Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

This is what I roughly expect this week.

Monday, moderate snow showers on the east coast only slowly spreading west.

Well scattered in nature though.Only slight accumulations in a few spots.

Monday night, snow showers turning a little heavier in the east and making their way further west but still well scattered here. Again only slight accumulations.

Tuesday, a feature to develop in the north sea to move down from the ne affecting most areas(far north and west York's may miss).Shold bring a couple of " at least to eastern and southern areas with only light snow the further north and west you are.

Tuesday night will see heavy snow showers moving in on strengthening winds more scattered the further west you are.

Wednes probably the winteriest  day for shower activity.

Heavy snow showers moving well in land on strong easterly winds.Drifting in places and nearly everyone will have a covering. Up to 6" in favoured spots(especially east and high ground). Temps just below freezing all day.

Same overnight.

Thursday. Shower activity diminishing as the system from the sw approaches.

Uncertain after but likely to see a significant spell of snow fridayish.

I think it will stay cold after with a disrupting trough to the south of us imo.

Further  sunny spells and snow showers after but with the uncertainty of wind direction(ne,se,e) depends on the distribution of the showers and temp just above freezing at this point.

Severe frosts over tue,wed and thurs nights.

Good luck all and enjoy.

Edited by joggs
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Do we think an Amber warning will be issued soon for Yorkshire? 

Hopefully not always jinxes it lol 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Given how complex the snow forecasting is gonna be, I bet the warnings come out this evening. I for one will be glued to Countryfile tonight....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
24 minutes ago, snow*please said:

ok, so when are we expected to start seeing some snow? Keep reading different things, trying to find out as my partner works nights delivering all over yorkshire (milkman) ? is he going to get some snow days lol 

East coast should start seeing snow as early as tomorrow later on a few may drift further inland. Tuesday is where the showers intensify and become more widespread with a more organised band of showers moving NE - SW ( Although the exact track is uncertain so watch this space ). Following that the deepest cold starts to set in intensifying showers again some will do better than others but the whole region is in the firing line as shower reach as far as the west coast and Northern Ireland. Thursday is a very similar setup although no weather warnings are in place but I’m sure we will shortly. Then to Friday there’s a potential of a low pressure system coming up from the S/SW although this is a long way off yet and may just slip south over France if it does come into Britain however it could bring some large amounts of snow obviously we don’t know if it will reach this far north as we don’t know if it will even hit the uk. Then to Saturday same situation more showers. We truly are in for a treat next week and into the week after. I’m looking forward to seeing icicles again and lying snow fields and beauty sunshine inbetween the showers. Wrap up warm and keep safe and look after the vulnerable these events don’t come around often..:cold::yahoo::cold-emoji:

Edited by Yorkshirepudding
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Stelmer said:

Given how complex the snow forecasting is gonna be, I bet the warnings come out this evening. I for one will be glued to Countryfile tonight....

Same here but my favourite program anyway. I'm not sure what time the met office usually update, anyone know? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,wind, heat and thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Tinker Bell said:

Same here but my favourite program anyway. I'm not sure what time the met office usually update, anyone know? 

Amber warning just issued! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, NorthYorkMoorsSnow said:

Amber warning just issued! 

yeah and im about 15 miles outside of it ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Can certainly see why the east have been issued an amber warning looking at the euro 4 output. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, snow*please said:

yeah and im about 15 miles outside of it ?

Plenty of time for wiggle room?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms
1 minute ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Amber in place! just need it to move a little more west! 

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 12.31.23.png

lets keep our fingers crossed ? 

Oh amber you big tease ? 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

This still looks amazing though ?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
6 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Jesus I've got yellow snow......typical

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Tbh guys regardless of the amber warning, heavy pulses of snow in the surrounding areas of the orange warnimg cannot be ruled out. Its just more of a scribbled guide. If there was a map of yorkshire after the tuesday snow event indicating the amounts of snow fallen, you can guarntee it wont be as smooth as that orange warning area. And on top of that you have convection and streamers. 

Edited by Snowjokes92
  • Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Don't believe the apps!  We will have snow showers pushing in from tonight and then gradually becoming heavier and more widespread throughout tomorrow.

There will then be a period of more prolonged snow Tuesday morning which should give most of the region a covering.

Then as we head into Tuesday night the convection should should really ramp up as the isobars tighten and the coldest of the uppers are funneled West (thundersnow anyone)?

That should take us through to Thursday and then Friday anything is possible including a huge blizzard from the South!

Saturday is too far out to be concerned with at the moment but the Meto app is suggesting temperatures barely above freezing and an ongoing snow risk!  :yahoo:

Screenshot_20180225-094938.thumb.jpg.3c360ad15246219996a2fea0df40066b.jpg

Plus this update from the Meto for our region is just about the wintriest I have ever seen so no not really a damp squib!  :rofl:

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

Bitterly cold and turning increasingly windy, with penetrating night frosts. Frequent, occasionally heavy snow showers giving significant accumulations for many, with drifting.

:cold::cold:

I have a family crisis looming. My son is at Hull Uni and is so happy about the upcoming events, my daughter is at Manchester Uni and isnt a happy chappy about the upcoming prospects for Manchester ( jealous of her brother ), and here I am sat in the middle right on the will it wont it line as usual. The only significant snowfall either can remember is 2010 when they were 13 and 12. Im hoping all 3 of us see some of the white stuff :nea:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
5 minutes ago, Snowjokes92 said:

Tbh guys regardless of the amber warning, heavy pulses of snow in the surrounding areas of the orange warnimg cannot be ruled out. Its just more of a scribbled guide. If there was a map after of yorkshire after the tuesday snow event indicating the amounts of snow fallen, you can guarntee it wont be as smooth as that orange warning area. And on top of that you have convection and streamers. 

That warning is purely for the disturbance moving in off the North Sea. Streamers will occur readily on Wednesday with the second push of extremely cold uppers and the wind strengthening. 

final_streamline_2_2018022500_105.jpg

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
1 minute ago, winterof79 said:

That warning is purely for the disturbance moving in off the North Sea. Streamers will occur readily on Wednesday with the second push of extremely cold uppers and the wind strengthening. 

There will be convection through tuesday as well. That disturbance will not be as  smooth as that orange area is. It could so be the precipitation stretches a bit more west with pockets of heavy PPN. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Snowjokes92 said:

Tbh guys regardless of the amber warning, heavy pulses of snow in the surrounding areas of the orange warnimg cannot be ruled out. Its just more of a scribbled guide. If there was a map of yorkshire after the tuesday snow event indicating the amounts of snow fallen, you can guarntee it wont be as smooth as that orange warning area. And on top of that you have convection and streamers. 

So those not in the amber will/could still see as much snow as those in the amber ?

Posted

To be fair this could of missed Yorkshire completely on Tuesday morning with its first position to be Northumberland!

• Thanks 1