IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
7 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Thoughts on getting to and from leeds tomorrow night? 

Met office have Leeds and Bradford with Snow. GFS showing uppers of 5 degrees at that time. Temps 2c to 3c so I would expect rain. Everything else seems to be marginal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

I'm still hopeful for tomorrow, met office have extended the yellow snow warning down to well below us on the map so Yorkshire comfortably in it now. Graphics show 3 hours of heavy snow for me which isn't really high ground so fingers crossed!

Edited by Winter Cold

Posted
28 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Met office have Leeds and Bradford with Snow. GFS showing uppers of 5 degrees at that time. Temps 2c to 3c so I would expect rain. Everything else seems to be marginal.

EURO4 is more bullish even with 3.c uppers. Some significant accumulations as well. 

18121518_1412.gif

18121521_1412.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Local forecast has changed back to Snow again. Its all a question of timing if the cold uppers hang on, you won't get snow with 3C we will be in business.. Use this guide as it's very good and has served me well over the years. Ideally we want the rain to come in quicker then it's a dead cert at the moment I feel it's too far the wrong direction

• Thanks 1

Posted

I've noticed the temps on high ground in the North are quite a bit colder than those on low ground so there is definitely cold air in the upper atmosphere. Usually its low ground in Vale of York etc that are colder than here. 

LBA: -2.c

Bingley: -2.c 

Spadedam: - 2.c

Doncaster: + 2.c

Nottingham: + 1.c

Leeming: 0.c

Posted

With a big doom and gloom forecast this also has the potential of being a large met office chicken up as well with us ending up with just light rain and not a flake or bit of ice to be seen.  I don't think it will be that way though. Just a nasty day if we get freezing rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
3 hours ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Really don't know what to do, as I'm travelling from Barnsley on the bus to leeds about 4pm but getting picked up to be brought home at 10.45pm unsure what weather will be like at that time, will it be snow, freezing rain, etc will motorway be bad .... 

Like i said yesterday i think this will come down to nowcasting and a degree either side or slight difference in uppers/dewpoint could be the difference between a damp squib an ice rink or a snow fest for a time all on a knife edge a forecasters nightmare and also a nightmare for travellers.

Edited by Derbyshire_snow

Posted
2 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

Like i said yesterday i think this will come down to nowcasting and a degree either side or slight difference in uppers/dewpoint could be the difference between a damp squib an ice rink or a snow fest for a time all on a knife edge a forecasters nightmare and also a nightmare for travellers.

Good job we don't have our weather balloons the sky would be full of them tomorrow morning.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The question of snow or freezing rain comes down to who is south of the triple point. North of it should be snow.

It should be easy to see this on radar tonorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

hey all. 

Loving the cold air lately and the frost is nice to see, feels much more seasonal, right now i would be more than happy with just seeing a few flakes fall from the sky.

Posted

Better 180z so far uppers much better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, lightning, wind, frost, any extreme

Just drove from Scarborough to Hull and it was snowing a little bit just on the outskirts of Scarborough! 

• Like 1

Posted

Well the front looks fairly weak and fragmented so things shouldn't be too bad. Metogroup forecast indicating the main front may not be showing.yet whether that's right or not time will tell.

Posted

The 12 oz to me looks better for Snow although the front isn't that strong at the moment. So western areas in the morning should see a spell of light sleet and Snow spreading slowly eastward before we lose the cold uppers then it's a question of how strong the front is. The way the front is fragmented some people will see very little and it may stay dry in the morning.  Freezing rain is nasty but I prefer light freezing rain to heavy freezing rain as it will do a lot less damage. We shall see. If the front remains fragmented some people will see freezing rain and others will just see very little and wonder what all the fuss is about. If it's very active they'll know what the fuss is about.  

So still a case of now casting.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, The PIT said:

The 12 oz to me looks better for Snow although the front isn't that strong at the moment. So western areas in the morning should see a spell of light sleet and Snow spreading slowly eastward before we lose the cold uppers then it's a question of how strong the front is. The way the front is fragmented some people will see very little and it may stay dry in the morning.  Freezing rain is nasty but I prefer light freezing rain to heavy freezing rain as it will do a lot less damage. We shall see. If the front remains fragmented some people will see freezing rain and others will just see very little and wonder what all the fuss is about. If it's very active they'll know what the fuss is about.  

So still a case of now casting.

Thanks for this, still unsure if I should travel to leeds for the concert tonight?  as need to get home about 10.30pm 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
2 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Thanks for this, still unsure if I should travel to leeds for the concert tonight?  as need to get home about 10.30pm 

I think later is better as the front moves through and turns gradually back to “Normal” rain.... Delays on the likes of the M62 are very likely especially on the higher passes. The central spine of northern England is given for the worst maybe just slightly more west and North of Leeds but having said that depending on the time of your travel will be the factor. And then there’s the risk of delays from Accidents especially if we get freezing rain for a period it could get very nasty out there. So stay safe everyone . 

• Like 1

Posted

The only advice I can give is keep an eye on Netweather radar extra use the netweather original scale as this shows things more clearly . Also look at local traffic reports if there are any local forums look on them as they'll give an indication how about bad it is or not as well. Watch the temperatures if they get to 3C or 4C degrees you don't need to worry about freezing rain. Leeds Bradford Met office forecast still has temperatures close to freezing by 21:00 hrs.  Sheffield has it at 3C. Also bear in mind it takes a while for ice to melt even around 3C. 

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 1

Posted

@LeeSnowFan I live about 25 miles North West of Leeds I will post reports and pictures should they warrant it for you to give you an idea.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

@LeeSnowFanUniversity of Leeds has its own weather station and it's just half a mile up the road from the arena and centre of town

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ILEEDS34#history

• Thanks 1

Posted

Good bunch of helpful people here. I'll post conditions which will give you an idea on how things may change for you.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Thanks everyone appreciate it. I'm also concerned for my partner who is disabled and uses a walking aid so need to think of him as we are travelling from barnsley via coach to leeds then having to get to arena. 

I would normally love weather like this snow etc but when it falls on a event day I've had booked since august! I'm like nooooo but safety has to come first.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.
6 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Thanks everyone appreciate it. I'm also concerned for my partner who is disabled and uses a walking aid so need to think of him as we are travelling from barnsley via coach to leeds then having to get to arena. 

I would normally love weather like this snow etc but when it falls on a event day I've had booked since august! I'm like nooooo but safety has to come first.

I'm off out this morning to buy my wife some yak trax (we've lost them from last year) as she's really, really scared of falling when there's ice. She loves them and never falls over. Anywhere in Tarn that sells them? 

Posted
8 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

I only know to well what it’s like to be disabled on snow. I’ve been on crutches now for almost 2 years and when it snows it makes things so difficult. What time do you set off to Leeds??