Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
25 minutes ago, doctordunc said:

Can anyone confirm if the very localised showers showing on the radar are real? Some v close to us around Skipton (but not a direct hit). Some more near Harrogate / Knaresborough. They seemed to just appear, rather than being part of the big bulk of snow to the south west or having moved across the east.

Are the blowing in from Filey/Brid?  Something seems to be forming from there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow !!!!

The sky looks full of snow. No flash on camera needed. Very windy !

20180301_233937.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

No sign of anything for South Yorkshire this evening - it might well be game over for us for this spell now but we'll see what tomorrow brings! - Must be very exciting to be in the South West/Wales tonight, looks like an epic event is occurring down there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Nothing for us this time. Oh well,  let's see what happens tomorrow

Edited by Mark Griffin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well storm Emma never makes it to our region looking at this mornings forecasts. Looks like we could see a few showers on Sunday. But apart from that it seems the boat has sailed for anymore significant snowfall. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Excuse negativity .. but .. I am so sick of this howling wind !
Days of it, constantly.     Hope it gives up soon.

B.

has anyone noticed that the wind seems to be decreasing the snow cover. i dont mean by blowing it around. i mean in general a little un-noticed thaw. whats this to do with? 

temps currently nowhere near as low as last night! only -2. it was -5.6 last night n heavy snow! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

This maybe looks like something to keep an eye on for tonight but the Northwards progress seems painfully slow!

overview_018.thumb.jpg.8f249fd56492d2cc3efc070060479de2.jpg

Looks due to hit our region around midnight into the early hours although quite a bit weaker by then I suspect?

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
14 minutes ago, sausage said:

has anyone noticed that the wind seems to be decreasing the snow cover. i dont mean by blowing it around. i mean in general a little un-noticed thaw. whats this to do with? 

temps currently nowhere near as low as last night! only -2. it was -5.6 last night n heavy snow! 

Yes, the wind is blowing about the snow a lot, so it doesn't appear as deep as it did yesterday.

Edited by cheese

Posted
29 minutes ago, sausage said:

Compression?

Posted

Its the very low Dew points and strong winds drying out the snow so it's compacting and evaporating it at same time. That's why there is no slush

Posted
28 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

This maybe looks like something to keep an eye on for tonight but the Northwards progress seems painfully slow!

overview_018.thumb.jpg.8f249fd56492d2cc3efc070060479de2.jpg

Looks due to hit our region around midnight into the early hours although quite a bit weaker by then I suspect?

Yes but looks to be patchy at best and by tomorrow evening  turning to rain/sleet away from the highest ground

Looks like going out with a whimper this cold spell sadly!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Craigers said:

Its the very low Dew points and strong winds drying out the snow so it's compacting and evaporating it at same time. That's why there is no slush

Sounds like sublimation to me :D

Posted
29 minutes ago, sausage said:

I've noticed that too. We have lost over half of our snow cover eve though it has remained close to freezing 

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Looks like we may have a lul for a day or 2 then all starts again. Long range models really not showing a realistic breakdown aka Jet stream moving from being at the Equator, only real hope is the Azores high to some how magic its way up to near us that would at least provide a respite of sorts.

• Like 1

Posted

Watched BBC weather about 3 times  this morning and as the day wares on some snow coming north from the south later tonight probably fizzling out and then another feature for Saturday night coming across the North Sea but showed as mixture as temps on the up, don't know how correct this will be! 

• Like 2

Posted

We can hope for short term upgrades for tonight and the weekend, as we have all seen this week things can change both ways at very short notice in these setups so its certainly possible!

• Like 3

Posted

To be honest I'm happy for spring to roll in now, until this country learns to cope better with snow it just causes too much chaos, all the footage on the news of people stranded in the roads in just a couple of inch of compacted snow! 

I feel for those with kids when the schools are shut for days on end, the main roads are clear as a bell here in Scunthorpe with no reported road closures on the routes in and out of the town yet many schools are shut again, some are only open kids in certain year groups which must cause consternation for families with kids in different year groups at the same school!

I'm ready for a warm spring day in the garden now, we've had 6 months of winter now! 

• Like 1