Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
23 minutes ago, Aiden2012 said:

So does anybody know how Bridlington normally fairs with snow with an easterly ?

Always misses out with warm sunshine instead. :D

Should do fine even right on coast, it does usually get marginal with a sleety mix right on coast.

Posted

https://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/worst-winter-weather-30-years-14330204

Thoughts of local Huddersfield forecaster. Not sure if he is on this forum or elsewhere?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow
4 minutes ago, Bradowl said:

Always misses out with warm sunshine instead. :D

Should do fine even right on coast, it does usually get marginal with a sleety mix right on coast.

??? I hope not ??

Posted
3 minutes ago, joggs said:

Let's get this right.All of our region at some point will see some snow this week.

Shower will become heavier and prolonged at times and blow right up to the peninnes.Obviously the east of the region been worst affected.

It's all about radar watching and also things will develop in the unstable airtream.

I'm here in West York's and I'm defo saying a few inches at my alt and up to 4+ " on higher ground around here.In the east could be between 6-9" imo in favoured spots.

Most areas should see some but sometimes in this situation showers can come in lines, so some areas will see shower after shower producing a deluge of snow whilst 20 miles down road they might just see occasional showers giving just an inch or two. 

Radar watching from Sunday for me. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

I'm liking the update from Knocker in the Short Range thread.  He identified a feature around Norway a few days ago that will bring more persistent snow on Tuesday.  He said at the time that he thought the feature would move South West through England. His latest update regarding the track is as follows:

According to the ecm, and I would want this confirmed by the METO, the NE coast through the north midlands to south Wales.

Based on that I'd say Yorkshire is in the direct firing line! ??

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...
45 minutes ago, snow*please said:

ok so i am staying out of the MOD thread and staying in here, sick of reading about the south now, you would think no where up here even existed ? 

Yep, I hear ya. Anything north of Leicester Forest is unchartered terratories as far as the Mod thread is concerned! ???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Anyone able to shed some light on how I may fare over in Sheffield please?  I'm pretty poor when it comes to predicting how far snow showers may penetrate inland, and this is the first full blown easterly I'll have experienced in this neck of the woods! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

One thing ive noticed since MeteoGroup took over BBC weather is that they are consistantly predicting higher temps than the METO. BBC shows 2c most of next week for my area but METO website shows -1 most days!!

More inclined to say METO is right looking at the uppers and flow direction. A lot of experts in the model thread also think ice days.....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
23 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

One thing ive noticed since MeteoGroup took over BBC weather is that they are consistantly predicting higher temps than the METO. BBC shows 2c most of next week for my area but METO website shows -1 most days!!

More inclined to say METO is right looking at the uppers and flow direction. A lot of experts in the model thread also think ice days.....

BBC temps have trended down over the past few days, I expect them to continue to do so. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, weatherguy said:

Anyone able to shed some light on how I may fare over in Sheffield please?  I'm pretty poor when it comes to predicting how far snow showers may penetrate inland, and this is the first full blown easterly I'll have experienced in this neck of the woods! 

Difficult to say with regards to any streamer activity - we just have to be lucky and in the right line for them. Historically we have done well in these setups and I expect next week be no different with showers making their way well inland. Being on the east side of the Pennines is a good thing in this setup :)

Keep checking this thread as many of us will share hi-res precip forecasts and radar images as we get closer...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't expect coastal fringes to have a problem seeing falling and lying snow come Tuesday/Wednesday, given the intensity of the cold air mass that's coming our way.  In late November/early December 2010 we were getting accumulations of snow to the sea front with 850hPa temps a few degrees warmer and the North Sea at least a couple of degrees warmer than it is now.

I expect that overnight Tuesday/Wednesday we'll be looking at temperatures between -2 and -4C inland, and near the coast they'll probably be holding up close to freezing in clear intervals and falling to -2C in showers.

Posted

Looking forward to the next week hopefully get some decent snow, just had a message to say all meetings are cancelled next week due to expected demand, so this tells me aa are expecting to be very busy

Posted

I want GFS to keep on correcting North, that low from late next week...and throw in massive mild uppers for all of South of England only...or am I being mean ????? :spiteful: .........

Edited by Sunny_AS
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
19 minutes ago, Sunny_AS said:

I want GFS to keep on correcting North, that low from late next week...and throw in massive mild uppers for all of South of England only...or am I being mean ????? :spiteful: .........

To be honest we need the gfs to track the low south to keep us locked into the cold for longer. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, terrier said:

To be honest we need the gfs to track the low south to keep us locked into the cold for longer. 

There's a third option that @Man With Beard alludes to in the MO thread. GFS control has a full on 'cold low' meaning less or no marginality and copious amounts of snow for many. A long way to being resolved this one but fascinating all the same!

Much easier to discuss too knowing there's days of severe cold preceding it!

Posted

Fantastic prospects of snow for all next week but I do have one little worry. The gfs has shown tuesday mornings snow just skimming us and hammering north east england (durham) I really hope this doesn't happen and we get off to a good start for snowfall!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Fantastic prospects of snow for all next week but I do have one little worry. The gfs has shown tuesday mornings snow just skimming us and hammering north east england (durham) I really hope this doesn't happen and we get off to a good start for snowfall!

That could happen, but by the same token the ECM showed that same area of snow affecting most of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire and then moving towards SE Wales, so all to play for.

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, weatherguy said:

Sheffield usually does well on Easterlies, especially Eastern facing hills, no where across Yorkshire should miss out. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Harsh Climate said:

That was my thought re GFS, but ECM seems to have it further South and therefore crossing Yorkshire.  Also, interesting update from Roger J Smith in the MOD thread over night...

Gradual increase in North Sea streamer production through Monday with an episode of heavy snow moving into northeast England late Monday and spreading to central counties by Tuesday, widespread near-blizzard conditions in Midlands, Yorkshire and northeast to Wednesday, more isolated streamers in southeast but some locally heavy.

Let's hope ECM and RJS are correct! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer

That's good to hear. As looking in the mod thread for the last 2 days i thought it was only going to snow down south. Unbelievable imbyism in there. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Harsh Climate said:

Yes, it's an odd little system. Liam Dutton on twitter mentions it as an upside down low pressure system. It does look further North, the fax chart has it down in South Wales at lunch Tuesday after approaching from Newcastle area.  Drawing a line between the 2 suggests an event more for North West of the region; Skipton, Bradford, Halifax etc. 

• Like 2