Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Lisa Gallagher just spoke about frequent, heavy snow showers today whilst the graphics behind her showed clear sunshine all afternoon! BBC breakfast is now reporting from Yorkshire about the Amber warning and there's absolutely nothing happening where their reporter is. He's just listing roads which are not blocked ? 

• Like 1

Posted

We have a slight dusting in Scunthorpe which now means my partner and I need to travel to our respective workplaces in York and Lincoln today without having a clue what the weather might do because Met Office can't even forecast the nest hours forecast correctly. I don't think our region has had a correct weather warning in the last year! How can they get it so wrong! And there's train companies cancelling trains on the strength of those weather warnings! It's like december last year when we had an amber over us and Lincolnshire for up to 15cm of snow, Lincoln City Council cancelled the last day of the big xmas market to play safe, got huge backlash, had to pay a fortune in compensation to the stall holders, lost the city a fortune in lost income and what came! A dusting just like now!

Posted

Very disappointed. Looks like the major front on Friday is staying further south now as well. It may push up eventually but the uppers are rising all the time. Wouldn't surprise me if it ended up a slush fest on Saturday. I'm beginning to feel like a very "silly sausage" indeed. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Jules79 said:

We have a slight dusting in Scunthorpe which now means my partner and I need to travel to our respective workplaces in York and Lincoln today without having a clue what the weather might do because Met Office can't even forecast the nest hours forecast correctly. I don't think our region has had a correct weather warning in the last year! How can they get it so wrong! And there's train companies cancelling trains on the strength of those weather warnings! It's like december last year when we had an amber over us and Lincolnshire for up to 15cm of snow, Lincoln City Council cancelled the last day of the big xmas market to play safe, got huge backlash, had to pay a fortune in compensation to the stall holders, lost the city a fortune in lost income and what came! A dusting just like now!

I agree. The forecasts are abysmal these days. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Starting to get heavier now, nearly 2cm. Lovely!

Posted

I suspect we'll end up with the dregs of the frontal snow on Friday/Saturday (if anything) and end up in a coldish/slack flow which is the worst case scenario. I think most of us will be looking for some spring warmth after this, not weeks of chilly dross!

• Like 2

Light snow in Sheffield over the last hour at least making things look pretty, if a little hazardous as it settles and freezes.

Looking to the N Sea to pep up a little as we see showers head inland today. The sun rising will hopefully get convection going later :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy

In terms of snowfall, this has to be the worst easterly! On Sunday, the warnings mentioned that rural communities to the east are likely to become cut off due to heavy, drifting snowfall. There was even mentions of thunder snow showers. Those have now been watered down. I suspect, come the weekend some places will still have no snow cover.

Just now, adrianh said:

I suspect we'll end up with the dregs of the frontal snow on Friday/Saturday (if anything) and end up in a coldish/slack flow which is the worst case scenario. I think most of us will be looking for some spring warmth after this, not weeks of chilly dross!

It's looking increasingly likely I agree with Friday's frontal snow stalling as it heads north and fizzling out. Would be our luck so far this week to see it fizzle out as it approaches (a very realistic proposition on current outlook, IMO).

Posted
2 minutes ago, James M said:

Starting to get heavier now, nearly 2cm. Lovely!

I am happy for you but how ironic that those further west are getting more snow in the first major easterly for years lol. I haven't totally given up hope but I am getting that sinking feeling. 

Posted

What a waste of time down here in Sheffield. Even looking at the forecast there is only light showers forecasted for rest of week. People seem to big easterlies up yet every time they don't deliver for us

Does make me laugh in the model discussion when they always about how the south haven't had anything compared to everywhere else all winter, yet we've also not had anything of note either! 

Definitely chucking toys out of pram. If it's going to be bitter then there needs to be snow else it can do one for me. Roll on spring warmth

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Reverse Zonality said:

It's looking increasingly likely I agree with Friday's frontal snow stalling as it heads north and fizzling out. Would be our luck so far this week to see it fizzle out as it approaches (a very realistic proposition on current outlook, IMO).

I have almost given up on that frontal snow. Next 24 to 48 hours are our only hope imo. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

It could be the cold North sea that's problem. A warm north sea in January helps to generate the showers. 

Posted
Just now, Bradowl said:

It could be the cold North sea that's problem. A warm north sea in January helps to generate the showers. 

I was thinking the same. Too late in the season for a convective easterly. North sea will have cooled down too much by now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days

Some first pics from the look out side this morning... good 4” :yahoo:?

2DA998E8-6256-4F84-8CF4-54861223CE68.png

D105FE90-E0E4-42C7-9C6C-CB63F059A44D.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Not much of a beast from the east, more like a pusski from russky ???

Edited by Tony Beets
Apparently the p word for cat isn't allowed as its lady bits too!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy
6 minutes ago, Bradowl said:

No, the North Sea is still warmer than the Baltic Sea and parts of N Germany saw massive convection there. I suspect that it is due to the strength of the wind. Lighter yesterday. There will be some heavier showers today, but I don't see them surviving more than around 50 miles in land. Lincolnshire and E Yorkshire could do well today and tonight. Maybe NE Nottinghamshire to. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
40 minutes ago, cowdog said:

Currently got 8-10cm here, so the warnings were needed but they just got them to far East.

Still moderately snowing as well so could end up with a few more cm's.

Like looks like we hit the sweet spot for once buddy...?

if we get those heavy showers also we could end up with some great totals.. 

B2E6DF27-C716-49B7-AE09-9776FEADBB5F.png

Posted

Really good dumping here. Most we've had for a few years I'd say, and still coming down. Will try and measure, but from fences, etc. I'd guess 5-10 cm.

Posted

I've decided against catching a train to York today, it's snowing and settling in Scunthorpe although not heavy snow but the weather forecast is still amber and heavy persistent showers so I think I'd rather be working from home than worrying what might happen and if both my trains home will be still running. It's hard having to trust these weather forecasts! But I don't want to get stranded anywhere!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

While I'm here sulking about our paltry covering, my friend is in Stockholm, Sweden where it's -13C, with a windchill of -21C, and blizzard conditions.

Really puts things into perspective. I should have gone with him!

Edited by cheese