Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Amazing how long its been going in Sheffield - just when you think it's petering out, it lingers on a bit longer

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, sausage said:

anyone got sunshine??

Dont tell me you wanting good weather now Sausage ? We have arranged all this snow just for you :sorry:

Posted

I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest the front will reach at least the South of the region this afternoon. This is based purely on the radar movement currently displayed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, sausage said:

anyone got sunshine??

Frozen Sausage need thawing out?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Hey all :)

Well looks like a lot more snow came overnight and this morning,  didn't seem to be in the forecast but radar shows widespread snow over the whole region!

Hope everyone is safe and enjoying today's upgrade!! :cold:

Lets see if I get home tomorrow or not lol......

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
33 minutes ago, cowdog said:

March 2013 was odd, in that over Skipton way it was bad, but just on the border and around Colne & Clitheroe it was a LOT worse. I know a few farmers near here lost their whole flocks as they got buried. 1 small village and a few hamlets that are less than 2 miles away as the crow files were completely cut off for over a week - the main A6068 (the road the M65 turns into) was shut for 2 days. All that wasn't so much the depth though it was the speed it came down just completely stopped everything.

I was cut of for two days while the Farmers not the council dug us out with an digger. Over the tops were a lot worse than they are currently as the winds was high for 36 hours along with persistent snow and I include cowling in that but in the valleys there was nowhere near what we have now. But in the fields of the tops there was no snow at all because it had all blown into the roads and against walls infact we had to walk on wall to get home and cars that was abandoned you could see nothing but a sunroof and others you couldn’t see at all.  So from that respect March 2013 was worse but on a whole this spell beats that in respect it’s affected a lot more people. 

Just my opinion of course and I’m only going on the area I was at the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
2 minutes ago, Yorkshirepudding said:

I was cut of for two days while the Farmers not the council dug us out with an digger. Over the tops were a lot worse than they are currently as the winds was high for 36 hours along with persistent snow and I include cowling in that but in the valleys there was nowhere near what we have now. But in the fields of the tops there was no snow at all because it had all blown into the roads and against walls infact we had to walk on wall to get home and cars that was abandoned you could see nothing but a sunroof and others you couldn’t see at all.  So from that respect March 2013 was worse but on a whole this spell beats that in respect it’s affected a lot more people. 

Just my opinion of course and I’m only going on the area I was at the time.

yeah March 2013 was very memorable where I was living then, biggest drifts I've experienced since the 80s, but was very localised to the western Pennines I think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Wow wind really got up here now. Blowing snow everywhere. Total whiteout conditions. Radar looking weak now. But certainly more than happy with what we have. Hopefully we may see a few more showers from the east over the weekend. 

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

Amber warning just come out extended further into north Yorkshire from now until tomorrow

Posted
Just now, CasMan said:

Amber warning just come out extended further into north Yorkshire from now until tomorrow

Into west Yorkshire too... not sure why?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, BA Baracus said:

I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest the front will reach at least the South of the region this afternoon. This is based purely on the radar movement currently displayed.

I thought the same until the last 10 minutes, but looking at the radar the front now seem to be pivoting and the snow decaying, so doubt it will reach Yorkshire.  I think it will need another push from the next front tomorrow to get as far as us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
26 minutes ago, Yorkshirepudding said:

I’ve been asking the question in the Model thread etc if anyone has a clue how far north Storm Emma will get no one has replied as I really think no one actually has a clue.. the lull in the showers is due to the low that is pushing up and then dragging further Showers down again tomorrow. But I honestly have no idea what exactly is going to happen this storm is very complicated to predict. 

Already they’ve said it’s much further west than they first thought pushing up before rolling west towards Ireland then the second wave moves in tomorrow which is what some models had that moving more NE towards our region again no one is prepared to make a full forcast for tomorrow. In March 2013 it was a long that pushed un in a similar fashion and stalled over our region blowing back in on an Easterly wind that made it look like it was coming from the North Sea which gave us massive snow drifts although the snow wasn’t particularly heavy in the form of the size of the flakes as it had lots intensity moving up through the uk.. Theres still potential for it to do a similar thing but again it’s so hard to nail down I literally don’t have a clue what is in store for us over the weekend. It could either be that the storm reaches us and give us 24-36 hours of continuous slightly lighter snow creating snow drifts especially over higher ground. Or the Storm keeps south and we drag in more showers from the east Friday and Saturday wether or not these will be heavy in nature only time will tell. Although it does look like it will get slightly warmer it could create a battle ground for our region as lows try push up from the S/SW bump into our stubborn cold air and readily turn to heavy snow. Whatever happens I still think we are in for an interesting Weekend into next week..:drinks:

I meant further East... I’m sure you all knew what I meant ???

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
4 minutes ago, BA Baracus said:

Into west Yorkshire too... not sure why?

As its really really bad on the high bits.

Just heard reliable 2nd hand information (person who works with the Gritters) that West Yorkshire and possibly North Yorkshire will be out of Grit by tonight. So its going to get a whole lot worse - so if you need anything and you have access to a gritted road get it now as the roads could become impassible.

Edited by cowdog

Posted
Just now, cowdog said:

As its really really bad on the high bits.

Just heard reliable 2nd hand information that West Yorkshire and North Yorkshire will be out of Grit by tonight. So its going to get a whole lot worse - so if you need anything and you have access to a gritted road get it now as the roads could become impassible.

Added the text below. Says they are expecting a further 5-10 cm with up to 25cm more. Can't see where from unless they are expecting showers or the front to invigorate over the hills.

Screenshot_20180301-103837.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.
13 minutes ago, Aiden2012 said:

The wind is absolutey crazy here 

Check out that weather station wind chill vs. temperature. lol

image.thumb.png.f763244cffbc9ddb08f50568927d6cec.png

Posted
7 minutes ago, CasMan said:

Amber warning covers me just in Leeds, bit late now considering we are done with the snow!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow
2 minutes ago, Barking_Mad said:

Check out that weather station wind chill vs. temperature. lol

image.thumb.png.f763244cffbc9ddb08f50568927d6cec.png

It' mental I'm like 2 mins from the seafront defenatly gusting over 60mph and a street round the corner is closed roof tiles flying off ??

Posted

Snow stopped now but wind has really got going, my phone has just flashed up a Amber warning, could this be the area to the South East pushing up? 

Posted
1 minute ago, LeeSnowFan said:

all warnings removed for my area, so does this mean game over ? 

There's still yellow warnings to Saturday for whole region?

Posted
5 minutes ago, richardc1983 said:

Amber warning covers me just in Leeds, bit late now considering we are done with the snow!

Yep a bit strange unless they know something we don't ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
6 minutes ago, BA Baracus said:

Added the text below. Says they are expecting a further 5-10 cm with up to 25cm more. Can't see where from unless they are expecting showers or the front to invigorate over the hills.

Screenshot_20180301-103837.png

Interesting one that BA, whilst I have my doubts about that much further snow for our region over the next 24 hours, text like this sounds pretty severe for an amber:

"Roads may become blocked by deep snow, with many stranded vehicles and passengers. Some rural communities might be cut off for several days. Long interruptions to power supplies and other services such as telephone and mobile phone networks, could occur."