5 mins walk of the arena. Numbers 6, 28 and 97. 

Also a shuttle bus

The Leeds CityBus operates a regular service Monday to Saturday daytimes and every 30 minutes Sunday daytime. This bus connects the Arena with the various parts of the city centre including the Bus and Rail stations.

Edited by Barking_Mad
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

CityBus got scrapped years ago. Number 5 takes that part of the route now.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.
3 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

CityBus got scrapped years ago. Number 5 takes that part of the route now.

Cheers, WYMetro should update their website! 

Posted
Just now, Barking_Mad said:

Cheers, WYMetro should update their website! 

In Huddersfield they still have a massive poster in the bus station advertising its arrival in 2006. That has long gone too.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Rather worrying going on the radar. It's showing it as 'sleet' just over the border in Lancashire which would mean it is falling as Freezing rain of a sort. Just hope as it gets higher it does turn to snow.

I love all weather bar Freezing rain, its the only weather that means you can't go outside at all as everywhere has a potential for serious injury.

• Like 1

Posted

3 minutes ago, cowdog said:

Rather worrying going on the radar. It's showing it as 'sleet' just over the border in Lancashire which would mean it is falling as Freezing rain of a sort. Just hope as it gets higher it does turn to snow.

I love all weather bar Freezing rain, its the only weather that means you can't go outside at all as everywhere has a potential for serious injury.

Too early to worry about freezing rain, thats not an issue until uppers are warmer in the afternoon. Almost everybody here should start as snow i think.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days

I know Weather apps aren’t the most reliable... But... 

2A6254C0-8B66-4941-8E68-6D92ACE2988B.png

Posted

Freezing Rain now on radar almost in our region - to the east of Manchester. This is going to be knife edge.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Yorkshirepudding said:

I know Weather apps aren’t the most reliable... But... 

2A6254C0-8B66-4941-8E68-6D92ACE2988B.png

-1C at 3pm with a good wind. Christ.

Good to see snow all the way through.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Feels proper cold to me today.
Just out walking m'whippet.  
Thermometer reads 2° C  but I see the 'feels like' is -4° C in the stiff breeze.
See what comes later.
Take care everyone.

B.  

Posted
1 minute ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Yup

Screenshot_20181215-094439_Met Office.jpg

That's more how i picture things. I am personally more worried about back edge rain than freezing rain falling instead of snow.

Sadly, very low dew points in advance probably mean tiny flakes.

Posted

Met office has updated the warning. Now starts at 13:00, but as they say, Freezing rain pockets will be before then - which is true given the one already on the radar.

Updated to slightly delay the start time until 1300 Saturday when the more widespread freezing rain will arrive. Some isolated pockets of freezing rain are possible before this and are covered by the snow & ice warning.

Posted
2 minutes ago, cowdog said:

Met office has updated the warning. Now starts at 13:00, but as they say, Freezing rain pockets will be before then - which is true given the one already on the radar.

Looking like a movie and takeaway night at home! don't fancy getting on a bus in this weather!.... 

Posted

Oh dear, that's a horrid update.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Just got off the top just as freezing sleet and rain arrived now stopped but had to scrape the windscreen before I set off back home. I think we've got a clue whats going to happen later on now. 

People on top who've gone out without water proofs are going to get in trouble pretty quickly with the wind up there as well. 

Posted
19 minutes ago, sausage said:

but why is the met office showing yeavy snow and saying blizzards later for our region!!!.........

Still maybe right it maybe heavy enough to through the warm air and cool it a bit. The front still looks fairly weak and disorganized still and the weakest bit is heading for us. So if it is going to be freezing rain that is a good bit of news. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Simply going to be now cast isn't it. Met still showing a few hours of snow for here.

It's currently 0c with dew point of -2 so you would think snow for a while at least....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Well can confirm a shower of rain in Leeds 12 Farnley 0c and - 2 dew point

Posted
8 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

Simply going to be now cast isn't it. Met still showing a few hours of snow for here.

It's currently 0c with dew point of -2 so you would think snow for a while at least....

Well if it isn't in the peak district it's unlikely to do so lower down. Interesting what the next bit of light prec produces although it may evaporate on the way down. Dew points count for nothing if you got a layer of warm air above.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
2 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Well if it isn't in the peak district it's unlikely to do so lower down. Interesting what the next bit of light prec produces although it may evaporate on the way down. Dew points count for nothing if you got a layer of warm air above.

Yeah true, there's just no way of knowing until the main stuff gets here later this afternoon.

Fingers crossed the front peps up a bit. Would just be nice to see some falling snow, haven't seen a flake yet lol

Posted

First time I can remember peering out at car windscreen to see if raining or not. Well if it is going to be freezing rain it's going to be light. The front not really all the beefy although the back edge has at the moment some heavier rain.