Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
Just now, boyzie said:

Well it's snowing sideways here now.

Few tiny flakes blowing in wind here.

Posted

If you replay the radar you can see the heavier showers descending towards Bradford from 16:00.

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Will be driving from University area to Crookes, Jack Fulton's shop on main road, then heading down other side to Hillsborough from there.

PS: Its a 26 tonne lorry, hence my concern :p

It’s all clear now.. snowplough and a few gritters . You’ll be fine 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Well that stuff from the south east is definately making its way towards us and there is ppn building in situ around us at the mo too. Could be another covering again by morning lol :laugh:

Edited by Winter Cold

Posted
32 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

Well that stuff from the south east is definately making its way towards us and there is ppn building in situ around us at the mo too. Could be another covering again by morning lol :laugh:

I don't recall that on the forcast but it does look to be heading our way if not a little too far West?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
7 minutes ago, boyzie said:

I don't recall that on the forcast but it does look to be heading our way if not a little too far West?

yeah certainly not forecast, and it could still miss us and just affect the midlands, it is moving NW steadily but ill keep an eye on it for a little longer :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Che said:

A sensuous feather bed of deep white fallen snow here in the Hope Valley tonight, with icicle bedposts and spun-drift-dunes of compressed powder.

A welcome candle-lit refuge at the hidden away Shack after a day wandering on the hill.

There’s a chap in the far field who has insisted on staying under canvas with his vociferous dog these past two nights. A red dome and a white dog with two bright pink mouths. Snow-stuck fur and clothes. Muddy-thawing paws and boots. I took them an extra sleeping bag and a hot water bottle - as the night is charged with ice - cold like a stab of hope; cool, like a streak of courage and thin-grinning as the sliver of waxing hours past a new moon destined to be rising beyond the wind freeze and sky-brushing trees.

beautifully poetic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Heat

Could someone help please, I have a meeting tomorrow morning 10:30 near Mansfield. Would come off Junction 29 M1 and about 10 miles on the A roads. What's the situation on the roads please? Thanks

Posted
6 minutes ago, sawan said:

Could someone help please, I have a meeting tomorrow morning 10:30 near Mansfield. Would come off Junction 29 M1 and about 10 miles on the A roads. What's the situation on the roads please? Thanks

Roads are fine around there

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Heat
Just now, wrcstarlet said:

Roads are fine around there

Thanks mate :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Well what a beast from the east #2 that was

last night was whiteout conditions here with snow blowing all over the place,not seen that since the great Feb 1991 cold spell

today,me,my daughter and my mate went to the Coach and horses rock formation in the peak district,AND IT WAS VERY WINDY

here is a few pics

1,was a little snow drift as we began our journey

2,was the Coach and horses rock formation

3&4,was the sunset over Mam tor way,stunning

5,was on the way back on the A74 when a snow drift was blowing off the field and covering the road,we had to get out and push a few cars up in the opposite direction,even a police car

DSC01854.thumb.JPG.e0474fc11a51362401d7845135622d7b.JPGDSC01860.thumb.JPG.13d30e6050d34c67e55e8486041a3e42.JPGDSC01859.thumb.JPG.6b726bc8a4704058faf1c5a5826788b4.JPGDSC01861.thumb.JPG.8c3ae263639c1cca669fbde7366ea119.JPGDSC01862.thumb.JPG.df5afd5ceaa75fb085fd599ac1e24ba5.JPG

here are some stills from the clips i took and will be uploading them when i have the time:)

1,a digger was left there,they are doing some work to the paths

2,3,4 and 5,a huge snow drift(several feet) on the edge viewing over the derwent reservoir

6,is further up and looking at that snow drift with Ladybower in the background

7&8,my dog was loving it

9,our final aproach,the Coach and horses.

vlcsnap-error068.thumb.png.937a692ba9208f3e99cded98d88ea80a.pngvlcsnap-error397.thumb.png.da2d1f64809352abec5945122442ba23.pngvlcsnap-error895.thumb.png.30ba8d3fd5dadb2005b5428801098e8d.pngvlcsnap-error556.thumb.png.be10272a2a3ecb8e3a51674f2fbc8fb3.pngvlcsnap-error547.thumb.png.b8b2dcbc1254e1a8d0619d8af66b2f36.pngvlcsnap-error937.thumb.png.f05ab75c1190ef8e37a4b9b166dd3f81.pngvlcsnap-error431.thumb.png.73e612ff7af7321d14112c07a79cef0e.pngvlcsnap-error275.thumb.png.90b12dbd4242946e4b82e7510d39cfa0.pngvlcsnap-error029.thumb.png.2c60c85a83258d2478c6b2925e5f3eba.png

it has been a great day out but the wind was really strong that it blew my daughter over a couple of times but she got back up and got on with it,she was brave today as this was her first to tackle such conditions and distance,good on her:D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,fairly warm in summer

Saturday afternoon in hull the snow showers were getting heavier,it was white over,with the met office amber warning of snow showers getting even heavier and more prolonged in the evening and night,i was confidently expecting the heaviest snowfall in hull since 2010 by sunday morning.amazingly the showers suddenly petered out as soon as it turned dark.very disappointing weekend.seems heavy snowfall has become a thing of the past in east Yorkshire.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Nightmare pavements this morning so gave up walking in. Side roads sheet ice but no problem with correct gear selection and gentle breaking. Sun came out and surprised how well the snow hung on. Still got a drift in the back garden and snow still on the hedges.;

Windows dirty again from the level of pollution in the snow. Times those pesky Russians and Eu countries cleared their air up. :)

• Like 1

Posted

I tweeted Sheffield Western Park weather station enquiring about the official depth from Beast 2 and they confirmed it was 17cm but said it was tricky to measure owing to drifting.

The official figure for beast 1 was 15cm. 

So beast 2 wins and I think locally it didfeel like that. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
On 19/03/2018 at 23:42, farmans said:

I tweeted Sheffield Western Park weather station enquiring about the official depth from Beast 2 and they confirmed it was 17cm but said it was tricky to measure owing to drifting.

The official figure for beast 1 was 15cm. 

So beast 2 wins and I think locally it didfeel like that. 

That depends on where you were situated. For my location the first Beast won hands down with 16” that fell in 3 days and then came the gusts of wind that created mayhem to the roads especially higher and more exposed routes streamers around Kent again created major problems south east and most of the North east even in land area got cut off for days that’s not to mention the read warning for around Glasgow & Edinburgh with snow deaths reaching in access of 50cm landing in 24hours.  Then came Storm Emma for much of the SW and Ireland again dropping some massive totals for places like Exeter & Cardiff again some places seeing 50cm+ adding in the high winds caused total grid lock even major motorways ground to a halt stranding some ppl over night. No buddy I’m pretty sure the first Beast won.. lol. However for certain areas Beast two brought more like central and southern east so for you and definitely @reef Beast two won the day for you. But as a comparison as a whole Beast 1 won.

Now let’s see what Beast three brings hopefully a white Easter would be nice since we can never get a white Xmas..:drinks:

Posted

We had a very hard frost last night, one of the hardest of winter I think. Looked out of window when I woke up and thought it had snowed as the frost was so deep on the extension roof and lawn. Lovely bright sunshine and clear blue sky now, looks like it'll be a nice warm day. ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Unless the models do a quick change of heart like they did for the last cold spell the next cold spell looks st.ill born as models zoom in on a low to the south west which keep us in warmer southerlies. Pity as I was hoping for a really very cold march. As it is it's looking we will be a degree or slightly more below which isn't bad considering how short the cold spells were.

Posted

It is hard to imagine any real cold weather arriving now. There is glorious warm sunshine flooding in through the windows and it feels like a warm summers morning. 

Didn't get much sleep last night because house was too warm. It has got to that time of year where a solid fuel central heating system is a bit of a pain, not quite warm enough weather to let the rayburn go out but not cold enough to be comfortable with it running 24/7 as it gets too warm at night.