Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

I'm due to go to an event in Leeds on Saturday night and be picked up about 10.30pm to be brought home to barnsley

what are peoples thoughts will it be safe enough to get to leeds as going via public transport. and will it be rain by 10.30pm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

I'm due to go to an event in Leeds on Saturday night and be picked up about 10.30pm to be brought home to barnsley

what are peoples thoughts will it be safe enough to get to leeds as going via public transport. and will it be rain by 10.30pm

My advice would be to stay tuned to the forecasts as it all looks up in the air at the moment it could come down to nowcasting really as the forecasts have changed 6 or 7 times in the last 2 days.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

My advice would be to stay tuned to the forecasts as it all looks up in the air at the moment it could come down to nowcasting really as the forecasts have changed 6 or 7 times in the last 2 days.

Thank you. being picked up by friends who are worried about the wether as they don't like venturing out in the snow, and don't want to get stuck in leeds. 

leaving barnsley about 4pm to the event so will keep checking until last minute! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
2 hours ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Thank you. being picked up by friends who are worried about the wether as they don't like venturing out in the snow, and don't want to get stuck in leeds. 

leaving barnsley about 4pm to the event so will keep checking until last minute! 

Certainly keep an aye on things, met office website currently showing heavy snow around then to 6pm for my area which is 120m above sea level so Saturday evening could be tricky traveling around Yorkshire.

Feeling confident we'll see snow falling at least everywhere for a while, which will be amazing with all the Christmas lights and decs up

Posted
10 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

Certainly keep an aye on things, met office website currently showing heavy snow around then to 6pm for my area which is 120m above sea level so Saturday evening could be tricky traveling around Yorkshire.

Feeling confident we'll see snow falling at least everywhere for a while, which will be amazing with all the Christmas lights and decs up

I love snow don't get me wrong I live for it lol every year I spend hours on here when snow is due! but this saturday was hoping to get to the event! lol  

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Just light snow us mid afternoon then sleet and rain for a few hours. But again this cold keeps getting extended so wouldn't be surprised if it changed again tomorrow.

Posted
1 hour ago, LeeSnowFan said:

I love snow don't get me wrong I live for it lol every year I spend hours on here when snow is due! but this saturday was hoping to get to the event! lol  

Used to work in Horsforth Leeds and it was amazing the number of times I got in from Sheffield without issues while people a mile away couldn't get into work. Also had to work 2 til 9 one Sunday in four and the porters used to get a bit annoyed as they wanted to go but I generally left only half n hour early. Again never had a problem getting home. That was in a Nissan Micra and later a Proton saloon car. Can't remember the exact model. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Screenshot_20181213-205313.thumb.png.bc2ceb008a5aa801f4b963a6c60b36a8.png

Saturday looking like a great winters day at the mo, in fact an ice day! Love it ?

Then heavy snow for a while to watch, bliss

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.
11 hours ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Jane Mcdonald concert? I've got tickets for my wife and little one as a birthday present. Better not ruin it even though I'm only 4 miles away! 

Edited by Barking_Mad

Posted
1 hour ago, Barking_Mad said:

Jane Mcdonald concert? I've got tickets for my wife and little one as a birthday present. Better not ruin it even though I'm only 4 miles away! 

Yes I'm a huge fan and see her everytime he is in leeds, I'm coming from Barnsley on public transport but getting picked up after the concert, 

It's not just the snow could be freezing rain which is a worry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

Looking at the 00z and chiefly the 06z snow possible for xmas eve and xmas day.

BBC say very mild wet and windy.

Im confused but optimistic. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I'm concerned about the strength of the block? It has been , to my witnessing, out performing the forecast esp. its ability to mop up rain from the fronts that tried to come in and allow clear nights when cloudy was forecast?

If the precipitation stalls then we might see a period of heavy snow under a section of the incoming precip?

Might turn into an interesting afternoon/evening for the West of Yorks tomorrow?

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Amber warning for ICE for our region!

Not giving me much confidence getting to the concert tomorrow! is it worth taking the risk? but don't fancy being stuck in leeds. 

I’ve got an event in Leeds tomorrow aswell and I’ve called it off not worth the risk! 

Posted
1 minute ago, Love Snow said:

I’ve got an event in Leeds tomorrow aswell and I’ve called it off not worth the risk! 

Really don't know what to do, as I'm travelling from Barnsley on the bus to leeds about 4pm but getting picked up to be brought home at 10.45pm unsure what weather will be like at that time, will it be snow, freezing rain, etc will motorway be bad .... 

Posted
45 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

I'm concerned about the strength of the block? It has been , to my witnessing, out performing the forecast esp. its ability to mop up rain from the fronts that tried to come in and allow clear nights when cloudy was forecast?

If the precipitation stalls then we might see a period of heavy snow under a section of the incoming precip?

Might turn into an interesting afternoon/evening for the West of Yorks tomorrow?

Yes I agree with this. The computer models seem to have a tendency to underestimate the block...happens alot...

Posted
2 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Really don't know what to do, as I'm travelling from Barnsley on the bus to leeds about 4pm but getting picked up to be brought home at 10.45pm unsure what weather will be like at that time, will it be snow, freezing rain, etc will motorway be bad .... 

Freezing rain seems to be on the cards...that's a dangerous potential for me....I think you would be ok if it was just the snow....

Posted
10 minutes ago, Nizzer said:

Driving up from the south tomorrow, up to Pontefract, then on to York to take my son to the railway museum. Picked the perfect day for all that driving!   

oh dear! well if you do go pack essentials!  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sunny_AS said:

Freezing rain seems to be on the cards...that's a dangerous potential for me....I think you would be ok if it was just the snow....

Yep the freezing rain risk is what's concerning me now. IMBY I'm thinking higher parts of Sheffield could see accumulating snow for a time later tomorrow but I'm not liking the idea of Sheffield city centre in freezing rain conditions!

Posted

Hmmmm the meto is pretty much going for rain for the majority of the north of England on their latest video forecast. With any snow confined to Scotland or the tops of the hills but no mention of accumulation south of Scotland. With The band turning to snow on the back end but mostly a freezing rain fest. Judging from past experience I'm inclined to agree but it seems so up in the air what with the five day automated forecast showing heavy snow all day in Leeds. 

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

What is everyone's opinion on tomorrow?

I am meant to be driving back to the Midland's tomorrow but if it is looking likely that central Leeds will see some snow i'd like to stay. Just a bit concerned getting caught in the freezing rain on my way back down the m1 if I do decide to go home.

Posted

EURO4 update is interesting but only for those inland in central areas.

Posted

Looking at the GFS the uppers still don't support snow. That got me thinking about freezing rain and bbc forecast lo and behold mentioned freezing rain. This what the warnings mention as well. This will be worse than Snow. Snow at the moment looks rather unlikely so it's fingers crossed and the temperatures rise faster than shown or the cold uppers hang on and we get snow. Snow was never really on for us.

Sunday may give a surprise. We have the cold uppers and catch the edge of a cold front.Snow more likely with that system.

Edited by The PIT