A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Cameras make for interesting viewing at the moment, glad I'm not on there

https://www.motorwaycameras.co.uk/england/m62/eastbound/traffic-camera/267

Posted
5 minutes ago, Pennine Ten Foot Drifts said:

Getting reports M62 is shut over the top, that doesn't happen very often

Yes apparently a snow plough has got stuck!

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
6 minutes ago, Pennine Ten Foot Drifts said:

Getting reports M62 is shut over the top, that doesn't happen very often

Can you confirm this please as my father in law is flying from Manchester airport later today and they are travelling over this afternoon

Posted
9 minutes ago, Always a red said:

Into Yorkshire tonight or is it the snow that has been mentioned tomorrow night into weekend?

Thanks

It shows some of it reaching by 3pm!!! The charts are all over place so i don't discount anything right now tbh!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, CasMan said:

Can you confirm this please as my father in law is flying from Manchester airport later today and they are travelling over this afternoon

http://glossop.online/traffic/

This shows over Pennines all routes inc M62  updates frequently 

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, CasMan said:

If you check the link to the cameras I just posted you can see that at the moment it's at a standstill. They may well get it running again over the next few hours, but the weather needs to improve a bit before it's running normally again I'd have thought, and looking at the radar that isn't going to happen for a few hours yet over the top (J22). What time is the flight ?

Posted
3 minutes ago, CasMan said:

Tell them to get the train... would be madness to try m62 in these conditions!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
6 minutes ago, doctordunc said:

I'm sure we've more than 2013 or 2010 here (we're very close to you, Cowdog, but in the valley (not actually in Skipton) - I think there was a lot more on the tops in 2013 than down here.

March 2013 was odd, in that over Skipton way it was bad, but just on the border and around Colne & Clitheroe it was a LOT worse. I know a few farmers near here lost their whole flocks as they got buried. 1 small village and a few hamlets that are less than 2 miles away as the crow files were completely cut off for over a week - the main A6068 (the road the M65 turns into) was shut for 2 days. All that wasn't so much the depth though it was the speed it came down just completely stopped everything.

Posted
1 minute ago, Pennine Ten Foot Drifts said:

If you check the link to the cameras I just posted you can see that at the moment it's at a standstill. They may well get it running again over the next few hours, but the weather needs to improve a bit before it's running normally again I'd have thought, and looking at the radar that isn't going to happen for a few hours yet over the top (J22). What time is the flight ?

Not sure sometime tonight, but they were travelling over around dinnertime

Posted
1 minute ago, CasMan said:

Not sure sometime tonight, but they were travelling over around dinnertime

Might have improved a bit by then, but current situation:

"M62 is virtually impassable and being closed periodically to be ploughed. Severe disruption & two/three hour delays both ways"

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy
5 minutes ago, inghams85 said:

It shows some of it reaching by 3pm!!! The charts are all over place so i don't discount anything right now tbh!

That first band is already into parts of S Lincolnshire and seems to be pushing north so it could reach S of the Humber by 3pm? What do you think?

Posted

in the short term it’s a forecasters nightmare placing the percip. Take tomorrow afternoon for example ; Euro 4, which is usually v accurate is very different to many of the other high res models 

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 09.47.50.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 09.47.56.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 09.48.01.png

Expect lots of chopping and changes and warnings etc! tomorrow could still play well for us! 

Edited by LeeSnowFan

Posted
3 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

in the short term it’s a forecasters nightmare placing the percip. Take tomorrow afternoon for example ; Euro 4, which is usually v accurate is very different to many of the other high res models 

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 09.47.50.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 09.47.56.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 09.48.01.png

Expect lots of chopping and changes and warnings etc! tomorrow could still play well for us! 

Is the front expected to pivot northwards into our region or get stuck across Midlands and move westward with "Emma"?

Posted
Just now, BA Baracus said:

Is the front expected to pivot northwards into our region or get stuck across Midlands and move westward with "Emma"?

don't think anyone knows whats happening , not even forecasters  its always changing :( even models are confused 

Posted
1 minute ago, BA Baracus said:

....get stuck across Midlands and move westward with "Emma"?

I think that's the current expectation, but then we were only supposed to get showers over the last 10 hours.........

Edited by Pennine Ten Foot Drifts
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Pennine Ten Foot Drifts said:

I think that's the current expectation, but then we were only supposed to get showers over the last 10 hours.........

Yes, what's interesting is that Chris Fawkes on twitter suggests it arrived much earlier and much further east than expected. He then expects it to move North and West. Trouble is no one knows how far North!

• Like 1

Posted

Honestly. Not even the Met actually know what's happening rest of today and tomorrow. It's a low meandering on a zero jet stream. It's a nowcast radar watching everything is on the table!

Edited by inghams85

Posted
17 minutes ago, inghams85 said:

Blimey! All bets do seem to be off at the moment with forecasts

Crazy but exciting times ahead

Posted

This on bbc news app.

"The Met Office said there were signs the cold easterly flow could last into next week and possibly into the following week"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
1 hour ago, wozafax said:

So what's everyone's gut feeling? Is this morning the last heavy snow we'll get? Or do we think more is on the cards? MetO has the odd light shower through until Sunday before temperature recover. It doesn't look like the low pushing up with effect us so at the moment it's hard to see when/ if there is another dumping in the offering.

I'm not been greedy. I'm more than happy with what we have and it won't melt before Sunday/ Monday so if this is it I'll take it. I'm just interested to see what everyone else's gut feeling is, because there is no point looking in at the models.

I’ve been asking the question in the Model thread etc if anyone has a clue how far north Storm Emma will get no one has replied as I really think no one actually has a clue.. the lull in the showers is due to the low that is pushing up and then dragging further Showers down again tomorrow. But I honestly have no idea what exactly is going to happen this storm is very complicated to predict. 

Already they’ve said it’s much further west than they first thought pushing up before rolling west towards Ireland then the second wave moves in tomorrow which is what some models had that moving more NE towards our region again no one is prepared to make a full forcast for tomorrow. In March 2013 it was a long that pushed un in a similar fashion and stalled over our region blowing back in on an Easterly wind that made it look like it was coming from the North Sea which gave us massive snow drifts although the snow wasn’t particularly heavy in the form of the size of the flakes as it had lots intensity moving up through the uk.. Theres still potential for it to do a similar thing but again it’s so hard to nail down I literally don’t have a clue what is in store for us over the weekend. It could either be that the storm reaches us and give us 24-36 hours of continuous slightly lighter snow creating snow drifts especially over higher ground. Or the Storm keeps south and we drag in more showers from the east Friday and Saturday wether or not these will be heavy in nature only time will tell. Although it does look like it will get slightly warmer it could create a battle ground for our region as lows try push up from the S/SW bump into our stubborn cold air and readily turn to heavy snow. Whatever happens I still think we are in for an interesting Weekend into next week..:drinks:

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

3 hours ago 

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 09.58.55.png

That shows 10cm accumulated at midnight tonight. There has to be some pushing North today on that. Could be a surprise or two warnings wise if the Met have this wrong 

Posted

Thanks YP that's a great update.

It's stopped snowing at Linton as per the radar though the skies are still leaden. Doesn't seem much more to come though the MetOffice site has us as heavy snow from 1100. Not sure where that's going to come from...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Very interesting at the moment, and difficult to call but it could be that the snow from the front to the South may just meet up with the showers coming in from the East and we end up with only a short break in snow falling.