Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

2 minutes ago, The PIT said:

GFS delays the cold some what so we should see light rain turning to snow by about mid morning. Temps at 6am around 3C to 5C so above normal but rapidly fall away to freezing or just below so could cause problems with ice around mid morning.

well that goes against all forecasts for here this eve. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, sausage said:

well that goes against all forecasts for here this eve. 

yup met and bbc both going for heavy snow after midnight here GFS is one of those take with a pinch of salt models 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

My local Meto forecast is suggesting heavy snow on and off through the night from 11pm this evening at the moment.

We shall see....:cold:

Posted
Just now, inghams85 said:

We are far better placed in South Yorkshire for the streamers to set up. Weirdly we should receive a lot more than the last beast!

Indeed it seems the focus is on alot of south yorks this time :) about time we had something decent! :) 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Indeed it seems the focus is on alot of south yorks this time :) about time we had something decent! :) 

Yes. The weather gods have aligned in regards to wind direction from us and the heaviest will hit after dark so zero melt tomorrow night!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
1 minute ago, inghams85 said:

We are far better placed in South Yorkshire for the streamers to set up. Weirdly we should receive a lot more than the last beast!

Yes I was just looking at all the snow symbols on the forecast between now and Sunday and thinking exactly the same thing!  I don't remember seeing so much snow forecast during the last Beast?!

Lets hope it actually materialises eh?!  :D

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
7 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

yup met and bbc both going for heavy snow after midnight here GFS is one of those take with a pinch of salt models 

I wouldn't dismiss the third best model in the world as a pinch of salt model and certainly not within the 12 hr period. It certainly often out performs our local forecast from the met. Yes it's gone back to what it showed two days ago but shouldn't be dismissed so easily.

• Like 1

Posted

One way to get a timing is watching the radar. The front in last hour has just started edging back west. This will give a good idea of actual timing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
2 minutes ago, The PIT said:

I wouldn't dismiss the third best model in the world as a pinch of salt model and certainly not within the 12 hr period. It certainly often out performs our local forecast from the met. Yes it's gone back to what it showed two days ago but shouldn't be dismissed so easily.

CMC has been beating it a lot in the verification stats lately, so its arguable its the 4th best model. Really is a joke how poorly funded it has become and with no sign that will change.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, The PIT said:

It's verification stats are nearer 7th or 8th short term as all the Hi-res models are far more accurate within 24 hours 

• Like 1

Posted

Our flight out of Leeds Bradford tomorrow at 2pm has already been cancelled. Booked on the train now so fingers crossed we have better luck there!

Posted
11 minutes ago, cowdog said:

CMC has been beating it a lot in the verification stats lately, so its arguable its the 4th best model. Really is a joke how poorly funded it has become and with no sign that will change.

Too be honest I'm beginning to wonder how much further models can improve at day five and six. Over the year it's still the third best and the pub run has ceased to be the joke it used to be. At one time they were going to work with ECMWF to improve it whether that's been shelved I don't know. Inghams85 can you get me the link to verification for those as I'm interested regardless of what model it is. The ECM is still generally the best with UKMO snapping at it heals. 

Posted
40 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Surely we should be focusing on the high resolution models at this range.

EURO4 looks very good for much of Yorkshire, probably deeper snow by Sunday morning than the last spell

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, sausage said:

paul hudson now he says we aint seen nothing yet!! and all local n national show our whole region getting a blast of snow

Now watch him turn up with egg on his face come Monday.

Posted
2 minutes ago, sausage said:

paul hudson now he says we aint seen nothing yet!! and all local n national show our whole region getting a blast of snow

Meaning??..usually tune in to Paul but missed tonight's ..?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

That walk from Filey to Scarborough will be interesting for them tomorrow. :cold:

well he annoyingly didnt do the forecast but he made it clear that we'd be clobbered. the actual keeley forecast was crap. a centimetre tonight. i was more reliant on tonight than showers. originally tonight looked ace but seems not now. showers are worrisome because you either get them or you dont. but lets see paul looked happy.

Posted
5 minutes ago, sausage said:

well he annoyingly didnt do the forecast but he made it clear that we'd be clobbered. the actual keeley forecast was crap. a centimetre tonight. i was more reliant on tonight than showers. originally tonight looked ace but seems not now. showers are worrisome because you either get them or you dont. but lets see paul looked happy.

Tonight was always a non starter for accumulating snow. Tomorrow is the main event. 

Posted

Getting quite nervous with excitement.  This is what I love about snow.  Takes me right back to my childhood.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, ChezWeather said:

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Sa 17.03.2018 12 GMT Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Sa 17.03.2018 18 GMT Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Su 18.03.2018 00 GMT Snow accu. EURO4 Su 18.03.2018 12 GMT

Humber streamer on EURO4 

This is what 2010 looked like! 

• Like 3