Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
14 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Certainly a nippy spell. No frosts as yet but can't have been far off as we dropped to 6.7C the other day.

So far today apart from being on the cool side little in the way of rain. However there maybe a a squall line forming on the radar. Normally these decay as they approach us and reform afterwards but it's an interesting feature to look at.

Expected to get soaked in Sheffield this morning at work after seeing the forecast but actually it remained mostly dry.

Since I got home its been tipping it down, the first meaningful rainfall of the month just short of 5mm currently.

Posted
On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 15:43, vizzy2004 said:

Expected to get soaked in Sheffield this morning at work after seeing the forecast but actually it remained mostly dry.

Since I got home its been tipping it down, the first meaningful rainfall of the month just short of 5mm currently.

We've had rain almost every day this month so far. We are a few miles north of Brigg in North Lincs. It has been torrential at times over several days this week including today. Amazing the difference only 50 miles makes!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Helena looks to bring some strong winds briefly to north of Yorkshire but a feature on Thursday may bring strong winds for all of Yorkshire plus heavy rain Thursday evening into the night. 

Posted

Good Morning 

It's time to come out of the woodwork! as we head into autumn :) I wonder what twists and turns we shall have this year! I'm hoping for a brutal winter seeing as we had a very hot few months! but we shall see! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Weather warnings for me all gone I see .. 
Too right as it is barely breezy !

B.

Posted

Yes embarrassing warnings yesterday. I think the met was living in a parallel Universe even their own criteria said a warning shouldn't have been issued.

Anyways Saturday night and Sunday could be very interesting if it comes off. Should result in flooding and wind damage. ECM has now picked it up so the odds have gone up a bit.

Posted

The Weather seems to have turned interesting where i am right now as it is absoutely pounding it down where i am in Sheffield-trying to make up my mind whether this is Helene or Ali passing through.

And it seems we now have rain everyday baring Saturday daytime up until Sunday so that rainfall total should be shooting up for the rest of this week.

Edited by Weather26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Surprised theres no warning for home or in Sheffield today. 

Currently at work in Sheffield and truck is really getting blown about and saw a lady nearly get struck by a tree branch in the city centre earlier.

Funnily enough wasn't there a warning for yesterday for Storm Helene yet it wasn't much more than a typical autumnal windy day.

Posted

Not to bad really in Sheffield we just hit 49 mph but still brought a few trees down I hear. No doubt due to them being in leaf. So as far as warnings normally go the winds shouldn't trigger a warning cough cough

The met office warning system is a though joke. If Helena got a yellow today should have been red. I think the met office disappeared into alternative reality for Helena. Nearly as bad as the storm that never was and must come in at number two. At least the twigs on the trees moved a little for Helena I suppose and I guess there were a few traumatized crisp packets on the morning concerned.

Sundays storm still uncertain may not even develop and if it does still may disappear further south into France.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

With Bridge replacement still in full flow ( after various delays over summer seeing the crews kick back in the Sun!) with a 'pinch point' where the new bridges foundations are being put in.

If either today , or Sunday, proves excessively wet we might find some issues if only scaffolding etc being washed away?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Absolutely tipping down for the last hour.
Could well be some flooding issues.
And the storm Bronagh gales to come later.  A lively day.

B.

Posted

Very heavy in sheffield 49mm so far according to the davis. However tipping buckets aren't the best in severe conditions so it maybe lower.

Posted

I avoided heeley bridge on the slow journey to the dentist. Too risky to go that way.

Posted

Very heavy rain here and has been since I got home at about 5.30pm, looking at the radar the heaviest rain seems to be in a fairly narrow band. Mrs said it has been raining hard since about 2.30pm, there was some surface water flooding coming home. Yesterday a tree blew down blocking the main village street. Wanted to go down and get a picture but too wet. As I have been typing this it's gone from heavy to torrential.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

It's horrible out there. Sheffield is gridlock. Taken me nearly 2 hours to get back to Rotherham.

Davis reading 48.8mm at the mo, wow!

That's huge for 1 day, and it's still going up of course!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

It's horrible out there. Sheffield is gridlock. Taken me nearly 2 hours to get back to Rotherham.

How many hours is it forecast to rain for ? could we end up with another 2007 event?

Posted
32 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

How many hours is it forecast to rain for ? could we end up with another 2007 event?

What everyone forgets about 2007 was the wet period. There was a lot more rain on the 14th of July but little in the way of flooding however it rained nearly everyday up until the 25th. The river sheaf didn't even flood on the 25th Heeley Bridge flooded due to blocked drains and I know that because I was there and the Bridge inn cellar didn't flood which it does when the sheaf breaks it's banks. We are already past the the amount of rainfall according to the Davis but it's been a dry month until now. I wouldn't call it another 2007 the weather pattern is different although more rain is forecast tonight so we may push 60 to 70mm and looking at the Radar looks like another heavy pulse is coming so we may beat that. Have a look hear for heavy rain events since 1989 and there's quiet a few of them and they occur a lot more regularly than one thinks. http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk/Averages/Heaviest_Rainfall_From_1989.pdf

Posted
58 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

Look at the latest Radar but we haven't got a warning due to the lack of impact. Me thinks records could be broken tonight. 

River Sheaf one the fastest reacting rivers to rainfall in the country

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/8299

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/9040

What gets me about this river is how high the rainfall rate has to be to maintain the levels. Soon drops away.

Edited by The PIT
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
43 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Look at the latest Radar but we haven't got a warning due to the lack of impact. Me thinks records could be broken tonight. 

River Sheaf one the fastest reacting rivers to rainfall in the country

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/8299

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/9040

What gets me about this river is how high the rainfall rate has to be to maintain the levels. Soon drops away.

Yes it's going to be a very high total by midnight!

Easily my highest record but only had my station since May

Posted
19 minutes ago, Love Snow said:

26mm here so far all seems a bit quieter for now 

Looks like more is on the way. Pity it isn't snow wouldn't be at work tomorrow :)

However if we do get another 25 mm or 50 mm getting to work tomorrow will be an issue for quite a few people.

Posted

Round two started.....