Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

This cold spell has given renewed hope on seeing something like 2013. 2010, 1991 or even 1987 in this country again. There's so much that has to happen at the right time in the season - It's like winning the lottery and getting 4 numbers with the other 2 very close.

It's like the weather is teasing us.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
Just now, The PIT said:

Thankfully NMM isn't very accurate and I've stopped using it because of that.

Lets hope so PIT, the trends have certainly been to shift this trough north westwards over the last 24 hours, much to my annoyance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
4 minutes ago, terrier said:

Don’t think 2010 or 2013 was ever on the cards in my book to be honest. Think most of us will see 2-5cm with maybe North Yorkshire moors favoured spot. 

It has barely started yet so how can we compare it to anything ?:D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
10 minutes ago, EastYorkie said:

Yes, its all hype once again, the 'Beast from the East' is more like a fart in a hurricane.

The so called expert posters on here were predicting sub zero daytime temperatures, lake effect snow bringing vast amounts of snow for days on end, from Russia with love, worst weather for 30-40 years, a once in a lifetime event etc. Once again absolute tosh, not enough snow to make an icecube today and +2 degrees where I live near the east coast. Nothing more than a normally chilly day in winter.

To cap it all it'll turn milder on Friday and its all over by Saturday. In other words a fairly normal cold snap. A few days ago they were saying that the 'cold pool' can't be shifted by the mild air, its locked in for upto two weeks. Utter rubbish.

Tomorrow is meant to be the main snow event - now predicted to bring 5cm - oh hang on a minute let me catch my breath - yep a full two inches. Hardly extreme stuff.

Why these people feel the need to make these outlandish predictions is beyond me based on a few runs of the models. Its ridiculous stuff. Stick to what you know, stop hyping it and realise this is a tiny island surrounded by relatively warm sea. 

What we know is that milder weather in on the way at the weekend and any return to colder weather is just fantasy island at this stage. 

Who took the jam out of your doughnut?!

I really don't know what there is to be downbeat about?  This is likely to be the coldest spell we have had for years!

Anyway I will keep my positivity to myself from now on and just enjoy my cold and snow on my own when it arrives!  :hi:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Bit annoyed south east grabbing the best snow showers. Send them up here we know how to cope with them or used too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
14 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

alot did say it could be better than 2010/2013? ...... 

Including terrier that's what got me so excited!  :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
25 minutes ago, EastYorkie said:

Yes, its all hype once again, the 'Beast from the East' is more like a fart in a hurricane.

The so called expert posters on here were predicting sub zero daytime temperatures, lake effect snow bringing vast amounts of snow for days on end, from Russia with love, worst weather for 30-40 years, a once in a lifetime event etc. Once again absolute tosh, not enough snow to make an icecube today and +2 degrees where I live near the east coast. Nothing more than a normally chilly day in winter.

Correction- the actual knowledgeable posters have been quite non-committal and always issue caveats. There are some idiots who post rubbish like ‘feet of snow’, ‘blizzards across the country’ and such who are a real embarrassment though. More fool anyone who takes them at their word! They are easy to spot because they use words like feel, imagine, gut instinct and such, their meteorological knowledge is way behind their emotional incontinence!

Probably a good job this isn’t the models thread!

Edited by ukpaul
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer

I just watched the met office video forecast. Not sure when it was iussued but the graphic had the snow completely missing us to the west in the morning 

Posted
7 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Bit annoyed south east grabbing the best snow showers. Send them up here we know how to cope with them or used too.

They are coming mate we join them better thicknesses within the next hour we just lack the same instability so cloud depths are called at 5000ft right now hence the crud like low cloud and light snow. Cloud tops will be nearer 9k - 10k by 8,9pm onwards Notice on Euro4 the snow predicted midnight. If you could see in between them hours we have heavy showers hence the 5cm warning. Everyone stay patient....

Edited by inghams85
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

This cold spell has given renewed hope on seeing something like 2013. 2010, 1991 or even 1987 in this country again. There's so much that has to happen at the right time in the season - It's like winning the lottery and getting 4 numbers with the other 2 very close.

It's like the weather is teasing us.

Im guilty of it myself, but we shouldn't really be comparing things to Mega events such as 2010 where large parts of the region had almost 2ft of snow, even 2013 was something special in regards to how much snow actually fell 

Edited by ChezWeather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.
27 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Because the warning has human input and the app is computer generated aka useless!

True, yet the Met Office app displays symbols as per their own warnings. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, ukpaul said:

Correction- the actual knowledgeable posters have been quite non-committal and always issue caveats. There are some idiots who post rubbish like feet of snow’, ‘blizzards across the country’ and such who are a real embarrassment though. More fool anyone who takes them at their word! They are east to spot because they use words like feel, imagine, gut instinct and such, their meteorological knowledge is way behind their emotional incontinence!

Probably a good job this isn’t the models thread!

One of the reasons I found this forum was because I was on a facebook weather group with a Mod who seriously over ramps any  slight forecast for cold, wind or snow, he gets seriously apocalyptic and then gets stroppy with anyone that refuses to get apocalyptic with him!

Posted

I will be as ##ssed off as anyone if we end up with diddly squat.

Tonight may be the start of a decent cold spell involving snow. 

Posted

Wowsers. People need to take a chill pill. All the *knowledgeable* forecasters (and I’m definitely NOT one of them) had said there was nothing going to happen till Monday late afternoon/evening the earliest...it’s been mentioned a few times now...just please enjoy what’s coming in the next few days, stay safe and watch out for the surprises!....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow
7 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Who took the jam out of your doughnut?!

I really don't know what there is to be downbeat about?  This is likely to be the coldest spell we have had for years!

Anyway I will keep my positivity to myself from now on and just enjoy my cold and snow on my own when it arrives!  :hi:

Jam out of your doughnut,love it will use it.

please continue your lovely positive posts, they give me a smidgen of hope. hope I will cling onto till Friday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

its an all nighter for me ....... these don't come around very often. ( possibly with a bottle of Highland Park close at hand )

work tomorrow can just sod off !

Isn't that just downright irresponsible of you? Surely you have customers, work colleagues and even bosses who depend on you and they are a bit more important than watching a computer screen all night and then you not being fit to go to work.

You do want you want, but I think its a disgrace to let other people down over something that is so incredibly, unimportantly, selfish.

The snow will come or not regardless of you watching it all night.

• Like 1

Posted

Why the disappointment, today's been as forecast hasn't it?

The Polar Continental airmass has announced its arrival with leaden skies, snow flurries and windchill taking it below 0C most of the day

The real action starts tomorrow, as has been forecast for several days

• Like 2

Posted

Does anyone feel that we may get some action well before 4 am as predicted. Looks like a little ordeurve may be on the menu?

I think the low is going to provide a few headaches for the MET as it interacts with the sea and cold uppers

Screenshot_20180226-181547.png

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, winterof79 said:

Does anyone feel that we may get some action well before 4 am as predicted. Looks like a little ordeurve may be on the menu?

I think the low is going to provide a few headaches for the MET as it interacts with the sea and cold uppers

Screenshot_20180226-181547.png

Surprises are always the best ! :) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

I think whoever created this image might just have been on the pop... (copied from Facebook).  Does this count as fake news! ?

IMG_0030.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.
24 minutes ago, EastYorkie said:

Only by certain posters on here. The Met Off certainly didn't predict a lot of snow, just cold and the possibility of snow for a few days.Amounts were always less than 10 cms in total. 

To be fair they did say 10 to 20 cms in some places. It will feel very cold as you say -16c with windchill is pretty cold. The model thread sadly does have way too much signal to noise in it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
5 minutes ago, Oymyakon said:

Why the disappointment, today's been as forecast hasn't it?

The Polar Continental airmass has announced its arrival with leaden skies, snow flurries and windchill taking it below 0C most of the day

The real action starts tomorrow, as has been forecast for several days

Actually we've had more flurries than forecast. I'm now just getting fed up with cloud which is keeping the temps up. If ain't going to snow properly let us freeze instead.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
1 minute ago, SouthYorks said:

I think whoever created this image might just have been on the pop... (copied from Facebook).  Does this count as fake news! ?

IMG_0030.JPG

That’s James maddens colouring book ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow
Just now, Barking_Mad said:

To be fair they did say 10 to 20 cms in some places. It will feel very cold as you say -16c with windchill is pretty cold. The model thread sadly does have way too much signal to noise in it. 

Yep I'm sure Countryfile forecast stated certain depths as well