Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

So the possibility of some measurable rainfall round these parts early next week looking less and less likely. And nothing much in the reliable timeframe on the models. I wonder how long this is going to last.............

Posted

not sure where the media are getting their 'heatwave' figures from? Some UHI affected concrete inner city weather station? We've only seen a max of 24.6c today so far. Significantly lower than forecast. I'm not complaining, it is beautiful weather but hardly more than a typical summers day temperature. Actually cooler and more pleasant today than earlier in week. Having grown up in the 70's with weather like this lasting for 10-12 weeks and having to get water from military tankers parked in our street, it does amuse me that the media seem to hype 'normal' seasonal weather as some extraordinary event.

I do concede that our spring fed well is very low compared to last 15 years but then we've just finished a warming cycle with its wet summers, now in a cooling cycle with drier summers so it is difficult to compare. Suspect we may have a few years now of cold winters and warm dry summers like late 70's early 80's?

Edited by OldLandRover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
19 hours ago, OldLandRover said:

not sure where the media are getting their 'heatwave' figures from? Some UHI affected concrete inner city weather station? We've only seen a max of 24.6c today so far. Significantly lower than forecast. I'm not complaining, it is beautiful weather but hardly more than a typical summers day temperature. Actually cooler and more pleasant today than earlier in week. Having grown up in the 70's with weather like this lasting for 10-12 weeks and having to get water from military tankers parked in our street, it does amuse me that the media seem to hype 'normal' seasonal weather as some extraordinary event.

I do concede that our spring fed well is very low compared to last 15 years but then we've just finished a warming cycle with its wet summers, now in a cooling cycle with drier summers so it is difficult to compare. Suspect we may have a few years now of cold winters and warm dry summers like late 70's early 80's?

The heatwave is in other parts of the UK, like north west England, the south west etc. No heatwave conditions for anywhere else, just pleasantly warm and sunny. The big talking point is the dryness - and to be fair it's basically been sunny every day since Friday last week which is pretty good going for this country (and looks set to continue into next week).

The 70s had two good summers - 1975 and 1976. Otherwise it was a pretty unremarkable decade for summer weather.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Hi cheese, 75 and 76 were exceptional summers however there were plenty of long sunny dry summers throughout 70's and 80's. While no out right record heat, they were at least very pleasant, unlike the wet/dismal stuff we've had for many summers in the last 20 years. Indeed, my parents got fed up of spending money on foreign holidays only to find UK just as warm/dry so they had an outdoor pool built and stayed in UK. It got alot of use throughout the 80's.

What we are experiencing at the moment is the sort of summers we had back then. We've actually had a really long run of good weather here this year, last two weeks of May and first week of June had good amounts of sun. Had two weeks of changeable stuff then more warm, sunny weather. Best run of good weather since 2011 for us I think. 2011 would be difficult to beat, we had ace weather from May to October, I stripped and rebuilt a Land Rover on our drive that year.

Posted

Another amazing weekend weatherwise but could really do with rain now! (haven't needed to say that in a long time )

Our well is lowest that I can remember and garden desperately needs water. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Sun is great but the general warmth level is getting a bit boring. if it rains for a few days Ill be asking where the sun is though :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Leeds University weather station showing just 5mm of rain in the last 40 days and none at all in the last 16 days.

Edited by Barking_Mad
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Yes, day after day dry here .
The grass is quite straw coloured.  So much work watering the veg plot.
Felt hotter today. 28 C reading at 4pm.

B.

Posted

We had 30c on our weather station at 4pm. Quite odd as it had been quite cool most of the day but sun finally broke late afternoon and wow, got very hot, very fast! Desperate for some rain, our veg plot is struggling!

Posted

I have a reading of 30.2 C at the moment.
Too hot for the dog walk. I'll have to stay in with a cold drink and all the sport  ⚽

B.  

Edited by Beverley Lass

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Dark clouds forming overhead. Looks like rain maybe coming! :yahoo:

Posted
18 hours ago, cowdog said:

Dark clouds forming overhead. Looks like rain maybe coming! :yahoo:

Hehe, yeah, I drove back from Nottingham yesterday and had light rain for about 30 mins on M18/M180, first time had to use wipers in a month, got to be a record in itself

We then got light rain at home for half hour yesterday early evening. Sadly not heavy enough to do much for the garden but still pleasant to have a cool break in the weather. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

So MetO alter the warnings for tomorrow and bring us just inside...... not a problem......... if we didn't have all manner of equipment and blockages in the river a.t.m. that is!!!

We'd better see nothing over the Calder catchment area or there will be some interesting times ahead!

Posted
7 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

So MetO alter the warnings for tomorrow and bring us just inside...... not a problem......... if we didn't have all manner of equipment and blockages in the river a.t.m. that is!!!

We'd better see nothing over the Calder catchment area or there will be some interesting times ahead!

Can't imagine a downpour will do any good for the likes of Hedben Bridge - imagine all that water running off the rock-solid hills!

The plants might be desperate for rain but I'm certainly not. Hoping all downpours avoid here tomorrow.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
17 minutes ago, cheese said:

Can't imagine a downpour will do any good for the likes of Hedben Bridge - imagine all that water running off the rock-solid hills!

The plants might be desperate for rain but I'm certainly not. Hoping all downpours avoid here tomorrow.

Yes that would be worrying Cheese,as for the plants,grass,tree's etc a downpore would be useless too as the ground has formed a solid crust and the water would just run off,as for catchment areas there would be dramatic scenes from run offs so flooding would be an issue.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

Reached 30 C here again. Feels baking hot in the full sun.  Urgh.
Weeks since we had any rain at all.  Getting very hard for some wildlife and plants.

B.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Feels warm out but thankfully the current forecast for the week is fairly average with tomorrow's front beefed up. 

Posted

Front not far from west Yorkshire now and the warm air has finally gone (feels lovely and refreshing after a humid day). Looks to be slower but about as substantial as GFS forecast. Should see a good hour of rain from it.

Posted

I'm still hopeful that most of it will miss here. It looks to be moving more NNE than NE.

Yes feeding on scraps here too; not much rain expected  Will welcome a few fresher days though before a hopeful reload come the weekend and next week 

Posted

we've finally had some decent rain HURRAH!!

Started very lightly at 7:30pm here (just north of Brigg), got heavier by 9pm and still raining now. Garden has had a real good soaking which was really needed after yet another baking weekend. We got 32.8c here on Saturday, not only hottest day of year for us but hottest day since 2011.

• Like 1