Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Also having looked at the protected area of the garden (no melt yesterday) i can confirm that this may have beaten Jan 13 (16cm before the final event which i missed). 

I am going to ring Mother and have her stick a ruler in a few places for me. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
24 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Jan 13 was worse in my opinion although i have not yet left the house to say that. 

#Generation Snowflake

Get your umbrella and some wellies/walking boots. Not a problem. 

I think the overall depth in Jan 2013 was higher, but the drifting is much worse this time around, similar to March 2013. And the windchill is worse too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
4 minutes ago, wozafax said:

So what's everyone's gut feeling? Is this morning the last heavy snow we'll get? Or do we think more is on the cards? MetO has the odd light shower through until Sunday before temperature recover. It doesn't look like the low pushing up with effect us so at the moment it's hard to see when/ if there is another dumping in the offering.

I'm not been greedy. I'm more than happy with what we have and it won't melt before Sunday/ Monday so if this is it I'll take it. I'm just interested to see what everyone else's gut feeling is, because there is no point looking in at the models.

I think personally that this will be the last big dumping. Don’t think storm Emma will affect our region. But that’s no bad thing as it will keep us in the colder air for longer. Still think we might get some showers moving in from the east. But as for more heavy snow I’m not so sure.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, cheese said:

I think the overall depth in Jan 2013 was higher, but the drifting is much worse this time around, similar to March 2013. And the windchill is worse too.

Yes, there's something strange about snow at -5C too. Something not seen since 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
35 minutes ago, inghams85 said:

This will end for South Yorkshire by 9am and North by 10 and then that's it for the day there's no need for one 

I would say more like 11am or noon looking at the radar and the Meto automated forecast?

Still coming down pretty heavily with gusty winds here!

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 1

Posted

Attempting the 1.4 mile walk to work now, i am informed the buses have pretty much stopped. 

More concerned about the wind really. 

Posted

How far North will the band of snow get today? At 7am the northern edge was Kettering. At 9am it's now Leicester. Slow progress, but could hit the region this afternoon if it doesn't fizzle out.

Posted
35 minutes ago, Imp81 said:

Ah can remember back in 2010 I lived in Winterton, epic times the A1077 was blocked a few times so me and my mates all walked to town via Normanby brrr :)

I'm guessing predictatext turned shut to something else in my post! 

My work network is down again today due to the volume of people logging on from home, it's all tremendous fun!

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

I would say more like 11am or noon looking at the radar and the Meto automated forecast?

Still coming down pretty heavily with gusty winds here!

I would say that time for all snow but I'd say the heavier bursts are now petering out and what's left will be negligible 

Edited by inghams85

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Wind is really picking up now.  Almost blizzard like conditions in the heavier bursts of snow at the moment.  :cold:

Icicles are hanging from above the windows on the houses as well.  It's like Narnia out there!  Lovely stuff!  :D

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 2

Posted

Looks like we're getting to the end of this snow (although quite a bit coming down at the moment). Is anything coming along behind it, or do we think it'll be a quieter afternoon? The radar doesn't seem to show much in the sea (other than further north).

Posted

Still snowing moderately here and when the wind gusts it's almost whiteout conditions. This powder snow is amazing. Beats chasing an inch of wet snow in -5 NW'ly uppers that's for sure :D.

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, BA Baracus said:

How far North will the band of snow get today? At 7am the northern edge was Kettering. At 9am it's now Leicester. Slow progress, but could hit the region this afternoon if it doesn't fizzle out.

Interesting - just looking at that. Doesn't seem to be mentioned in any forecasts for the region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.
3 minutes ago, doctordunc said:

Looks like we're getting to the end of this snow (although quite a bit coming down at the moment). Is anything coming along behind it, or do we think it'll be a quieter afternoon? The radar doesn't seem to show much in the sea (other than further north).

Unsure if this lot will reach us as it moves up? time will tell.

Capture.PNG

Posted
2 minutes ago, inghams85 said:

The Hirlam once again gets heavy precipitation into Yorkshire from the low?? Keeping an eye on this today!

Into Yorkshire tonight or is it the snow that has been mentioned tomorrow night into weekend?

Thanks

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
35 minutes ago, cheese said:

March 2013 was the highest snow I have experienced round here, but the cold is akin to dec 2010 - thanks to the windchill.

If this snow carries on it will beat 2013 though, it really is silly especially given there is no real breakdown in sight - apart from the GFS being the GFS.

Posted

I'm sure we've more than 2013 or 2010 here (we're very close to you, Cowdog, but in the valley (not actually in Skipton) - I think there was a lot more on the tops in 2013 than down here.