Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

And as much as we all wish for more Snow this is what are country comes too and this is because we don't have a lot of snow so can't cope when it does come

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.
4 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

And that's not good for our region ???

Not really, the west coast to Manchester may be good but not much further east.  You can see the westward movement if the storm over southern Ireland 

has anyone noticed that the wind seems to be decreasing the snow cover. i dont mean by blowing it around. i mean in general a little un-noticed thaw. whats this to do with? 

temps currently nowhere near as low as last night! only -2. it was -5.6 last night n heavy snow! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.
Just now, sausage said:

has anyone noticed that the wind seems to be decreasing the snow cover. i dont mean by blowing it around. i mean in general a little un-noticed thaw. whats this to do with? 

temps currently nowhere near as low as last night! only -2. it was -5.6 last night n heavy snow! 

Yeah definately.  Could be friction I guess 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
2 minutes ago, fazzafarrand said:

And as much as we all wish for more Snow this is what are country comes too and this is because we don't have a lot of snow so can't cope when it does come

I Agree. And also it comes down to how some vehicles are ill equipped to deal with snow and ice. 

The tyres on any vehicle are the first point of contact with the road.

It doesn't matter how much your car is worth whether it's a Rolls Royce or a Ford Focus .

Winter tyres are the ultimate concept for any vehicle. 

I invite anyone to watch youtube videos on winter tyres. 

You put 4 winter tyres on a 4 wheels regardless of drive train. Ie .front wheel drive or rear wheel drive. Or 4 wheel drive. 

It makes the difference between life and death. Or having a accident or not 

Getting stuck or not. 

They might cost between £300 and £400. New but you put them on in November and take them off in April. Back to your all season tyres.

But what price do you put on your life or family life.

Posted

Screenshot_20180301-205818.thumb.png.b2f7d9cf05b3da2f9f6de059259335f3.pngScreenshot_20180301-205824.thumb.png.441c3aca9584b8f43529fe67c1d135ae.png

This is up near my partners in Scotland on the A1. There's people stranded since 11.30 on the a1 in Berwick upon Tweed and these are the comdtions. 3 hours on the m62 is nothing yet. 

• Like 1

Posted

Hi :) I'm really surprised there's no warnings for wind up here. Still fierce now and we've had a right dumping over the last few hours. the drifting must be immense..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
13 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

I Agree. And also it comes down to how some vehicles are ill equipped to deal with snow and ice. 

The tyres on any vehicle are the first point of contact with the road.

It doesn't matter how much your car is worth whether it's a Rolls Royce or a Ford Focus .

Winter tyres are the ultimate concept for any vehicle. 

I invite anyone to watch youtube videos on winter tyres. 

You put 4 winter tyres on a 4 wheels regardless of drive train. Ie .front wheel drive or rear wheel drive. Or 4 wheel drive. 

It makes the difference between life and death. Or having a accident or not 

Getting stuck or not. 

They might cost between £300 and £400. New but you put them on in November and take them off in April. Back to your all season tyres.

But what price do you put on your life or family life.

I tried getting the leasing company to fit them on my work car but they wouldn't. They won't even authorise the fronts, 3mm tread depth. Their limit is 2mm.

I miss the van I had in my last job. That ploughed through snow, this Peugeot gets stuck due to tyres and boot being full, weighing the back end down. Naturally all work wanna know is why I couldn't get to Bradford this morning to meet some builders that got over the M62....

Posted
4 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

I tried getting the leasing company to fit them on my work car but they wouldn't. They won't even authorise the fronts, 3mm tread depth. Their limit is 2mm.

I miss the van I had in my last job. That ploughed through snow, this Peugeot gets stuck due to tyres and boot being full, weighing the back end down. Naturally all work wanna know is why I couldn't get to Bradford this morning to meet some builders that got over the M62....

In some European countries it's a legal requirement. 

Stay safe over the next few days. 

Edited by sorepaw1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

just asked chris fawkes on twitter about south yorkshires chances, his reply was that he doesn't think we will see much next couple of days 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!
37 minutes ago, Mark Griffin said:

Seen that here today but I think its sublimation in dry air. have seen it in the States, although there it's quicker and the air is warmer but the same effect: snow disappears and no slush.

Posted
Just now, snow*please said:

just asked chris fawkes on twitter about south yorkshires chances, his reply was that he doesn't think we will see much next couple of days 

Awaiting 18z may have another bout of snow mid week and beyond. 

Jet stream quite far south on the ecm

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, sausage said:

It's not a thaw it's compacting.

Posted

Met Office has snow for us from about midnight, with heavy snow around 2 in the morning, but I can't see where it's coming from. They also now seem to agree with the BBC that we might get sleet and rain from Sunday pm.

Posted

The chart taken from the tonight's 18z for next Thursday seems to be a theme to a north Easterly in a reasonable time frame high pressure blocking to the west mid Atlantic. 

This significantly increasing the chances of a prolonged northerly or north Easterly .

Trend for this has been showing all week. 

18030812_0112.gif

Posted

Can anyone confirm if the very localised showers showing on the radar are real? Some v close to us around Skipton (but not a direct hit). Some more near Harrogate / Knaresborough. They seemed to just appear, rather than being part of the big bulk of snow to the south west or having moved across the east.

Posted
4 minutes ago, doctordunc said:

Met Office has snow for us from about midnight, with heavy snow around 2 in the morning, but I can't see where it's coming from.

See the cloud just off East Anglia and then where it is forecast to travel

Screenshot (61).png

Screenshot (62).png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
12 minutes ago, snow*please said:

Not sure about our chances later tomorrow to be honest.  Local BBC forecast still highlighting the risk of significant snow tomorrow evening but I am not convinced.

Posted

I will eat my woolly hat if storm emma brings anything remotely significant to yorkshire - even the south of the region. It was never on, even when I heard about the countryfile forecast on Sunday. Remember when them charts had us smothered in blizzards - tomorrow! 

Posted
59 minutes ago, Mark Griffin said:

1 hour ago, sausage said:

The other thing that can happen, in dry air, is that the snow is actually evaporating, due to the high winds and dry air. Temperatures don't have to be above freezing , snow can go back to water vapor without entering a liquid state, in the same way that it can go straight to a solid state from water vapor, in hoar frost.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
3 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

I will eat my woolly hat if storm emma brings anything remotely significant to yorkshire - even the south of the region. It was never on, even when I heard about the countryfile forecast on Sunday. Remember when them charts had us smothered in blizzards - tomorrow! 

We should almost certainly get something as the front is due to push North and East into the North Sea around North East England by the looks of it but I think it will be quite weak by the time it reaches here and might just give an hour or two of moderate snow?

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 1

Posted

If this was to pull off for later next week it's quite a cold brisk NNE airflow with heavy snow showers. 

18031018_0118.gif

Edited by sorepaw1