Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

So far this winter we've had more snow when it warmed up then when it was cold. If it sticks to the same pattern we should see more snow over the weekend. Anyway GFS has backed away from the milder outlook although it will get less cold.

One day left for winter to provide a full covering of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

After today's bust I doubt many people are going to take notice of the Met office's forecasts. 

Well you pays your money and take your choice don't you.  I still think the next few days are going to be pretty severe but I can understand the frustration and scepticism when we have had a couple of failed Amber warnings.

We will just have to wait and see.

Snow is getting a little heavier here with hints of a little intensification to our NE.

Can only hope these showers get going later today and the next couple of days. Hi-res precip models certainly look encouraging for that.

I agree big Met Office fail with the amber warning but many of us were bracing for this outcome last night when tracking the system in the N Sea.

Posted
1 hour ago, swfc said:

Has Sheffield missed the snow? ??

yup from last nights system. Should get some light snow showers today. It's now a case of nowcasting and seeing if a shower brews up that can do much than just providing a dusting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Reverse Zonality said:

Can only hope these showers get going later today and the next couple of days. Hi-res precip models certainly look encouraging for that.

I agree big Met Office fail with the amber warning but many of us were bracing for this outcome last night when tracking the system in the N Sea.

As @Weather-history alluded to though, they should have really changed the amber warning to reflect where the heaviest snow was going to fall - as per what the models were showing on the 18z updates. It's baffling that they didn't, and they are rightly going to get a lot of stick for it.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Just now, cheese said:

As @Weather-history alluded to though, they should have really changed the amber warning to reflect where the heaviest snow was going to fall - as per what the models were showing on the 18z updates. It's baffling that they didn't.

Agreed!

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

As @Weather-history alluded to though, they should have really changed the amber warning to reflect where the heaviest snow was going to fall - as per what the models were showing on the 18z updates. It's baffling that they didn't, and they are rightly going to get a lot of stick for it.

Poor I will admit given we were calling it a bust last night and we are just a bunch of amateurs!  :D

Posted
9 minutes ago, The PIT said:

So far this winter we've had more snow when it warmed up then when it was cold. If it sticks to the same pattern we should see more snow over the weekend. Anyway GFS has backed away from the milder outlook although it will get less cold.

One day left for winter to provide a full covering of snow.

Well this says otherwise.

Screenshot_20180227-054533.thumb.jpg.8190541963510fdee8ad0309ac0be003.jpgScreenshot_20180227-054603.thumb.jpg.45c4f552feaefff150722175aba67128.jpg

Decent showers are already getting going in the North Sea and so I will have a little bet with you that we end up with at least 10cms each by the end of tomorrow.  Just a sportsmans bet mind I am skint!  :D

Posted
3 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Well this says otherwise.

Screenshot_20180227-054533.thumb.jpg.8190541963510fdee8ad0309ac0be003.jpgScreenshot_20180227-054603.thumb.jpg.45c4f552feaefff150722175aba67128.jpg

Decent showers are already getting going in the North Sea and so I will have a little bet with you that we end up with at least 10cms each by the end of tomorrow.  Just a sportsmans bet mind I am skint!  :D

Thats for your area apart from today just light snow for us. Certainty will not get 10cms by the end of tomorrow. So you're on.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Met forecast for tomorrow is heavy snow and a high of -2C. The high of -2C I can see occurring, but the heavy snow? I doubt it vert much. You'd need constant showers for that to happen ,and given their forecast also showed heavy snow for today which hasn't come to pass, I'm inclined to ignore it.

Ah well, hopefully the sun doesn't come out and we can keep the snow that has settled for the next few days.

Edited by cheese

Posted
8 minutes ago, cheese said:

Met forecast for tomorrow is heavy snow and a high of -2C. The high of -2C I can see occurring, but the heavy snow? I doubt it vert much. You'd need constant showers for that to happen ,and given their forecast also showed heavy snow for today which hasn't come to pass, I'm inclined to ignore it.

Ah well, hopefully the sun doesn't come out and we can keep the snow that has settled for the next few days.

Don't forget though there is far more instability in the flow today compared to yesterday as per that post from John Holmes on Sunday so the shower activity from now on will be much more widespread and intense that it was yesterday.

You can already see the radar firing up and intensifying in some areas of our region (that area between York and Sheffield is certainly doing so).  

There also appears to be much more activity in the North Sea as well this morning.  :)

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted

Embarrassing a snow emergency down south with a dusting of snow. God how did we cope with proper snow

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

You can already see the radar firing up and intensifying in some areas of our region (that area between York and Sheffield is certainly doing so).  

.  :)

Nothing but light stuff between York and Sheffield and it's been that way since five. We should get some showers later but this will be hit and miss.

Posted
6 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Embarrassing a snow emergency down south with a dusting of snow. God how did we cope with proper snow

It really is very embarrassing. Talks of communities being cut off, danger to life, cars stranded. Christ almighty.

• Like 1

Posted

18 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Don't forget though there is far more instability in the flow today compared to yesterday as per that post from John Holmes on Sunday so the shower activity from now on will be much more widespread and intense that it was yesterday.

There also appears to be much more activity in the North Sea as well this morning.  :)

It would certainly be fitting if we got more snow tomorrow with a yellow warning. Seems about right doesn't it? 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Intense showers to the south and north but we seem to have an endless stream of light nothingness heading for the South Yorkshire area. Hopefully it'll change later

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Currently got 8-10cm here, so the warnings were needed but they just got them to far East.

Still moderately snowing as well so could end up with a few more cm's.

Posted

If it was light you would get a good pic. Light snow falling gently down due to lack of wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

There has been one injury with the Amber warning I got caught in the eye by a rough snowflake but I soon  recovered if it happens again I might have to go to A&E just to be safe.:cold:

Edited by sorepaw1

Posted

Just driven to Seamer station from Bempton still light snow falling main roads clear, side roads need care. Probably 3cm on average. Certainly not Amber warning conditions here, but it does seem to have kept some of the numpties indoors, less traffic than usual and everyone making steady progress.

Posted

Poor beeb presenters having to go out and show mega dusting. At least the one Im listening to is honest. It hasn't happened.