Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
18 minutes ago, bazookabob said:

Is this a streamer setting up from the Humber to Leeds, straight through me? I hope so! Screenshot_20180228-203712.thumb.png.6678470f636827a6e3f7b5e5c2ecf963.png

The winds are ENE in nature you will need showers coming from above hull to hit leeds which you will be happy to know are plentiful?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Well I've only seen snow like that on lake effect youtube videos from the states. We are close to 20cm and that's all fallen in the past 28 hours since 5pm yesterday. I am baffled as to why this is only a yellow warning but who cares! 

1 minute ago, bazookabob said:

Well I've only seen snow like that on lake effect youtube videos from the states. We are close to 20cm and that's all fallen in the past 28 hours since 5pm yesterday. I am baffled as to why this is only a yellow warning but who cares! 

I think amber warnings only come in force when sudden accumulations are expected, rather than a more gradual build-up of snow. Just a thought.

Also been watching the radar and can't fathom why the Sheffield streamer keeps fizzling everything out before Sheffield yet the ones just north (and south) keep going? Goes beyond my knowledge to figure that curiosity out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, Reverse Zonality said:

Also been watching the radar and can't fathom why the Sheffield streamer keeps fizzling everything out before Sheffield yet the ones just north (and south) keep going? Goes beyond my knowledge to figure that curiosity out!

Worry after nothing happens tonight buddy,there is showers heading our way:)

2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Worry after nothing happens tonight buddy,there is showers heading our way:)

I'd only be worried if we didn't have snow cover! Thankfully more than enough to keep me happy tonight. I just find it quite fascinating, especially after our more successful streamer earlier today :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, bazookabob said:

We've done quite well really - much better than I was ever expecting. And these showers are incredibly intense - as I mentioned, as close to blizzard conditions as we're likely to experience here, and that's exacerbated by the dry snow blowing off roofs and off the ground and into the air. It's not something you experience very often in low-level, urban UK. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Reverse Zonality said:

I'd only be worried if we didn't have snow cover! Thankfully more than enough to keep me happy tonight. I just find it quite fascinating, especially after our more successful streamer earlier today :)

That's the spirit and shouldn't go anywhere fast,whilst the north sea is still producing these showers,we should have a top up:)

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Still plenty of showers coming inland and although it's been snowing steadily here it's not accumulated much. Wife just went for a cig, says it's proper cold. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Reverse Zonality said:

I think there's pockets of dryer air around with much lower DP' s similar to when frontal systems move in across cold dense air. I think the moisture is slowly breaking this down because the showers are now breaking into wider lines so it's a matter of time before a heavy shower does hit

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

A lot of these showers seem to be losing the intensity now. But can’t complain regarding today it’s been fantastic. Just a shame I never got a snow day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

starting to snow here again.

All kids happy as all their schools are closed tomorrow! 

Absolutely bitter out there, never wanted the dog to pee as fast in my life ?

and the mr is on his way home (slowly) from work as its too dangerous for him to keep going...apologies to anyone in here that has their milk delivered and dont get it tonight ?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days

For all you guys out there that have said over the last few days Easterlies are crap they never deliver etc. The fact of the matter is Easterlies are the best possible set up for our whole region. I know it’s more hit and miss with the showers etc but for the fact of continuous cold which builds up snow day after day you would be the unluckiest person our region not to get decent snow fall.. And this it’s only about 36hours in.. Just think if we was to have just 2weeks of this it would be on par with 63 & 47 which also unless my history is completely wrong came from the east.. 

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, terrier said:

A lot of these showers seem to be losing the intensity now. But can’t complain regarding today it’s been fantastic. Just a shame I never got a snow day. 

Yes, they seem to be decaying as they reach further inland. Still lots of snow around but maybe not as many mini blizzards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
25 minutes ago, Reverse Zonality said:

They're reaching Rotherham ok but mostly light snow.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Yorkshirepudding said:

For all you guys out there that have said over the last few days Easterlies are crap they never deliver etc. The fact of the matter is Easterlies are the best possible set up for our whole region. I know it’s more hit and miss with the showers etc but for the fact of continuous cold which builds up snow day after day you would be the unluckiest person our region not to get decent snow fall.. And this it’s only about 36hours in.. Just think if we was to have just 2weeks of this it would be on par with 63 & 47 which also unless my history is completely wrong came from the east.. 

We might yet,if THAT ECM came offfffff!:rofl:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Bah.. South Barnsley has ducked and dived and missed most of it all say.   The flow seems to only be light in nature now.  Anything else coming? 

Posted

Drove home from Scarborough at 8pm. Roads passable but a lot of drifting and white out even on A165. Penetrating cold, car external temp showed -7c in places and -6 at home, not sure how accurate they are. Traveling back from Manchester on the train snow starts as soon as you leave Standedge tunnel.

Posted

What a day! Those showers all just seemed to come from nowhere and the intensity was amazing. You cannot beat a freezing cold convective easterly. It's been a long time coming.

Just now, Mark Griffin said:

Bah.. South Barnsley has ducked and dived and missed most of it all say.   The flow seems to only be light in nature now.  Anything else coming? 

Still a good feed from the N Sea but the Pennines seems to be killing them off at the moment, unless there is another force at work.

Some lighter ones making it here at the moment. I'm looking more at my work postcode of S35 right now and they've had a couple of light/mod small showers just now.

Anyone's guess later in the night in terms of inland distribution/intensity? What will be will be!