Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Yep, it's looking like a fun weekend coming up :D

Let's hope winter goes out with a bang :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
10 hours ago, Weather26 said:

Well if that's the case i'm going into my hibernation until Spring actually starts since it was supposed to start 2 weeks ago! 

see you all when it's all over (possibly this weekend when nothing happens and the models downgrade)

:wallbash:

You'd better dig a big hole

Posted

Could be an interesting commute on Friday evening as a rain to snow event is possible, as shown on the attached images. As ever, nothing guaranteed at this range but could there be another m62 closure event as people get caught unawares?!

overview_036.jpg

overview_039.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

For once im hoping this doesnt happen, im travelling to manchester airport sunday evening and dont fancy the travel over the pennines if its bad, i dont know whether i should go saturday or wait to see if anything at all happens

Posted
4 hours ago, BA Baracus said:

Could be an interesting commute on Friday evening as a rain to snow event is possible, as shown on the attached images. As ever, nothing guaranteed at this range but could there be another m62 closure event as people get caught unawares?!

overview_036.jpg

overview_039.jpg

Yes especially with a big temp gradient between north and South of the fronts. Re,pepping up the precipitation.

Then widespread snow showers sat eve overnight into Sunday.Bring it on.

Edited by joggs
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, CasMan said:

For once im hoping this doesnt happen, im travelling to manchester airport sunday evening and dont fancy the travel over the pennines if its bad, i dont know whether i should go saturday or wait to see if anything at all happens

Should be ok by then I think most if not all precipitation will have died off.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Its not just South Yorkshire. This event is so far lining up to be very good for the region - BUT it doesn't really start till 30 hours away, so wont really have a clear idea till tomorrow morning as to where exactly the precip is going.

Note Met Office moved Friday, Saturday and Sunday's warnings to cover the whole region and into Lancashire now, which given the models keep showing this part of the Pennines getting a pasting its not surprising.

Was only yesterday the last bit of very stubborn snow melted as well :)

Edited by cowdog
  • Like 1

Posted

Heavy snow is possible early on Saturday. Cracking end to winter! HIRLAM top image 3am sat and ICON lower image sat midnight. Looks like midnight to 6am is the time of interest.

overview_039.jpg

overview_036.jpg

Edited by BA Baracus
  • Like 1

Posted

I'm flying from LBA on Saturday (via Heathrow to Singapore) and this is making me worried. I know predicting snowfall is tricky even at close range but what are people's views about the likelihood of it being disruptive? Should I be planning on getting the train to Heathrow? 

Posted
2 minutes ago, level said:

I'm flying from LBA on Saturday (via Heathrow to Singapore) and this is making me worried. I know predicting snowfall is tricky even at close range but what are people's views about the likelihood of it being disruptive? Should I be planning on getting the train to Heathrow? 

Heavy snow is increasingly likely early Saturday morning and then potentially snow showers continuing during daylight hours. I'm not sure on the threshold for closing runways (ie depth of snow) but as LBA is on the top of a hill I would imagine it will close at some point, even if that is just to allow for runway clearance.

If it were me I'd try to get to Heathrow on Friday evening. The powdery snow with very cold uppers can lead to issues with electric trains (powdery snow gets into the vents and causes issues inside the locomotive) so wouldn't rely on the train either.

Posted

Hi, supposed to be travelling to Manchester Airport from Mirfield by taxi on Saturday morning at 5.30am. I know there is no way of knowing exactly how much snow and where it will fall but what are people’s thoughts on making this journey. Roughly how much snow is forecast overnight Friday? I presume the worst hit area is going to be the Pennines and the M62!!!

Posted
2 hours ago, sausage said:

lets hope. n last snow freast of winter. x

Sausage sort your spell check out for the up and coming weekend it's getting worse ?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Got a feeling it won't be the last snow this spring. Interestingly we're unlikely to be as cold as March 2013 which shows how exceptional that month was.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Got a feeling it won't be the last snow this spring. Interestingly we're unlikely to be as cold as March 2013 which shows how exceptional that month was.

Talking of a possible reload from the North next weekend? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
5 minutes ago, fazzafarrand said:

Talking of a possible reload from the North next weekend? 

It's a hint but too far out to take seriously at this moment in time.

Posted
12 minutes ago, The PIT said:

It's a hint but too far out to take seriously at this moment in time.

Back to this weekend under yellow from Friday night till Sunday night not bad going for the middle of March 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
4 hours ago, level said:

Get the train / plane on Friday. BA cancels all the local flights first and given the weather they will be the first to go, really wouldn't risk it if you can't afford the delay.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
13 minutes ago, cowdog said:

Get the train / plane on Friday. BA cancels all the local flights first and given the weather they will be the first to go, really wouldn't risk it if you can't afford the delay.

http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/england-wales.php?icao=EGNM

This may help it is the TAF for LBA and shows rain turning to snow later in the day.If you look again tomorrow Saturday should be shown.

Posted

Thanks all. It's going to be tricky to go Friday as I'm working all day and have a 3 year old and huge amounts of luggage (twin sis lives in Malaysia and one suitcase is just her stuff). I'm going to plan to get a train mid morning and hope for the best. Flight from Heathrow at 7. I only live 10 mins from LBA so was looking forwards to an easy journey!