Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
3 minutes ago, ntc03533278 said:

It thundered and lightened in doncaster at 6pm 

yes they just scrapped into eastern parts of SY but that was about it.

Raining here now but no thunder

Posted

We've just gone from 25.1C to 22.3C in the space of 30 minutes with a huge breeze but no rain (yet!) 

ETA;Just before 9:00pm the rain has finally reached but nothing to heavy yet.

Edited by Weather26

Posted

Wow - those storms out of York earlier took some extra oomph from the moors - that was a fantastic storm, and now an hour or two of moderate rain from the hang-back to water the parks. Nice to see the East of the country get some rain - no doubt the West will get theirs tomorrow and Sunday.

• Like 1

Posted

Still raining here, that is now a full 2 hours of moderate to torrential rain tonight on top of a few hours of heavy rain last night. 

While it is great to have the rain for the garden, I fear this may be the start of a gradual  breakdown of the heatwave. My gut feeling is that we may return to normal UK summer weather within a couple of weeks (eg. wet). We are just a week into the kids summer hols. My wife and I had hoped the warm weather would last out the entire summer hols. 

Posted

Certainly the fresher air is making inroads now. Ive gone from 29.4c at 6pm to 19.7c now, so a 10c drop off in 3 hours!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

Certainly the fresher air is making inroads now. Ive gone from 29.4c at 6pm to 19.7c now, so a 10c drop off in 3 hours!

Snap! We have almost identical temps and drop to yours.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, OldLandRover said:

Snap! We have almost identical temps and drop to yours.

That'll be the storm, not the fresher air. It's still mid-20s here in Manchester, where it's remained dry.

Posted
9 minutes ago, alr1970 said:

That'll be the storm, not the fresher air. It's still mid-20s here in Manchester, where it's remained dry.

True, although this week we've seen a steady decline in daytime highs. Started the week with a high of 34c, by Wednesday it was just 32c and today just 30c. Night time temps have followed a similar trend.

We'll see how it goes next week but at this rate we'll be back to normal summer temps by mid week here. We are pretty rural location so don't suffer UHI effect. 

I thought the models were also showing cooler temps next week too?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Amazing hailstones from yesterday reported falling in Yorkshire.
Y'ouch if you were hit by those !

https://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/huge-golf-ball-sized-hailstones-14962468?_ga=2.36056616.900395479.1532272507-744007733.1509042468

0_Hailstones.jpg

0_These-huge-golf-ball-sized-hailstones-have-been-falling-in-Yorkshire.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy

Surface drought is now over. We have now had more than the July average of rainfall since Thursday afternoon in Lincolnshire. 57.4mm of rain has fallen with another 10-15mm tomorrow. Greener grass already! 

Posted

Much cooler today, max 23.3c and already down to 14.7c here now, may get lower later. Cool enough for a decent sleep

A welcome change from the heat of late.

Rain finally stopped here at lunchtime after delivering 40mm over last 3 days. The spring fed well is up four feet already, nearly back to normal summer depth.

Posted

Another day of glorious rain today. Rained heavily most of the morning and then light rain until about an hour ago. It has also been quite windy today although we have had no further thunderstorms.

Max temp today was 20c

Lawn is now mostly green again and my wife's veg garden is looking much healthier. The beans and squash seemed to have doubled their growth in just a few days. We might yet have a decent crop. (sadly the tomatoes suffered badly from high winds and we have lost a few of them)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

It's rained on each of the past 4 days and I am already sick of seeing it! Hopefully we get no more rain next week.

Posted
18 hours ago, cheese said:

It's rained on each of the past 4 days and I am already sick of seeing it! Hopefully we get no more rain next week.

You've had 6 weeks of warm dry weather, surely better than a normal UK summer?

Anybody with a garden or specifically a veg garden is very grateful for this rain. I'm sure the farmers are happy too. Another month of drought would have surely led to significant crop failures and subsequent supply issues, excessive imports and increased food costs to consumers so the rain is very welcome.

Anyway, the dry spell was bound to break eventually and be replaced with rain especially after the media made such a song and dance about water shortages and hosepipe bans. The kids have also just broken up for summer hols and as any parent knows, planning days out becomes much more tedious and troublesome with variable weather. You could almost guarantee it would rain soon after the start of their hols. I also wouldn't be surprised if somebody in government was planning to announce a 'minister of drought', guaranteed to bring rain................

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Lunch time today we had a lone shotgun clap of Thunder that not only set off car alarms but seems to form the central point of any conversation in the valley!

Posted

Been an odd week for weather. Quite muggy last couple of days but very cloudy here most days. First half of week was very pleasant with temps upto 25c, fresher air and a cool breeze. It did get upto 28.6c here yesterday but under alot of grey cloud, even had a 10 minute rain shower early evening. 

Garden is looking much healthier after last weekends rain. Our hedge seems to have put on alot of foliage this week and the lawn is not only back to green but now needs mowing!

Posted

Nearly got to 30c today. Maxed out at 29.7 just before 6pm :)

Posted

Another really hot day here, just shy of 28 °C
About 4.30pm we saw the two little rainbows of Sun Dogs in the sky.

B.  :)

Posted

And also of note tonight I think .. the absolute stillness .. not even a breath of breeze.

B.

Posted

Made 30.2 ° C here according to my reading.
Melting 27 ° C in the house as I type, urgh.
I won't be sorry to see temps dropping now.

B.

Posted

yes it was very stuffy yesterday, almost got to 30 again here too. Im glad to have a fresher few days now, feels lovely outside and not to be sweating :)