Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
1 hour ago, reef said:

Really quite disappointed with the move west. We're now relying on shower activity from Tuesday morning onwards to deliver the goods and the models have that dying out by Thursday morning. The window seems to be getting smaller and I'm not entirely convinced on the Friday / Saturday potential here either.

I'd have to agree. This event was looking to be an awful lot of snow throughout this week for the Yorkshire area. That's unfortunately not the case anymore with us only really having Tuesday / Wednesday as the main event, and even then that only looks like it'll deliver a few cms. Sure some places will get more, but from where we was a week ago following the event through, it is rather a disappointment if it turns out like that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
3 minutes ago, Barking_Mad said:

What's the point of the BBC issuing the Met Office amber warning and then having its weather apps display the symbol for light snow and sunshine as its graphic on the weather app on all those places under an amber warning?

Because the warning has human input and the app is computer generated aka useless!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
8 minutes ago, cowdog said:

The low is now on the edges of the UK Radar!

Also according to the radar there is snow almost over the whole region currently, its just light expect it to get heavier once it gets dark and the temps drop.

image.png.60ddeee72dd9bbfe1c7f139241c7fb8a.png

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, snow*please said:

the tone in here as deffinately changed somewhat, everyone was upbeat yesterday...well almost everyone, now its like nothing memorable is going to happen :(

Are we all just getting inpatient and worrying unnecessarily lol. 

Yes, its all hype once again, the 'Beast from the East' is more like a fart in a hurricane.

The so called expert posters on here were predicting sub zero daytime temperatures, lake effect snow bringing vast amounts of snow for days on end, from Russia with love, worst weather for 30-40 years, a once in a lifetime event etc. Once again absolute tosh, not enough snow to make an icecube today and +2 degrees where I live near the east coast. Nothing more than a normally chilly day in winter.

To cap it all it'll turn milder on Friday and its all over by Saturday. In other words a fairly normal cold snap. A few days ago they were saying that the 'cold pool' can't be shifted by the mild air, its locked in for upto two weeks. Utter rubbish.

Tomorrow is meant to be the main snow event - now predicted to bring 5cm - oh hang on a minute let me catch my breath - yep a full two inches. Hardly extreme stuff.

Why these people feel the need to make these outlandish predictions is beyond me based on a few runs of the models. Its ridiculous stuff. Stick to what you know, stop hyping it and realise this is a tiny island surrounded by relatively warm sea. 

What we know is that milder weather in on the way at the weekend and any return to colder weather is just fantasy island at this stage. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, LeeSnowFan said:

The heaviest snowfall seems to be falling at the moment in Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, north Essex and Buckinghamshire.

Go to the model run any of them and lool at the light blue thickness over these areas on the H500. This moved north gradually and with us at 7pm. This is why we will have the same intensity from this point 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Nothing more than a very light dusting in North Lincs 

Everytime I check for tomorrow's low it seems to get further and further away from the Scunny area 

After watching the Countryfile forecast my hopes were kind of high for the most significant snowfall since 2010 (obviously nothing like that though) 

I'm now not convinced that Scunny or North Lincs will see much snow action at all 

This beast is far from beastly lol 

Posted
21 minutes ago, snow*please said:

the tone in here as deffinately changed somewhat, everyone was upbeat yesterday...well almost everyone, now its like nothing memorable is going to happen :(

Are we all just getting inpatient and worrying unnecessarily lol. 

I have to say I feel the opposite.  The anticipation is building and building for me I am buzzing for this week!

Whether that anticipation is misplaced or not I will let you know on Friday but for now I think it will be a memorable week and we will be talking about it for a long time!  :cold:

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Kentish Snowman said:

I have to say I feel the opposite.  The anticipation is building and building for me I am buzzing for this week!

Whether that anticipation is misplaced or not I will let you know on Friday but for now I think it will be a memorable week and we will be talking about it for a long time!  :cold:

I love  your confidence! lets hope it happens :) otherwise I'm gonna have alot of people moaning at me! :p 

Posted

Watch North East I believe that is the start of the low pressure I would like to think anything that falls from now on will not melt like today's snow! 

Posted
Just now, LeeSnowFan said:

I love  your confidence! lets hope it happens :) otherwise I'm gonna have alot of people moaning at me! :p 

And me!:aggressive:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Whoa chill out people. Was this ever forecast to be snowmagedon no it wasn’t. Some of us will see a few cms tomorrow morning. And I will take that over last few winters we’ve had. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, EastYorkie said:

Yes, its all hype once again, the 'Beast from the East' is more like a fart in a hurricane.

The so called expert posters on here were predicting sub zero daytime temperatures, lake effect snow bringing vast amounts of snow for days on end, from Russia with love, worst weather for 30-40 years, a once in a lifetime event etc. Once again absolute tosh, not enough snow to make an icecube today and +2 degrees where I live near the east coast. Nothing more than a normally chilly day in winter.

To cap it all it'll turn milder on Friday and its all over by Saturday. In other words a fairly normal cold snap. A few days ago they were saying that the 'cold pool' can't be shifted by the mild air, its locked in for upto two weeks. Utter rubbish.

Tomorrow is meant to be the main snow event - now predicted to bring 5cm - oh hang on a minute let me catch my breath - yep a full two inches. Hardly extreme stuff.

Why these people feel the need to make these outlandish predictions is beyond me based on a few runs of the models. Its ridiculous stuff. Stick to what you know, stop hyping it and realise this is a tiny island surrounded by relatively warm sea. 

What we know is that milder weather in on the way at the weekend and any return to colder weather is just fantasy island at this stage. 

Sausage is that you? :yahoo:

• Like 3

Posted

Well,just had a couple hours kip after work for an all nighter?.

Can't believe the mood in here. Things will get going soon.

A couple of hours should start to see intensification.

Then a cracking band moving down from the me,yes nobody can pinpoint it atm but it will intensify some more over the long fetch then beefy showers tomorrow and wednes and night.

Bring it on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, terrier said:

Whoa chill out people. Was this ever forecast to be snowmagedon no it wasn’t. Some of us will see a few cms tomorrow morning. And I will take that over last few winters we’ve had. 

alot did say it could be better than 2010/2013? ...... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

i felt the same yesterday, was super giddy, but that feeling seems to be fizzling away :(

I really really hope your right or my kids are going to be gunning for me ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Don't think I'll see snow fall in scunny ever again like we had in 2010

40+cm 

Snow on the ground for weeks 

Posted

My weather emotions today remind me of lpool in the European cup final vs AC Milan. All hope before the match and then gutted by half time.

And then......miracles can happen, come on Beast from The East!!!

2 minutes ago, terrier said:

Only by certain posters on here. The Met Off certainly didn't predict a lot of snow, just cold and the possibility of snow for a few days.Amounts were always less than 10 cms in total. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

That ppn looks to be heading on a direct hit and intensifying,chill guys:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

There was never any snow forecast before Monday pm and rude posts saying that experienced posters promised that is simply wrong.

It has got to 0/1 degree out of the town's in the west and will not get above zero during Tues through to Thursday in those areas with any snow cover.

Uppers are seriously low and if you can read models at all you would see this is a very cold period of weather with the most unstable air not due until the second push after tonight's  disturbance now showing on the radar.

Enjoy :)

Screenshot_20180226-180011.png

Screenshot_20180226-175949.png

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
6 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

alot did say it could be better than 2010/2013? ...... 

Don’t think 2010 or 2013 was ever on the cards in my book to be honest. Think most of us will see 2-5cm with maybe North Yorkshire moors favoured spot. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Latest NMM shows the trough moving across North Yorkshire and parts of West Yorkshire, missing myself (E North Yorks), East and South Yorks.

Wonder what the Met Office are seeing differently as I'm not far from the centre of the Amber warning.

nmmuk-1-17-0.png?26-18

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well with the GFS ready to push double figure temps into South Yorkshire later on Sunday just a two days to get a full days cover in for winter and a couple more for March. The batch of snow showers popping into view ont he radar should hit north and west Yorkshire nicely as it heads south west how much of east South Yorkshire gets will depend on how wide the system is. Radar watching should tell us soon.

temps minus -1.5C gone up a bit however as you can see from my webcam their isn't a lot of  Snow around here  http://www.sheffieldweather.net:82/en/mjpgmain.asp

Posted
1 minute ago, Lincstim said:

Don't think I'll see snow fall in scunny ever again like we had in 2010

40+cm 

Snow on the ground for weeks 

To be honest those times weren't fun, all the pavements were lethal all over the town because the council didn't know how to cope with it, I saw elderly people falling and being carted off in Ambulances, my fella slipped and broke his ribs on the compacted icy snow. The snow was novel when it first landed but once it got compacted it was horrendous. It's also not great if your jobs are outside of Scunthorpe. You have to also think about elderly or vulnerable people that rely on carers being able to get to them, people that need to get to hospitals for chemo and dialysis etc. I hate to sound like a killjoy and I do like snow but I never really understand those that want a dangerous amount that would cause absolute chaos for the country.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
2 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Latest NMM shows the trough moving across North Yorkshire and parts of West Yorkshire, missing myself (E North Yorks), East and South Yorks.

Wonder what the Met Office are seeing differently as I'm not far from the centre of the Amber warning.

nmmuk-1-17-0.png?26-18

Thankfully NMM isn't very accurate and I've stopped using it because of that.