Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

yes its certainly been a good event hasnt it in the end :D

There is a very slow thaw going on here, despite the cloud. METO suggested another ice day but it seems to be just above...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
5 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

yes its certainly been a good event hasnt it in the end :D

There is a very slow thaw going on here, despite the cloud. METO suggested another ice day but it seems to be just above...

Below freezing here however the ground is warm so melt from below, there is a bit pollution in the snow so lowering the melting point. This morning the bottom layer of snow was mostly slush I didn't have to grit the driveway as soon as moved the top lair it melted straight away.

Yesterday it was minus two and it was still melting even in the shade.  Until it got a big dump overnight that is:)

• Thanks 1

Posted

What a great weekend of weather. Kids have been sledging two days in a row. :D

I've also had a chance to drive the Land Rover on some very deep snowy lanes and play in 3 feet high drifts.

Snow melting quite quickly now as the sun has come out but Beast2 delivered far better for us than Beast1. 

now looking forward to a white Easter :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, OldLandRover said:

What a great weekend of weather. Kids have been sledging two days in a row. :D

I've also had a chance to drive the Land Rover on some very deep snowy lanes and play in 3 feet high drifts.

Snow melting quite quickly now as the sun has come out but Beast2 delivered far better for us than Beast1. 

now looking forward to a white Easter :cold:

I can't imagine us getting this again at Easter, i'm hoping not anyway as although it's been novel to have the snowfall it's caused an awful lot of RTA's in our area because the roads become lethal very quickly and when you take in to account that Easter weekend is a time when a lot of people are travelling about! Also I don't want to keep feeling like it's mid December forever, i'd like the Spring to arrive! I have a meeting at a level crossing down near Boston tomorrow, I have no idea what that drive will be like with the drifting snow etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Pity we didn't have a few days of sharp air frosts before hand. It would have stuck even quicker. Sun trying to come out here.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Too late to measure but it looks about the same as last time here so 3-4 inches.

Like last week we also see the strange scenario where the side of the street getting brightness is thawed to the point of being dry but my half has constant cover.

Posted
39 minutes ago, Jules79 said:

I can't imagine us getting this again at Easter, i'm hoping not anyway as although it's been novel to have the snowfall it's caused an awful lot of RTA's in our area because the roads become lethal very quickly and when you take in to account that Easter weekend is a time when a lot of people are travelling about! Also I don't want to keep feeling like it's mid December forever, i'd like the Spring to arrive! I have a meeting at a level crossing down near Boston tomorrow, I have no idea what that drive will be like with the drifting snow etc

Hi, my comment re white Easter was based on what a few of the models are suggesting for Easter along with met office long range wording change to partly support that view.

The weather will do what the weather will do. My kids and I love cold snowy days as much as we enjoy hot summer days so we make the most of what mother nature provides.

Most RTA's in snow are down to numpties who are driving too fast and/or haven't bothered to buy appropriate vehicles or tyres for the conditions. 

I've managed to drive up and down 1 in 8 hills this morning without incident, driven for miles through 3-4" of snow and over ice and driven through 3 feet deep drifts. All possible because I have a lifted Land Rover on huge snow tyres and 40 years off road driving experience. I would not attempt to do the same journeys in a standard road car. If I didn't want to waste money on winter tyres or a 4x4 for the few days they are really needed each year then I'd make sure I had a stock of food and fuel in so I didn't need to go anywhere. If I was reliant on driving somewhere for my job then at the very least I'd invest in winter tyres. Sadly too many people prefer to spend money on other things and then risk their own lives and others by driving in conditions they are not prepared for. Just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree with me.

Edited by OldLandRover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

No more snow please... as much as I like it, i'm off to an event in Bristol over easter.

My company provided car's owners won't allow winter tyres to be fitted, they won't even change them till the tread is at 2mm. I'm not alone, I suspect alot of company car drivers have the same restrictions. I might get some snow socks though if next winter shows signs of repeat.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, OldLandRover said:

Hi, my comment re white Easter was based on what a few of the models are suggesting for Easter along with met office long range wording change to partly support that view.

The weather will do what the weather will do. My kids and I love cold snowy days as much as we enjoy hot summer days so we make the most of what mother nature provides.

Most RTA's in snow are down to numpties who are driving too fast and/or haven't bothered to buy appropriate vehicles or tyres for the conditions. 

I've managed to drive up and down 1 in 8 hills this morning without incident, driven for miles through 3-4" of snow and over ice and driven through 3 feet deep drifts. All possible because I have a lifted Land Rover on huge snow tyres and 40 years off road driving experience. I would not attempt to do the same journeys in a standard road car. If I didn't want to waste money on winter tyres or a 4x4 for the few days they are really needed each year then I'd make sure I had a stock of food and fuel in so I didn't need to go anywhere. If I was reliant on driving somewhere for my job then at the very least I'd invest in winter tyres. Sadly too many people prefer to spend money on other things and then risk their own lives and others by driving in conditions they are not prepared for. Just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree with me.

I agree that most RTA's are avoidable (the amount idiots on the roads til late last night trying to drive about in dire conditions) but that said I attempted to go out somewhere at tea time yesterday and rapidly changed my mind as the main roads in Scunthorpe were ice rinks. Not everyone can have 4 x 4 stored somewhere for a few days of snow a year. My partner had to work from home for a few days earlier in the month because he works at Lincoln Hospital and the A15 was shut due to drifting snow, he wouldn't feel that comfortable with having to work from home time and again. As for my vehicle, it's a work vehicle owned by my employer and is a Corsa van so only so I have to consider journeys I make in this weather wisely as it's all I have. Easter Friday we have a flight out of the country to Belgium so again it's the hassle that snow causes to airports, I also travel to an office in York twice a week on the trains and they become affected as well.

I do find snow exciting but it's a major hassle as well and I am ready for warm days in the garden.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

No more snow please... as much as I like it, i'm off to an event in Bristol over easter.

My company provided car's owners won't allow winter tyres to be fitted, they won't even change them till the tread is at 2mm. I'm not alone, I suspect alot of company car drivers have the same restrictions. I might get some snow socks though if next winter shows signs of repeat.

Echoed my sentiments - I drive a work vehicle and it's a Corsa car van and yes we get in drilled into us about how low the tread needs to be for tyres to get changed.

Posted

@jules79, seriously I'd look at getting some winter tyres (I'd recommend Bridgestone Blizzaks). Honestly the difference in traction roadholding and braking on ice, snow, slush or even cold wet roads is astonishing even on a 2WD car.

We fit winter tyres to all our vehicles, usually in September and leave them on until March/April depending on weather. As long as you have somewhere to store them just buy a cheap second set of steel wheels and have the winter tyres fitted to them so you can swap them on yourselves. My wife and I can drive our powerful rear drive cars on sheet ice and even 3" snow with no wheelspin (on winter tyres) where even 4x4's on summer/all season tyres struggle for grip.

Over the long term they don't cost any more money because while the winters are fitted you are not wearing out your summers and vice versa so a set of summers and a set of winters typically last us 6 years of driving (15K miles a year).

Our Land Rover is actually a daily driver, not just for winter but due to only doing 6K miles a year of local driving that stays on winter/snow tyres year round and the tyres still last 40K+ miles. :-)

Posted

With regards company car, van and truck drivers - I had same with my employers refusing to pay for winter tyres so I took cash alternative and ran my own vehicle. However if winters were mandatory (in wintry conditions) it would prevent these employers from putting lives at risk to save money. I accept that UK is a moderate climate and not too many snowy winters but we do have cold wet roads and ice alot more frequently than snow and winter tyres are safer in those conditions too.

My wife wants the warm weather ASAP because she has loads of seedlings to get outside and a veg garden to attend to. She is far less of a cold fan than me and the kids :-)

Edited by OldLandRover

Posted

Well looking outside today you could be fooled into thinking it was Spring. The sun has shone all day long and although it's chilly, it's given me hope that Spring will soon arrive. The little bit of snow we had has all but gone. Here's hoping I won't be back for Easter ! 

Have a good Spring/summer guys. See you all next winter 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Just nipped out and its crunchy now under the tires on my road. Icing up now that the sun is going down. It could be very tricky in the morning around Yorkshire, a hard frost tonight and refrozen slush and melted snow is the worst....

Take care if your out and about this evening and in the morning :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
16 minutes ago, OldLandRover said:

With regards company car, van and truck drivers - I had same with my employers refusing to pay for winter tyres so I took cash alternative and ran my own vehicle. However if winters were mandatory (in wintry conditions) it would prevent these employers from putting lives at risk to save money. I accept that UK is a moderate climate and not too many snowy winters but we do have cold wet roads and ice alot more frequently than snow and winter tyres are safer in those conditions too.

My wife wants the warm weather ASAP because she has loads of seedlings to get outside and a veg garden to attend to. She is far less of a cold fan than me and the kids :-)

Mine won't do the cash alternative. If they did i'd get a van or something similar which would hold tools and spares without weighing the back down, taking space making the car useless for personal use (unless I spend 2h emptying everything)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

Just nipped out and its crunchy now under the tires on my road. Icing up now that the sun is going down. It could be very tricky in the morning around Yorkshire, a hard frost tonight and refrozen slush and melted snow is the worst....

Take care if your out and about this evening and in the morning :)

I am delivering around Sheffield tomorrow, hoping that the roads will be clear, as I have a drop in Crookes around 10am and I've seen photos from there this morning and safe to say it looks a bit tricky!

Posted
19 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

Mine won't do the cash alternative. If they did i'd get a van or something similar which would hold tools and spares without weighing the back down, taking space making the car useless for personal use (unless I spend 2h emptying everything)

Yeah, cash alternatives used to be more common back in the 90's and early 2000's. I managed to get a leased 4x4 double cab pickup on my cash alternative, the company car option was a BMW Mini - no brainer really. I still run a jap pickup as the main family car because it is really practical for a large family. My new Navara is averaging 36mpg too so not that bad economy for a two ton 4x4. It hits 50mpg on the motorway. 

Back to the weather:

Really odd, wind picked up again, temp suddenly dropped to zero and it started snowing. The radar doesn't show anything over us at all. I wasn't expecting any more.

Edited by OldLandRover

Posted
21 minutes ago, Tinker Bell said:

Well looking outside today you could be fooled into thinking it was Spring. The sun has shone all day long and although it's chilly, it's given me hope that Spring will soon arrive. The little bit of snow we had has all but gone. Here's hoping I won't be back for Easter ! 

Have a good Spring/summer guys. See you all next winter 

Pretty much all gone here too, despite no sun and a temp of no higher than 1.6C. I can't believe it didn't happen again for us in this area. Hopefully next winter is all northerlies rather than these garbage easterlies!

Posted
10 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

I am delivering around Sheffield tomorrow, hoping that the roads will be clear, as I have a drop in Crookes around 10am and I've seen photos from there this morning and safe to say it looks a bit tricky!

Those pics were me and my daughter out for an early morning explore . Depends where your drop is ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
18 minutes ago, fazzafarrand said:

Bit more snow floating around atm also showing a bit more on the radar 

Them in south east are getting a bit more than they expected, looks as though it's moving north west but it won't affect us, midlands might get some.

As I speak a few tiny flakes coming down here. 

Edited by Bradowl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
20 minutes ago, jam said:

Those pics were me and my daughter out for an early morning explore . Depends where your drop is ?

Will be driving from University area to Crookes, Jack Fulton's shop on main road, then heading down other side to Hillsborough from there.

PS: Its a 26 tonne lorry, hence my concern :p

Edited by vizzy2004