Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

not been on in aaages as i thought we were done for this winter lol

I love snow and cold but why could it have not come in december/early january, was starting to look forward to warmer longer days haha. 

well if its going to come now it better be worth it, no half as sing it ? 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Charts just keep giving and giving!!! we really are in for a treat next week!!

snow day oprah.jpg

It would appear that way! 

The beast from the east is on its way, let's hope we don't have any down grades

they keep saying in the mad thread it's a nation wide event but to watch the east coast. Probably blow over my head and hit West/ south Yorkshire lol 

Not sure how the Humber/ East Yorkshire will do. Are we too near the coast for any significant accumulations? I guess it's too early to tell........but I will be watching on here for those in the know to advise me if I should get my snow shovel off the garage rafters 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Were you still in Leeds in 1987? All I can find online about January 1987 is how much snow fell in Kent and Essex but I can never find anything for this part of the world.

I was in Leeds, was 7 at the time. I remember the snow back then. School was closed so my mum dragged me with her, visiting a friend near John Smeaton Sports Centre. Another memory which stands out was the noise and crashes of the snow sliding off the roof along with the guttering. Said guttering giving me a fright the next morning, hanging infront of the window!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
42 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Charts just keep giving and giving!!! we really are in for a treat next week!!

Yep, on latest output there is either heavy frequent showers or prolonged snowfall for the whole of next week from Tuesday onwards, with a full on major snowstorm currently showing for next weekend. Obviously still a long way out so quite likely to change, but if that scenario plays out some parts of our region will be buried, it could actually be quite serious.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
1 minute ago, Pennine Ten Foot Drifts said:

Yep, on latest output there is either heavy frequent showers or prolonged snowfall for the whole of next week from Tuesday onwards, with a full on major snowstorm currently showing for next weekend. Obviously still a long way out so quite likely to change, but if that scenario plays out some parts of our region will be buried, it could actually be quite serious.

I am getting worried about the severity of this to be honest looking at the present model outputs!  Army on standby and Cobra meetings anyone?!

One thing is for sure you will have to change your username to Pennine Twenty Foot Drifts!  :rofl:

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Kentish Snowman said:

I am getting worried about the severity of this to be honest looking at the present model outputs!  Army on standby and Cobra meetings anyone?!

One thing is for sure you will have to change your username to Pennine Twenty Foot Drifts!  :rofl:

Aye, as my sig suggests, deepest snow I've seen in the 'internet age' is 37 cms level snow in 2010, although the drifts were bigger in 2013, but that was when I lived up on top of a Pennine hill, now down in Huddersfield, so will be interesting to see how such conditions impact an urban area.

Mind you I was a young lad in mid-Wales in the '81/'82 winter, our village was cut off for 5 days, that's the most severe snowstorm I've ever personally witnessed, it'll take something extraordinary to beat that I think...........

Posted

Some more photos from Feb 1991. Awesome snow event as an 11 year old. Really hope the kids today can experience the joy that brought.

img015.thumb.jpg.742fb5a3f3531f1f8dccac225d87319b.jpg.img018.thumb.jpg.69327a50f1b86bcfc36824b59ef3dc76.jpg

Edited by Stelmer
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Indeed, severe snow will make my job very difficult and probably impossible.

Recently started driving HGVS, delivering around the Manchester, Glossop and Stocksbridge and have to drive over Woodhead pass every morning.

Didn't expect todays model upgrades, however we should remain grounded as there are still time for downgrades.

• Like 1

Posted

I work in car parking. Not looking to be stood outside fixing barriers or pay machines next week. However, the kid in me will be enjoying it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
33 minutes ago, Tinker Bell said:

It would appear that way! 

The beast from the east is on its way, let's hope we don't have any down grades

they keep saying in the mad thread it's a nation wide event but to watch the east coast. Probably blow over my head and hit West/ south Yorkshire lol 

Not sure how the Humber/ East Yorkshire will do. Are we too near the coast for any significant accumulations? I guess it's too early to tell........but I will be watching on here for those in the know to advise me if I should get my snow shovel off the garage rafters 

Coast or not you should receive snow with these runs the cold is that intense.. :cold:

Posted
1 minute ago, vizzy2004 said:

Didn't expect todays model upgrades, however we should remain grounded as there are still time for downgrades.

Agreed, I'll be very surprised if the depression modeled for next weekend stays like that, looks a prime candidate for the dreaded 'southward corrections' evolution to me

Posted

Absolutely buzzing upgrades after upgrade on the cold Charts.

Could this be the big one we have waited so long for ?

• Like 1

Posted

Best UKMO 12Z I have seen for Yorkshire! This would rival the big easterly of February 1991!

UW144-21.thumb.gif.56aa3a7ae198acfaddaa83cef6d98609.gif

UW144-7.thumb.gif.0cf87c05f19e92fea7c84fa4cec9f1bb.gif

• Like 2

Posted

Hard not to get caught up in the excitement hopefully will see an true beast from the east can't wait to see the north sea snow machine in full effect being an while. Nice to not have to hear the word marginal for low lying areas or sleet and rain near the coast. So some archive newspapers about Feb 91 and the max in Bridlington on one of them days  was -5  trurly amazing to think that now was just to young to remember that spell not expecting anything has cold as that but to get some ice days and 5 to 7 days of lying snow will do me. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Stelmer said:

Some more photos from Feb 1991. Awesome snow event as an 11 year old. Really hope the kids today can experience the joy that brought.

img015.thumb.jpg.742fb5a3f3531f1f8dccac225d87319b.jpg.img018.thumb.jpg.69327a50f1b86bcfc36824b59ef3dc76.jpg

Nice - never knew Feb 1991 was so snowy here. I was only 3 at the time (and I'm sure I loved it though!).

Edited by cheese

Posted

Feb 1991 when your street had to be ploughed! Getting a photo with it ?

5a8f157ed64b1_TerryScan35.thumb.jpg.0c41e1c0de073ce711d83537004c8f0a.jpg

5a8f15e464d11_TerryScan32.thumb.jpg.142db00f214bca3113da03828c0c0892.jpg

Edited by Craigers
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Guys this looks more remarkeable than march 2013 for 2010 for yorkshire! These are the most bestest ways of getting impactual snow! March 2013 brought drifts of several feet easy and deepest snow ive ever seen and im 25!! God knows what we will get if next weeks models verify,there even snowiwer than 2013!

Anyone else from west yorks have great snowfall  totals and drifts?

I wasnt born till 1992, what was feb 91 like for snow? Which was worse feb 91 or march 2013 for snow and drifts. Any opinions and stories would be great to here and discuss. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer

I was 14 in 91 and it was amazing. However I always think back to the Jan 95 event. Here in Leeds it started as very heavy rain. Around 5pm it turned to heavy snow and by 8.30pm (yes 3 hours) we had 40 centimetres!!!!!!

I get very angry when people say "yes but it won't lay it's too wet". This event always springs to mind

Posted
4 minutes ago, Decemberof2010 said:

I was 14 in 91 and it was amazing. However I always think back to the Jan 95 event. Here in Leeds it started as very heavy rain. Around 5pm it turned to heavy snow and by 8.30pm (yes 3 hours) we had 40 centimetres!!!!!!

I get very angry when people say "yes but it won't lay it's too wet". This event always springs to mind

Same. I remember 1995 well and it always springs to mind when someone says it won't lay, it's too wet....