Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
1 hour ago, Reverse Zonality said:

Some snow here but given Sheffield’s topography it’s not great on some of the usual roads.

A lot out to the east but conditions not right for them to maintain intensity as they head inland.

Nothing moving here on my street but I’m guessing the main roads are ok. It’s very pretty we get occasional snow showers :) Always the same our street and surrounding streets remain snowed in because so cats can’t  shift. Working from home rather than risking trekking through it (injured leg). 

7ADDEF9A-CB0B-4116-B57F-0E8AA79670B5.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I love the seasonal periods of the year, ( in their extremes - of course ).

What a Fab morning so far. Temperature around -4'c with light/moderate snow & a good 3" layer on the ground.

Radar looks good for here till midday at least ? 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Between 1 & 2 inch around Matlock and Chesterfield, huge amount of Precip out to the east!

Seems to be heading our way 

Posted

Looking at the shower trajectory over the last hour or so the showers are moving towards West-north-west. What does that mean?

If a shower is over Grimsby it should hit Halifax. If a shower is over ingoldmells it should hit Sheffield. One over spurn point should hit Leeds etc.

Wind direction is subject to change but this looks like the current situation.

We got about an inch of snow today. Better than nothing but v jealous of North East England!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
27 minutes ago, boyzie said:

Anyone read 'The Snow'by Adam Roberts? 

And this is how the world will end...

"The snow started falling on the sixth of September, soft noiseless flakes filling the sky like a swarm of white moths, or like static interference on your TV screen -- whichever metaphor, nature of technology, you find the more evocative. Snow everywhere, all through the air, with that distinctive sense of hurrying that a vigorous snowfall brings with it. Everything in a rush, busy-busy snowflakes. And, simultaneously, paradoxically, everything is hushed, calm, as quiet as cancer, as white as death.

And at the beginning people were happy."

But the snow doesn't stop. It falls and falls and falls. Until it lies three miles thick across the whole of the earth. Six billion people have died. Perhaps 150,000 survive.

But those 150,000 need help, they need support, they need organising, governing. And so the lies begin. Lies about how the snow started. Lies about who is to blame. Lies about who is left. Lies about what really lies beneath. Less

So the same as the Netweather forums in reverse really?!  :D

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, LeeSnowFan said:

Seems the sun want's to come out!!! like NO!! get back and keep snowing :) happy with what we got so far! bring on the rest of the day 

It’s only coming for a look, lol. Soooo cold

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

We had another 3-5cm overnight, but its the showers this morning that are just stopping that have brought an absolute ton.

Its dropped almost another 10cm in the past 2 hours, paths that I cleared this morning now have snow above the tops of my feet in my whellies. Its gone from being nice to being really deep very quickly. Could well imagine somewhere to our North East has over a foot of the stuff by now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Bit of a lull for half hour in hudds but them showers are converging to the south east of Yorkshire and look like bringing a good period of snow again ??

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

snowing heavy again in wakefield, and looking at the radar loads more on the way the snow showing around grimsby area looks a direct hit for west yorkshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, cowdog said:

We had another 3-5cm overnight, but its the showers this morning that are just stopping that have brought an absolute ton.

Its dropped almost another 10cm in the past 2 hours, paths that I cleared this morning now have snow above the tops of my feet in my whellies. Its gone from being nice to being really deep very quickly. Could well imagine somewhere to our North East has over a foot of the stuff by now.

Yeah them further north look like they are keeping their intensity well inland, good dump fore some.

Posted
26 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

An earthquake with a 3.2 magnitude has struck Cumbria, the British Geological Survey has said.

Could this have an effect on direction the snow moves in ?? 

Earthquakes are in the ground mate, snow comes from the sky. :D

Well that was an interesting drive to work - Horsforth to Wakefield. Took me an hour and 10 minutes to get just past Meanwood then got a call to say school shut! Very tricky getting back but great fun.

Posted

Due to the severe depths of snow involved, measuring this morning's snow could only be done with a tape measure:

snowdepth.thumb.png.c3ae19dc2a9c0c15c228e21ecaf995ad.png

I think we might need the army to come in. We'll be cut off for days with this.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
16 minutes ago, BA Baracus said:

Looking at the shower trajectory over the last hour or so the showers are moving towards West-north-west. What does that mean?

If a shower is over Grimsby it should hit Halifax. If a shower is over ingoldmells it should hit Sheffield. One over spurn point should hit Leeds etc.

Wind direction is subject to change but this looks like the current situation.

We got about an inch of snow today. Better than nothing but v jealous of North East England!

Halifax is more Brigg/Scunthorpe.

The radar looks as though there may be some sort of streamer setting up!

Epic morning so far, virtually non stop and with pulses of near whiteout conditions. Traffic very dodgy, all starting around 8am as the MetOffice suggested.

Edited by ukpaul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
7 minutes ago, doctordunc said:

Idea of depth here this morning.

1BA46AE5-2409-43AF-A21A-1EBF8AD2810C.jpeg

Nice little icicle forming on the corner of that bin.. lol

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, reef said:

Due to the severe depths of snow involved, measuring this morning's snow could only be done with a tape measure:

snowdepth.thumb.png.c3ae19dc2a9c0c15c228e21ecaf995ad.png

I think we might need the army to come in. We'll be cut off for days with this.

I can't believe the weather is missing you at Hedon! It's bonkers weather here in Scunthorpe and my mum has it at Beverley too - isn't it mad how localised it can be!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jules79 said:

I can't believe the weather is missing you at Hedon! It's bonkers weather here in Scunthorpe and my mum has it at Beverley too - isn't it mad how localised it can be!

Yes, its ridiculous, but the radar explains everything. This shows 12 hour precipitation:

radar.thumb.png.da4833b22ad0f6b4c7418a3eeeb7b71b.png

Our very own hole!