Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Fairly mod light snow here in Bingley but zilch showing on radar.Hills misted  right in.Wierd.

Edited by joggs
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
8 minutes ago, sausage said:

been a fantastic week in the end. finally. brilliant.

If sausage is happy then so am I!  :D

Posted

We had a light dusting this morning after very light snow in the early hours, but it looks like that is it now. Still very cold today with a temp of 0.7C at the moment but this will be it before slowly turning milder.

Never in a million years would I have believed you if you were to say in an easterly blast with -16C 850hPa air that we'd come away with 1cm of lying snow. Perhaps the biggest disappointment I can ever remember in my time following the weather. Even more depressing is that it was still the most snow for over 5 years here.

I'll watch with gritted teeth as everyone hopes for warmth now they've had their snow fix, all the while hoping we'll get a northerly or two before spring sets in properly, they're a rare creature in recent years but should deliver up until mid-April. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Looks like the current cold spell is now coming to an end with maybe a low chance of a bit more snow overnight tonight.

Overall I did better than I expected this week with approx 6 inches of level snow by midday Thursday followed by a 50% reduction by sublimation during Friday but then another inch of snow settled overnight last night from what appeared to be very light snow over about 6 hours.

I suspect winter isn't done with us just yet with a few more weeks of generally below average temps through March, although I think it is now too late in the season for significant long lasting snow.

A few in the Mod thread during the course of this winter have talked about solar cycles linked to general trends to colder winters for the next few years so lets hope there is some truth in this and we can look forward to more events similar to this week in future winters. ?

Given we had an additional centimetre accumulate from last night's decaying weather front I am expecting a similar return from tonight's. I am very wary of our low elevation though and the possibility we see sleet/rain at low levels. Most of Sheffield should be fine tonight though with the sleet and rain becoming more influential through Sunday.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

GFS has double figures for us Monday then back to either side of average for the rest of the week. Sunday should get some light snow possible freezing rain lower down before it all turns to rain and steady if not rapid thaw tomorrow afternoon. The rest of the week looks messy as |Lows wander around so it's still possible a more southerly track may allow colder air back briefly. Interesting how met office and metogroup following slowly with the temp rise over the next few days. 

There maybe another band forming in front of the next push from the south but this could be hope casting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

well this is the end of my winter snow chase! 

This week was fab, loved it but im now ready for some spring warmth. 

See all you guys in November-ish, enjoy spring and summer, its been a blast. 

Take care all! ?

• Like 7

Posted
8 minutes ago, snow*please said:

well this is the end of my winter snow chase! 

This week was fab, loved it but im now ready for some spring warmth. 

See all you guys in November-ish, enjoy spring and summer, its been a blast. 

Take care all! ?

See you soon.  Can't see this been the last snow.  

Posted

I was thinking of signing off to but reading the MOD thread last couple of days it seems there could be at least 1 or 2 more snow opportunities for our region yet albeit probably not as severe but certainly notable!!

Posted

Glad my yorkshire friends did well :)

And even happier to report just over the hill did very well too, 

Might take a trip up to the Oldham - Holmirth or Oldham to Huddersfield routes are tomorrow - there will be epic drifts up there for sure..

(there are still pretty big drifts at 200m )..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Always a red said:

I was thinking of signing off to but reading the MOD thread last couple of days it seems there could be at least 1 or 2 more snow opportunities for our region yet albeit probably not as severe but certainly notable!!

I’m keeping the faith we’ve already had some surprises and November is a looooooong time off still

• Like 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, fazzafarrand said:

And where was this? 

Not sure exactly, in Oldham somewhere apparently- this is Delph/denshaw near the border with West Yorkshire..

Image result for OLDHAM SNOW

you can see on the bottom pic if you look closely it says Denshaw saddleworth :)

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, torrential rain.

Hopefully a some flakes for an hour or so for our region shortly! Think this will be the last of the snow until winter! a fresh CM or 2 would be delightful

Posted
40 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Not sure exactly, in Oldham somewhere apparently- this is Delph/denshaw near the border with West Yorkshire..

you can see on the bottom pic if you look closely it says Denshaw saddleworth :)

But there has been no sun today? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow !!!!

Snowing in mosborough ?❄

Posted

Everything covered again in Shirecliffe, Sheffield. A fresh cm on the car and continues varying from light to moderate snow. Looks like one last batch on the way very soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Another slight covering here in Rotherham, snow brought a bit warmer air up from South and now there's a slow thaw started. 

Looking at radar there's an area of precipitation to south east of us but it looks mostly rain. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

Covered again in Penistone, very very foggy to boot. 

Looks like that little patch just south of Sheffield is turning to snow on the higher ground, so we could get some more shortly.