Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

A quick question regarding showers that penetrate inland. Am I correct in saying that we will do well from these showers as we are on the "right" side of the Pennines???

• Like 1

Posted

Amazing update from Met office!!!!!!

UK Outlook for Wednesday 28 Feb 2018 to Friday 9 Mar 2018:

It will stay very cold as we head into March, with sunshine and snow showers. Showers are most likely across eastern and central parts of the UK where accumulations may mount up. Further west, large accumulations are still possible but much less likely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
32 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Local forecast doesn't show anything significant for us up to Thursday. IF the GFS is right we should see more major snow and less cold conditions pushing north west on Friday. Way out in lala land that and it keeps changing it's mind. So may stay very cold mostly cloudy with a few light snow showers for us but heavier the further east you go.

No point taking local forecasts as a gospel when it comes to snow, you'll have to wait until closer to the time. No way we can accurately predict where showers will fall this far out (I'm sure you know that).

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
14 minutes ago, terrier said:

Well we have a weather warning out for most of Yorkshire on Tuesday for 5-10cm. Plus with the North Sea snow making machine I think our region is primed position for heavy disruptive snow. Starting as early as Monday evening.:yahoo:

One of those warnings that conflicts with the actual forecast will have to judge it day by day. Just looking at ecm too see if it's following GFS idea of bringing a swift end to the extreme cold.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Sunny_AS said:

A quick question regarding showers that penetrate inland. Am I correct in saying that we will do well from these showers as we are on the "right" side of the Pennines???

Yes think of the rain shadow effect in reverse.

• Thanks 2

Posted

ECM doesn't follow GFS lead so much and keeps the mild rubbish well south. Long time since we had a proper cold spell.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
9 minutes ago, The PIT said:

One of those warnings that conflicts with the actual forecast will have to judge it day by day. Just looking at ecm too see if it's following GFS idea of bringing a swift end to the extreme cold.

No swift end from the ecm. Just lots of snow and ice. Then reloads with a NE incursion. :yahoo:

Posted
3 hours ago, vizzy2004 said:

Simply WOW at GFS and UKMO, strong easterly with uppers of -15c.

That's a difference of 22c between sea and upper air temperature..... huge showers moving in off the North Sea pushing well inland.

IF this happens as shown, this could be a memorable event, maybe even cold enough for our own snow starved @reefin Hedon :D

Looking forward to this, its about the best possible setup for us here. At least after 5 years of waiting for some measurable lying snow we're going to get some payback!

There could be a chance we'll get record low maximums for February and March too. Havent had a February ice day for over 10 years!

Edited by reef
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme in Winter , Cricket Weather in Summer , Golf weather all year

I'll be ready with a 4wd vehicle and rescue kit , North Lincs / South Humberside area. 

• Like 1

Posted

Wish this cloud will go then the temps would plummet again. At the moment at 0.7C and dew point -3.7C

Posted

Finally Look North mentions he possibility of severe snow with disruption whereas previously it was "mainly dry with odd flurries".

Really not been impressed with their service since the change.

It does look good for the whole region. Will be happy with a few cms, enough to sledge, but hoping for bucket loads!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
Just now, BA Baracus said:

Finally Look North mentions he possibility of severe snow with disruption whereas previously it was "mainly dry with odd flurries".

Really not been impressed with their service since the change.

It does look good for the whole region. Will be happy with a few cms, enough to sledge, but hoping for bucket loads!

Look North have often been like that, especially with Paul Hudson . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

So does anybody know how Bridlington normally fairs with snow with an easterly ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

ok so i am staying out of the MOD thread and staying in here, sick of reading about the south now, you would think no where up here even existed ? 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

Look North have often been like that, especially with Paul Hudson . 

I can't work out if he is a coldie or not, or if he is just reined in by management.  Another BBC presenter, Chris Fawkes is definitely a coldie judging by his tweet quoted in one of other regional forums! Something along the lines of theMet Office warning of 10cm is only the start.... indicating they expect much more but can't publish at this early stage.

Posted

Hi guys, just popping over from the NE regional thread. Reckon both of our regions are going to do very well next week particularly those of us on the Eastern side of the country. Precipitation charts look very promising and they don’t even take into account convection!

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, Snowmaggedon said:

Hi guys, just popping over from the NE regional thread. Reckon both of our regions are going to do very well next week particularly those of us on the Eastern side of the country. Precipitation charts look very promising and they don’t even take into account convection!

Welcome Sir!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Welcome fellow northerner ??????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
12 minutes ago, snow*please said:

ok so i am staying out of the MOD thread and staying in here, sick of reading about the south now, you would think no where up here even existed ? 

Bloody Southerners!  :rofl:

Lake effect snow looks very likely next week with the deep cold and unstable flow across the North Sea.

I can only see the accumulations piling up as we go through the week.  I remain happy with my 40-50cms prediction by the end of Friday.  Could be less could be more but the one thing I am looking forward to experiencing is the extreme windchill!

During heavier periods of snow it should be horizontal with huge drifts in some areas and hardly any in others where the snow literally gets blown away!

The temperature also looks extreme for the time of year with many ice days likely after Monday.  Simply amazing!  :D

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
17 minutes ago, BA Baracus said:

I can't work out if he is a coldie or not, or if he is just reined in by management.  Another BBC presenter, Chris Fawkes is definitely a coldie judging by his tweet quoted in one of other regional forums! Something along the lines of theMet Office warning of 10cm is only the start.... indicating they expect much more but can't publish at this early stage.

Paul H is most definitely a coldie reined in...have you never read the books he co-wrote with that other well known coldie Ian McCaskill.... The clue is in the book titles 'Frozen in Time' and 'Frozen Britain'. ?

Edited by SouthYorks

Posted

I think this is from latest ecm from Icelandic met office. You can see Tuesdays feature affecting most of Yorkshire as it moves SW. Could change but hopefully the first of many such features!

180223_1200_90.png

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

Paul H is most definitely a coldie reigned in...have you never read the books he co-wrote with that other well known coldie Ian McCaskill.... The clue is in the book titles 'Frozen in Time' and 'Frozen Britain'. ?

I actually have that book but his latest lack of enthusiasm and apparent mockery of coldie Harry Gration for getting giddy over snow has made me wonder which side of fence he sits on nowadays.

• Like 2

Posted

Let's get this right.All of our region at some point will see some snow this week.

Shower will become heavier and prolonged at times and blow right up to the peninnes.Obviously the east of the region been worst affected.

It's all about radar watching and also things will develop in the unstable airtream.

I'm here in West York's and I'm defo saying a few inches at my alt and up to 4+ " on higher ground around here.In the east could be between 6-9" imo in favoured spots.

• Like 1