Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
1 minute ago, BA Baracus said:

Yes, it's an odd little system. Liam Dutton on twitter mentions it as an upside down low pressure system. It does look further North, the fax chart has it down in South Wales at lunch Tuesday after approaching from Newcastle area.  Drawing a line between the 2 suggests an event more for North West of the region; Skipton, Bradford, Halifax etc. 

Yes Newcastle looking fantastic. Think my best chance is a Humber streamer...after all this ramping up I hope I'm not going to disappointed. Accumulations don't look that great for my area, but I guess it's too early at this stage to tell where and what will fall. 

Sledge and snow shovel at the ready 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

I presume this is a lake effect that we may see in the north sea this coming week! 

From Sat24.

Capture.PNG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

Icon 6z brings in a nice dollop of snow early doors Tuesday. looks like its heading  South west towards North Wales 

icon-10-72.thumb.png.f6131477d29e78afab48392eb35af9dd.pngicon-2-72.thumb.png.ab264fbcafa110a408c092f14ff98b92.png

• Like 1

Posted

Best Met office write up I've seen since being on the internet :yahoo:

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday:

Extremely cold with snow showers, these becoming frequent and sometimes heavy through Monday, with no change Tuesday and Wednesday, leading to locally significant accumulations. Becoming windy from Tuesday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Craigers said:

Best Met office write up I've seen since being on the internet :yahoo:

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday:

Extremely cold with snow showers, these becoming frequent and sometimes heavy through Monday, with no change Tuesday and Wednesday, leading to locally significant accumulations. Becoming windy from Tuesday.

Indeed! weather warning issued for parts of South Yorkshire on Monday as well now! :) 

Posted

GFS 06z rolling out. In terms of snow it shows the first showers / cold front hitting the east coast around Sunday 9pm. These readily progress inland so by Monday morning there could be a covering anywhere.  Showers persist until Tuesday when an area of low pressure moves SW. As stated in an earlier post it appears as though this will be NW of the region mainly but it's too far out to have any confidence in this. After that it's anyone's guess but the charts show showers / snow everywhere! 

GFSOPUK06_39_43.png

GFSOPUK06_48_43.png

GFSOPUK06_54_43.png

GFSOPUK06_69_43.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days

I fully expect further updates tomorrow if not later today.. The luckiest who have the most frequent showers will be buried by the end of next week with no let up in sight and freezing temperatures even during the day accumulations could get insane.. 

keep safe all and keep in mind those vulnerable people around you it’s really happening for once!  :cold::D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Strong winds will lead to drifting of snow, and lightning could be an additional hazard, particularly near North Sea, Irish Sea and English Channel coasts. By the end of Wednesday, more than 20 cm may have accumulated in places in some eastern counties of England, Scotland and Norther Ireland from a culmination of Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday's snow showers

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all, 

correct me if I'm wrong but why have the met office updated the yellow warnings to cover more days/ areas? Are they playing safe or do they know something we don't! Just went in the mad thread and it's now a damp squib with rain for most. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Tinker Bell said:

Morning all, 

correct me if I'm wrong but why have the met office updated the yellow warnings to cover more days/ areas? Are they playing safe or do they know something we don't! Just went in the mad thread and it's now a damp squib with rain for most. 

some of them like to scare monger! and not regular posters, sure they do for a wind up! 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Tinker Bell said:

Morning all, 

It's mainly highlighting the potential for how bad the showers could get in the warning areas. Yorkshire in the firing line especially East of high ground. 

ECM shows deep cold staying after next weekend so nothing is certain yet on that low pressure.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, LeeSnowFan said:

some of them like to scare monger! and not regular posters, sure they do for a wind up! 

Thanks for that I thought it was all over. Just confuses the hell out of me, every site tells you something different literally no two are the same ! 

Posted

Thomas S just posted this on twitter 

These two weather maps of Europe are interesting - it shows if it might snow. However, it’s not an actual forecast for snow falling from the sky...it kinda says “if clouds come your way, will it be rain or snow?” If it’s red 90-100%, it’ll be snow! Clouds ARE coming...

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 10.45.18.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 10.45.38.png

• Like 1

Posted

Looking forward to this from County Durham. 128m above sea level here so pretty high too.  Hopefully the NE region gets buried!

(hope this is the right regional....cant see the NE discussion thread around anymore)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer
18 minutes ago, Tinker Bell said:

Morning all, 

Basically we've listened to days on end of the worst blizzard for the south in a century. Now the GFS has had a couple of runs that show milder air pushing in they are all throwing all sorts of tantrums, because it's about time and they deserve it etc etc. In reality even if GFS does verify like the 6z we still stay cold. But remember we don't exist because we are in the north.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Good god give me strength. Can’t believe what I was reading in the mod threat. Just because some milder air shows up for the south later next week this cold spell is over. Anyway guys and girls still looking good for our region next week with heavy snow showers moving well in land and deep penetrating frosts. :cold:

• Like 2

Posted

The mod thread is an absolute pathetic thread at times. Kids acting spoilt. All they ever harp on about is the south in there which then takes any attention away from anywhere else. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
2 minutes ago, richardc1983 said:

The mod thread is an absolute pathetic thread at times. Kids acting spoilt. All they ever harp on about is the south in there which then takes any attention away from anywhere else. 

It's certainly pretty ratty in there this morning.  Not an issue for us anywhere in the patch, in fact if that 6z run verifies, it might make Friday a blizzard for some parts of the region - easterlies gusting to 30-35 mph and snow all day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

We could see a bit of snow crossing our region as early as the early hours of Monday morning looking at these fax charts with a cold front pushing from East to West?

PPVI89.thumb.gif.1bd31d20598abd1b5d188ae881af0cf2.gif.2daec93097c7f5ec9150ab83692099c1.gifPPVJ89.thumb.gif.71ba34058afd135567a36c960d4a63ad.gif.532d687cbdf2e4e878eff5c898248281.gif

Agreed regarding the mod thread.  I have never understood why people start stressing about a breakdown many days away when we have so much to look forward to before then!  :cold:

Posted
12 minutes ago, richardc1983 said:

The mods need to shove half this mornings posts into the regionals.. Most of the posts are regarding the south! 

Well said rich and still game on for us in the north 

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
52 minutes ago, Decemberof2010 said:

Basically we've listened to days on end of the worst blizzard for the south in a century. Now the GFS has had a couple of runs that show milder air pushing in they are all throwing all sorts of tantrums, because it's about time and they deserve it etc etc. In reality even if GFS does verify like the 6z we still stay cold. But remember we don't exist because we are in the north.

Exactly. The Mod thread for times when the south might get snow is almost best ignored, as its very 'schizophrenic' and unreadable if you don't know the particular commenter's.

If anything the GFS output is slightly better for the North, shorter term as would mean massive snowfalls later next week.

Edited by cowdog

Posted

Interesting Paul Hudson on the Radio Thursday  said mild air from Friday from the south will bring a battle ground scenario for snow.

Maybe he was already onto something.

Edited by Love Snow

Posted

At what range should we be able to view streamers pushing in ? Are we expecting the showers Monday evening? Thanks in advance. 

I find the faxes and charts somewhat confusing as I'm only learning. For anyone that hasn't viewed Jo farrows post about the lake effect it's certainly worth a read and very informative 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!
4 hours ago, Decemberof2010 said:

That's good to hear. As looking in the mod thread for the last 2 days i thought it was only going to snow down south. Unbelievable imbyism in there. 

What a wonderful profile picture you have :friends: