Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Just used the last snow shower as an excuse too walk to the post box. Didn't take much change in elevation to increase the depth to about an inch. Walking back I noticed the snow on the pavement was beginning to thaw again despite temps at -2.7C. Wouldn't like to know whats in that snow. Need the winds to swing a little more north easterly otherwise we'll end up in the dry slot which I can see to the south east of us.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
Just now, LeeSnowFan said:

Look north showed showers piling in overnight, also said one to watch Thursday into Friday some significant snow for our region 

Thurs/Friday? What feature was that? Please tell lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms
1 minute ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Look north showed showers piling in overnight, also said one to watch Thursday into Friday some significant snow for our region 

i keep seeing this too for friday, some graphics have it piling straight through us ?

Posted

Did anyone see the showers generating all the way from the stretch of water between Denmark and Norway (sorry don't know what it is called) on look north?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
30 minutes ago, Sunny_AS said:

Looks like the radar is really pepping up...is there a trough due over us now or very soon?

You are well in the firing line for tonight and tomorrow.. Again not gospel as I could get the showers and you could miss them or vice versa but I think we are in a good location for these heavy Anow showers given the intense cold they’ll have no problem adding up... ?

Edit: Anow shower ??. considering is hammering it down I’ll keep that new word... :rofl: 

Edited by Yorkshirepudding
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, LeeSnowFan said:

All i heard was significant snow lol and switched off 

Surely he wasn't referring to the front coming in from the south as Thurs into Friday would be too early. 

Posted

Shower activity seriously pepping up in the North Sea. East Ridings and North Yorkshire bearing the brunt (we’re getting lots of showers pushing through into Thornton Dale), but also pushing into South and West Yorkshire. This could be a great 24 hours!

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Yorkshirepudding said:

You are well in the firing line for tonight and tomorrow.. Again not gospel as I could get the showers and you could miss them or vice versa but I think we are in a good location for these heavy Anow showers given the intense cold they’ll have no problem adding up... ?

I worked in addingham today, I cant believe the difference between there and ilkey/otley.

This morning left for work, 2cm here, about 3.5cm ilkley yet 7cm in addingham! only like 6 miles from me and 3 from ilkley

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Yorkshirepudding said:

I think you’ll do well up there in Addingham Moorside, YP....

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

All i heard was significant snow lol and switched off 

Ahh that must mean 3mm of snow then :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, torrential rain.

Funnily enough, I don't think it's felt that cold today!

Posted
Just now, richardc1983 said:

Such a shame as no snow showers here today every single one seems to miss us. Brutally cold though.

Nah go back to late seventies Max temp -6C and a strong north easterly breeze the next day was milder -5C. Going to have too see if I can find the old photos basically one side of the house was frozen we had secondary double glazing and the snow was blowing through the gaps in the first window and you had a grains of snow between the glass. The pipes outside also briefly froze. 

The spring of 68 my father had to carry me over the snow drifts as they were too deep for me. Schools stayed open those days. None of this namby pamby stuff of 1 mm of snow and the schools closed. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Harsh Climate said:

I think places like leeds and bradford (city centres) could get in on game soon, the showers are aligning more favourably for these areas now

Indeed. The showers seem to be moving in a south westerly direction so I guess the wind is still blowing from the north east as opposed to east? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Back to an overall white here now after todays thaw.
Snowing hard as I type.
Going to feel bitter tomorrow isn't it.   Brrrr.

B.

Edited by Beverley Lass
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

York, Leeds and Bradford could be in for a good night! 

Posted
1 minute ago, blizzard81 said:

Indeed. The showers seem to be moving in a south westerly direction so I guess the wind is still blowing from the north east as opposed to east? 

Hmm I think theres a slightly more easterly direction on the winds now, will make all the difference on the allocation of snow.

Also worth noting for yorkshire to get battered on wednesday/thursday the winds must not go SE or maybe SEE, as the trajectory of all this precip being churned up in north sea could shift north of us! We need it to stay as easterly as possibly, NEE would be favourable

• Like 3