Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Can’t do with the mod thread at moment every other posts is about the south. It’s as if anywhere north of Leicester doesn’t exists. Anyway still looking good for our region I think. :cold:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
1 minute ago, terrier said:

Can’t do with the mod thread at moment every other posts is about the south. It’s as if anywhere north of Leicester doesn’t exists. Anyway still looking good for our region I think. :cold:

Aye, if GFS is to be believed large parts of Yorkshire won't get above freezing for a week. If that happens that will be a pretty remarkable cold spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer
4 minutes ago, terrier said:

Yes it's getting very annoying now. I was going to post something about it in there. But there's no point as it would just get removed. We've got potentially the best spell of weather for a long time and it's getting completely overlooked. Hanging their hopes on Friday, it's getting tedious now. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
2 minutes ago, Pennine Ten Foot Drifts said:

Aye, if GFS is to be believed large parts of Yorkshire won't get above freezing for a week. If that happens that will be a pretty remarkable cold spell.

Like the old days. GFS forgets the idea of the first low giving a return to spring but does with the next low. Thankfully lala land. Today a beautiful day warmer than expected although the cloud last night stopped the temps from falling. Tonight no problem so should be a good air frost.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow
4 minutes ago, Decemberof2010 said:

Yes it's getting very annoying now. I was going to post something about it in there. But there's no point as it would just get removed. We've got potentially the best spell of weather for a long time and it's getting completely overlooked. Hanging their hopes on Friday, it's getting tedious now. 

Hi Decemberof2010 will you be changing your name to feb/marof2018 if this all pans out?

Edited by tornado tams
spelling
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

never wanted the weekend to hurry up and go as fast as this before ? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer
9 minutes ago, tornado tams said:

Hi Decemberof2010 will you be changing your name to feb/marof2018 if this all pans out?

Haha. Yes, there is every chance if this gets anywhere near that event, it will be considered! 

My benchmarks are: January 95 for a snow event, and December 2010 for snow and depth of cold. Obviously March 2013 was great too with significant drifts. 

Posted

GFS is known to overdo Atlantic lows, but I've got a feeling this setup is different...just imagine all of Yorkshire in the sweet spot come Friday...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

nmm_uk1-42-36-0.png?24-18

Monday's showers starting to come into range on the hi-res modelling :)

Posted

E4BC0501-700A-4425-BD52-D0E49ECD82EB.gifMust admit thought those totals may have been a little higher. But I guess at that range it’s pure guess work. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!
2 minutes ago, terrier said:

E4BC0501-700A-4425-BD52-D0E49ECD82EB.gifMust admit thought those totals may have been a little higher. But I guess at that range it’s pure guess work. 

it's because by the time the LP tracks far enough north it actually loses most of its strength.  All it does is pave the way for the second GFS LP system to obliterate the cold pool.  Thankfully, other models aren't supporting this evolution.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast - someone introduced me to this link in another thread I believe, it uses the GFS-data for snow-data so offers a good overview of what to expect for your area.  Hopefully we see the forecast improve as we get closer to the time.

Edited by weatherguy
  • Like 1

i think the moderators are disgraceful not sorting out the model thread. anyhow as far as i can see everything looking amaze for us all. i would love a day of blizzards! even though still easterlies at end of week there will normally be a precip gap north of the system so might not continue to blow showers through. 

why the moaning in there?! have they not read the most upgraded wintry met office outlook yet???

and to those following apps etc like bbc. dont bother no point because since bbc left meto theyve been crap!!

• Like 2

Posted

Well just had a rant about the southern biased in the model thread. Bet it gets removed. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
34 minutes ago, weatherguy said:

it's because by the time the LP tracks far enough north it actually loses most of its strength.  All it does is pave the way for the second GFS LP system to obliterate the cold pool.  Thankfully, other models aren't supporting this evolution.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast - someone introduced me to this link in another thread I believe, it uses the GFS-data for snow-data so offers a good overview of what to expect for your area.  Hopefully we see the forecast improve as we get closer to the time.

Also GFS isn't very good at picking up convection - and it's just one model offering one possibility. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms
12 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Mo 26.02.2018 12 GMT

EURO4 for mid-day on Monday 

Not as much precipitation as i was expecting for the north east

Posted
Just now, LeeSnowFan said:

lol I seen! 

Lol trundles away into a corner quietly......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

I for 1 don't care about the possible breakdown right now, got 3 or 4 days of exciting radar watching lol we will get to that part soon ?

• Like 3

Posted

Wowzers I hope the ecm has been in the pub all afternoon. Not liking that one bit. Back into milder air by next weekend. Normally I would say massive outliner. But worryingly kind of follows the gfs06z from this morning. This isn’t a trend we want to see continue. :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, terrier said:

Wowzers I hope the ecm has been in the pub all afternoon. Not liking that one bit. Back into milder air by next weekend. Normally I would say massive outliner. But worryingly kind of follows the gfs06z from this morning. This isn’t a trend we want to see continue. :wallbash:

Cold can't continue forever - has to end at some point. Quite frankly the fact that we are looking at potentially 3-4 ice days in late February/early March is bonkers enough as it is.

• Like 2