Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Cold

Almost stopped now but a good show in the end not expecting much more today ...really blowing it about now -5c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.
1 hour ago, Pennine Ten Foot Drifts said:

Getting reports M62 is shut over the top, that doesn't happen very often

There was a guy on Radio 5 who had driven from Wigan and was heading to Ossett. Set off at 6am and he was stuck on the M62 with many other cars.

Posted
Just now, CasMan said:

Yep a bit strange unless they know something we don't ?

They should post diagrams with reasons why they issue the warnings. The chief forecaster text is usually just dribble.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
2 minutes ago, Barking_Mad said:

There was a guy on Radio 5 who had driven from Wigan and was heading to Ossett. Set off at 6am and he was stuck on the M62 with many other cars.

From the cameras looks like it's shut eastbound between J22 and J23, and westbound is, as they say, 'passable with extreme care'

Posted
1 minute ago, Pennine Ten Foot Drifts said:

Interesting one that BA, whilst I have my doubts about that much further snow for our region over the next 24 hours, text like this sounds pretty severe for an amber:

"Roads may become blocked by deep snow, with many stranded vehicles and passengers. Some rural communities might be cut off for several days. Long interruptions to power supplies and other services such as telephone and mobile phone networks, could occur."

Yes, it was only updated 10mins ago too and extended overnight into Friday morning. They must be expecting something. Interestingly the HIRLAM does show a string of snow down the pennies for most of the day. Example attached from a random timeframe.

Screenshot_20180301-105229.png

• Like 1

Posted

What is that lot from the direction of the SE up to?

Coming our way or not

Posted

Looks like the front might well reach south yorkshire at least if not further north. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
1 minute ago, BA Baracus said:

Yes, it was only updated 10mins ago too and extended overnight into Friday morning. They must be expecting something. Interestingly the HIRLAM does show a string of snow down the pennies for most of the day. Example attached from a random timeframe.

Screenshot_20180301-105229.png

Indeed, and I think latest observations suggest the main low is further east (and perhaps a bit further north) than expected at this timeframe, which would potentially have implications for us

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

well im more than happy! 

got lots of snow on the ground, kids had 2 snow days up to now and with the looks of it gaz gets the night off too ?

looking at metO there isnt no more snow forecast here, lost all snow symbols, but im not really bothered. 

Enjoy the snow everyone! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days

I’m in a state of... “ I don’t have a clue what is going on “ I expected the warning to be upgraded lastnight early morning. Not now the showers are calming down.. I can only think it’s now for the drifts etc but who knows anymore I give up.. :cc_confused:lol

Edited by Yorkshirepudding
  • Like 2

Posted

I've lost all faith in the weather apps for this sort of Easterly event. The models seem to have some vague idea of what might happen but not to any sort of accuracy

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Strange we have entered into an Amber Warning. I agree with others on here that i think the met office and the like do not really know whats going to happen. Bring it on i say

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

I would suggest the weather apps are all a waste of time just use weather warnings and radar

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy
4 minutes ago, Yorkshirepudding said:

I’m in a state of... “ I don’t have a clue what is going on “ I expected the warning to be upgraded lastnight early morning. Not now the showers are calming down.. I can only thing it’s now for the drifts etc but who knows anymore I give up.. :cc_confused:lol

The revised yellow and amber warnings maybe due to the initial front being further north. It may also be that as this pushes into Lincolnshire, North Nottinghamshire and S Yorkshire it may intensify as it meets the very cold air and strong SE breeze aiding convection. Not sure, but a possibility.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I think the amber warning is for drifting snow. Think that’s it for snow today. But certainly can’t complain. Hopefully a few snow showers off the North Sea over the weekend. 

• Like 1

Posted
58 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

@johnholmesHi john haven't seen you in the thread during our exciting snow times :) 

What does storm emma hold for our region? I can imagine its a nighmare at the moment 

No that is quite true, I post in the observation area each morning and sometimes later, both model threads, so I find that keeps me pretty fully occupied.

I have 8 cm of snow, intially 6 cm then 3 cm more during yesterday, melting even with sub zero temperature for the time the sun was out and another 1-2 cm overnight.

I will try and find time to make a specific post into here sometime this afternoon on my take on storm Emma.

As a quick response based on my view of the models I suspect the snow will not be as bad as predicted for the SW and Wales, on low ground, but may be serious, at least for a time, on higher ground.

Will try and do a full update in depth later today.

Just out of interest, first data reading on my weather station suggests the coldest February since 1997, more frosts than average, the joint second highest and snow about the third snowiest.

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Pennine Ten Foot Drifts said:

Indeed, and I think latest observations suggest the main low is further east (and perhaps a bit further north) than expected at this timeframe, which would potentially have implications for us

APERGE has the same pennine snow too. I'm baffled as to what it is expecting.

Screenshot_20180301-110635.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

I dont want the low to move further north. Further south, the better so we can get the convection further south to this region when winds go easterly again

• Like 1

Posted

Long time forum observer, never know wether to post in North West or Yorkshire being in Todmorden! Blowing a gale here in the hills between Tod and Bacup, had about 22cm so far here, it's still going strong! Plenty of drifting, it's great! 

• Like 1