Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

The beast needs to roar otherwise I think he’ll need to be put down at this rate.

Had around 8cm this morning. Can see it physically melting away in places. If it stays sunny for most of the afternoon I doubt there’ll be much left!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

wishing i lived in Kent right now ?

Posted
Just now, Mark Griffin said:

Why is there little convection? I though it would explode given the conditions. 

Pressure is about 1028mb, there is a considerable amount on the moors now and starting to drift quite a bit today.

Posted

Yes suprised how quick the snow has melted only got half covering now clouds look full of snow but keeps passing over we jst need some prolonged showers to put an decent covering down thought we was in business this morning but sadly not still time for change. And parts of the North East and Kent have done well so far and looks good tomorrow for them so reckon somewhere in North East will get 15 to 20cm or there abouts altogether. I will be happy with 5cm lol 

Posted

It's ludicrous really! I first read of this hype on holiday a few weeks back in the Caribbean, everytime I went online all I read about was the big dark purple monster that was going to turn the UK into some sort of frozen nuclear winter, pylons would collapse under the weight of the snow and ice, people would be looting darkened houses, we'd all be reliant on the die hard Asian shopkeepers who would still be open selling bread and milk when the supermarkets and everyone else were all shut and cobwebby from the delivery trucks stranded in the snowy wastes. And what do we get! Something that resembles the seeds of dandelions dancing around on a gentle summers breeze! ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Right I have finished feeling sorry for myself and having looked over these couple of posts from the Short Range thread I feel we have reason to believe The Beast might still show it's teeth this week.

It would appear that from tonight until Thursday morning is our best opportunity for snow given the lowest uppers and thicknesses will be passing over the UK at this time (almost unprecedented for the time of year!) which I am guessing is the reason why we are forecast lows of -5 /-6c for the next two nights with full cloud cover.

The windchill will also be ramping up during this period so lets hope we have a memorable 48 hours or so.

If we are still here with no snow cover by the end of Thursday I will gladly admit I was suckered in by a load of overhyped nonsense!  :cold::rofl:

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, snow*please said:

wishing i lived in Kent right now ?

It's over rated!  :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
9 minutes ago, Machu Picchu said:

Has anywhere in the country been buried yet? Or had 5cm even? 
I was just looking at the photos in my Album from 22/23 March 2013, now that was an event and almost a month later than this 'Beastly Attack' 
The farmers had to dig the roads out and a couple of miles away on the back roads towards Holmfirth it was like driving through tunnels 2 and 3 times highrer than the car.
This event isn't really worth the noise its getting, but i suppose the South is forecast a covering so the sensationalism goes wild.

Same in 2013 we had to get dug out by the farmers as there was 15ft snow drifts..

• Like 1

Posted

Yellow warning of heavy snow and strong winds now issued for Friday and Saturday which covers the South of the region up to around the Leeds area (for what its worth!)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Right I have finished feeling sorry for myself and having looked over these couple of posts from the Short Range thread I feel we have reason to believe The Beast might still show it's teeth this week.

It would appear that from tonight until Thursday morning is our best opportunity for snow given the lowest uppers and thicknesses will be passing over the UK at this time (almost unprecedented for the time of year!) which I am guessing is the reason why we are forecast lows of -5 /-6c for the next two nights with full cloud cover.

The windchill will also be ramping up during this period so lets hope we have a memorable 48 hours or so.

If we are still here with no snow cover by the end of Thursday I will gladly admit I was suckered in by a load of overhyped nonsense!  :cold::rofl:

Look, if its comes tonight and tomorrow and its forecast to start warming up on Saturday, then its a cold snap, it ain't no beast. It was ramped, overhyped nonsense.

Just be happy with whatever you get tomorrow and look forward to some warmer weather which will be along in a few short weeks now. The sun is just getting a bit too strong at the end of Feb, any snow soon melts and its never as cold during the day as what the rampers will tell you. Sure, it can be cold overnight though.

You need these 'beasts' to be unleashed in December and January when the days are shorter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,fairly warm in summer

last heavy snowfall hull had was beginning of December 2010,this year has been poor so far for snow.how come all the snow systems seem to skirt round east Yorkshire from whatever direction they are coming from.?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

so after the slider gate failure we now have the beast failure,think I mighnt take up knitting and ---- it!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, EastYorkie said:

Look, if its comes tonight and tomorrow and its forecast to start warming up on Saturday, then its a cold snap, it ain't no beast. It was ramped, overhyped nonsense.

Just be happy with whatever you get tomorrow and look forward to some warmer weather which will be along in a few short weeks now. The sun is just getting a bit too strong at the end of Feb, any snow soon melts and its never as cold during the day as what the rampers will tell you. Sure, it can be cold overnight though.

You need these 'beasts' to be unleashed in December and January when the days are shorter.

We had a week of lying snow in March 2013. The day after the big snowfall, the sun was shining but there was very little or no snow melt. We even had patches of snow in the first few days of April.

March 2013 this ain't though.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.
50 minutes ago, The PIT said:

WARNING MEGA SNOW IN SHEFFIELD CRISIS DECLARED

IMG_20180227_115501.jpg

Ive called in the army. Hold tight, help is on the way. Repeat. Hold tight and dont eat any yellow snow.

Posted
8 minutes ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

last heavy snowfall hull had was beginning of December 2010,this year has been poor so far for snow.how come all the snow systems seem to skirt round east Yorkshire from whatever direction they are coming from.?

Where was you in Feb 12 And Jan 13?? Hull got plenty of snow then not Dec 10 levels but that's was once in lifetime event more then likely. Has being pretty poor since March 2013 apart from transient dustings. This is most had since then which is bad looked good this morning at one point. 

Posted

Between 00:05 Fri 2nd and 23:55 Sat 3rd

There is potential for a spell of heavy snow, accompanied by strong winds at first, to affect much of Northern Ireland, Wales together with central and southern England during Friday, and perhaps further bands of snow following in behind on Saturday. Delays and cancellations to public transport are possible, as are delays to travel on roads; some stranding of vehicles and passengers could also occur. Some rural communities could become cut off. Interruptions to power supplies and mobile phone coverage are also possible.

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 12.55.35.png

27 minutes ago, Jules79 said:

It's ludicrous really! I first read of this hype on holiday a few weeks back in the Caribbean, everytime I went online all I read about was the big dark purple monster that was going to turn the UK into some sort of frozen nuclear winter, pylons would collapse under the weight of the snow and ice, people would be looting darkened houses, we'd all be reliant on the die hard Asian shopkeepers who would still be open selling bread and milk when the supermarkets and everyone else were all shut and cobwebby from the delivery trucks stranded in the snowy wastes. And what do we get! Something that resembles the seeds of dandelions dancing around on a gentle summers breeze! ?

Nice turn of phrase there. Impressive for a forum page tbh. I think you have a hidden writing talent.

Posted
20 minutes ago, EastYorkie said:

You really are a bundle of laughs aren't you?  This spell had the potential to be one of the best for 30 years.

The mild air coming up this weekend has scuppered that I grant you but there is no reason why we still could not have had a week to rival March 2013 in terms of cold and snow is there?

In hindsight we won't but then speaking with hindsight is so much easier isnt it?!

I'm sorry I just get fed up with the constant doom mongering and told you so attitude.  If people want to take a half glass full attitude then let them!

Christ I'm off for a sausage sandwich and a lie down!  :angry:

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 1

Posted

Has everyone elses radar got stuck?!?

By the way the current shower is sticking miles more readily! A sure sign 850's and thicknesses are quickly dropping!

Edited by inghams85

Posted

I am convinced most,if not all will be in on the fun this evening onwards.And for a good 36 hrs or so.

With the weekend in mind also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Can understand people frustration but Eastern areas was predicted to get 10 to 20cms of snow and that has happened in places up to now we have missed out might changed yet. Some places will probably get 20 to 30 cms i think it's going to be the North East England and North East Scotland that will cop the most lucky buggers just the way it goes. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, inghams85 said:

Has everyone elses radar got stuck?!?

By the way the current shower is sticking miles more readily! A sure sign 850's and thicknesses are quickly dropping!

Yes they just mentioned this in north east thread. Met office are having problems as well!  Just off to watch the met office live Twitter feed at 1 with Claire nasir regarding the upcoming snow!