Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Sadly a warm up is not far outside the reliable time frame so it looks like a blink and you've missed severe cold spell. Good model agreement from around T144. So will we a get the first day of lying snow. Not managed this winter yet so this week is the last chance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

Cold can't continue forever - has to end at some point. Quite frankly the fact that we are looking at potentially 3-4 ice days in late February/early March is bonkers enough as it is.

It's remarkable, so late in the season and so many out there will get caught out, there's a generation that's never experienced a true easterly! It's given me hope for the future. Leeds Jan 1995 snow will be beaten eventually!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

i dont care what the weekend brings, we have alllll week to get through first and i have never seen as many snow symbols over as many days for my location, if it comes off like that i will still be a very happy bunny at the weekend even if its 15°c! 

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, sausage said:

i think the moderators are disgraceful not sorting out the model thread. anyhow as far as i can see everything looking amaze for us all. i would love a day of blizzards! even though still easterlies at end of week there will normally be a precip gap north of the system so might not continue to blow showers through. 

why the moaning in there?! have they not read the most upgraded wintry met office outlook yet???

and to those following apps etc like bbc. dont bother no point because since bbc left meto theyve been crap!!

Yes, how dare we not use more of our free time on a weekend (voluntarily I might add) to sieve through a thread deleting 10s or hundreds MORE posts because people post off-topic, can't be bothered to post in the right place, or whinge for whinging sake!

There's not that many of us and we already spend a lot of time trying to keep the thread on topic. We're weather enthusiasts too and would like to spend some time enjoying whats coming up aswell!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

On a positive note, have you seen the updated BBC 5 day forecast. It’s done by Mr Scaferknacker (sorry spelt wrong) and it’s the sort that we may look back on as a classic!!  Here’s the link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/43184987

• Like 1

Posted

On a less positive note, the ECM puts me down a little. 

Mir is a long way off so will hopefully change.

My concern is that the winds are much more SEly which is not Hal as good for snow showers especially in the west of our region. A straight Eastley is much better.  Hopefully it’s because the low pressure from the south is modelled incorrectly for now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Aaargh the curse of cloud returns. Temps on the rise as it clouds over. Hopefully it will clear before long.

Posted
3 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Oh dear are the models having a wobble 

are they really? wish i could understand them ? 

Never mind, i see its the weekend that people are getting their knickers in a twist over lol

Edited by snow*please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
1 hour ago, Stelmer said:

It's remarkable, so late in the season and so many out there will get caught out, there's a generation that's never experienced a true easterly! It's given me hope for the future. Leeds Jan 1995 snow will be beaten eventually!

We had a severe cold spell at end of March in late 1970s, over a foot of level snow with drifts much higher across large parts of Yorkshire.

A foot of snow fell late April in 1981 though this was more over hills with lower areas only having a few inches, temps were only 1'C during day light hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

Sadly a warm up is not far outside the reliable time frame so it looks like a blink and you've missed severe cold spell. Good model agreement from around T144. So will we a get the first day of lying snow. Not managed this winter yet so this week is the last chance.

We can't reach that conclusion yet!

A week is an age away with this setup.  I won't deny the risk of our cold spell ending next weekend has increased since yesterday but its far too early to be giving this Winter it's last rites.

Both the GFS and ECM runs were at the mild end of their suites with the means keeping our region in the game for an extended cold spell.

That coupled with the fact the Meto and we can only assume MOGREPS is still extending the cold means there is a very good chance the cold could extend well into March even if we get a temporary relaxation of the cold next weekend.

And hey even if it does turn into Spring next weekend we will have been spoilt with an exceptionally cold and snowy week for so late in the season culminating in a huge blizzard on Friday.

Much to be positive about IMHO!  :cold:

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

Even if it does turn milder, since when was 5 days of cold with at least 3 ice days a “blink and you’ve missed it” event?

Yes, looks like we may only get 1 to 2 feet of snow in Sheffield...just not up to those winters you had in the 70s and 80s. M0dern Wlnter.... ?

Edited by Pilgers
  • Like 1

Posted

im very much looking forward to this! i cant wait until next week to see how we all do...so next weekend can wait and quite frankly can do what it wants ?

fa7038e9fc1a296e7eaacb7696856f08--snow-meme-winter-is-coming.jpg

Screenshot_20180224-205815.png

Screenshot_20180224-205821.png

Screenshot_20180224-205828.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow

If anyone follow met monkey, nice chance of thunder snow right down the east side of England. Never seen it so fingers crossed.

Edited by tornado tams
got no idea.
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, snow*please said:

im very much looking forward to this! i cant wait until next week to see how we all do...so next weekend can wait and quite frankly can do what it wants ?

Let's hope this happens 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Let's hope this happens 

keep the faith! It will happen, its our turn this time. Will all fall perfect for our region, you watch lol  ? 

4 minutes ago, snow*please said:

keep the faith! It will happen, its our turn this time. Will all fall perfect for our region, you watch lol  ? 

Yes it's worth mentioning for those who don't follow the models (great health conscious decision that, by the way!) that the uncertainty to end next week has no bearing on the severe cold that envelopes us tomorrow night onwards... 

...snow will follow over a very cold N Sea and penetrate well inland :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Jesus just been outside. Isnt that easterly breeze so bitter. Cnt even feel my fingers. Feels more like -8 no exageration!! Is that just me?!

4 minutes ago, Snowjokes92 said:

Jesus just been outside. Isnt that easterly breeze so bitter. Cnt even feel my fingers. Feels more like -8 no exageration!! Is that just me?!

Try the same thing tomorrow night! :cold:

SomeImmenseArizonaalligatorlizard-size_r

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
36 minutes ago, snow*please said:

Have to say I have never seen so many snow symbols on the Meto app as are showing for next week.

Let's hope the weather agrees with the models!  :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Someone in Whitby just told me he doesn't think it'll snow. The air is too salty.. 

He's in for a shock... (or is he right in some sense?)