Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

I know it will change but the beeb weather showed our area the best for snow early next week on their graphics at 10:35.

Posted

Can confirm the above. Starting to show the heavy stuff now.

Screenshot_20180221-230355.thumb.png.cd2c7889464ad1afbfc03d97f91755cd.png

Screenshot_20180221-230112.thumb.png.ab97fa8a883fe65178a6e7b84f0da5de.png

Edited by Craigers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
19 minutes ago, joggs said:

I know it will change but the beeb weather showed our area the best for snow early next week on their graphics at 10:35.

I noticed that too.  We are looking in a prime position at the moment!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme in Winter , Cricket Weather in Summer , Golf weather all year

Seeing as how I've got 4.5 acres of cricket ground to manage looks like I'll be able to roll a huuuuuuuge snow ball :)

Posted
1 hour ago, richardc1983 said:

Snow doesnt look that good on here the snow kind of goes around us. Look at the snow for Scotland though omg.

http://www.null.co.uk/uk-snow-charts-7-day/

I'd ignore that mate. It's underplaying convection alot for Tuesday and Wednesday on those charts. Snow can upgrade 24hrs out with features like that. Pretty much whole of Yorkshire is in firing line if UKMO 0z happens.

Great trends this morning!

received_10155276218581592.thumb.gif.8291ec83bec8ce6855d3c200e3b32c06.gif

• Like 3

Posted

Yes if the weather pattern plays out like the UKMO or ECM runs for next week (or most of the runs tbh) then I am fully expecting some dangerous conditions.

Very strong Easterly winds with severe windchill, heavy drifting snow with whiteout conditions at times, thundersnow the lot!

The further East you are the better (or worse) the conditions will be but I can see many rural communities being cut off especially over high ground.

Let's just hope that if the outlook remains the same into the weekend that the warnings start to ramp up as this really does look like quite a notable and severe spell of weather coming up.  The fact that it's occurring into the early part of March means alot of people may be taken off guard and are too complacent.

That aside sure does look fun!  :cold:

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Yes if the weather pattern plays out like the UKMO or ECM runs for next week (or most of the runs tbh) then I am fully expecting some dangerous conditions.

Very strong Easterly winds with severe windchill, heavy drifting snow with whiteout conditions at times, thundersnow the lot!

The further East you are the better (or worse) the conditions will be but I can see many rural communities being cut off especially over high ground.

Let's just hope that if the outlook remains the same into the weekend that the warnings start to ramp up as this really does look like quite a notable and severe spell of weather coming up.  The fact that it's occurring into the early part of March means alot of people may be taken off guard and are too complacent.

Reckon they’ll make it as far as Cleckhuddersfax?

Posted

I think pretty much all our region is going to be well affected,obviously the further east,the better .......or worse lol.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Snowday said:

Reckon they’ll make it as far as Cleckhuddersfax?

To be honest the entire region is at risk from disruptive snow so there is a very real risk of snow piling up in Pennine areas.  I am sure such areas did well in 2010 and 2013?

Edit - it is interesting that the Meto update for our region is now highlighting the risk of snow showers from Sunday afternoon onwards.  Little more than 72 hours away.

It's coming!

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

We are quite close to the east lol :p I know in 2010 I measured 2 foot of snow on my street! and I still look back at pictures dreaming of a repeat and it seems that dream may become a reality next week! still not getting too excited until I see a amber or red warning lol 

Posted

With most of us working,it would be cool if peeps could keep giving updates on what tv regional forecasts keep showing as we move to and through the cold spell.

I'll  be doing the same when home and very early mornings.

We're in this together lol.

Cheers.

Edited by joggs
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, richardc1983 said:

So even though where I am in Leeds is about 140m above sea level we should do well?

Altitude is not going to make much difference next week except for the depth of snow.  140m to me is high ground anyway.

Let's put it this way I am at 75m and I would not be surprised to see 40-50cms in my area by the end of next week so you should fair better than that.

Obviously things may change but based on the models as they stand that is a realistic prospect.  :)

• Like 1

Posted

What days are looking like being a risk? I'm meant to be popping away for a couple of nights next Friday / Saturday but must admit I'm concerned from what I'm seeing WRT to snow

Posted

Also, how much of a factor does sun come in to play at this time of the year? Could there be a lot of melt come Friday midday say if it snowed Thursday?

Posted
29 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Altitude is not going to make much difference next week except for the depth of snow.  140m to me is high ground anyway.

Let's put it this way I am at 75m and I would not be surprised to see 40-50cms in my area by the end of next week so you should fair better than that.

Obviously things may change but based on the models as they stand that is a realistic prospect.  :)

and I am not far from wombwell so I'll take 45-50cm! :)  I go to the gym 3 times   a week lol so need to get there! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
25 minutes ago, smhouston said:

Also, how much of a factor does sun come in to play at this time of the year? Could there be a lot of melt come Friday midday say if it snowed Thursday?

Sun will always melt snow. However if the runs continue on the same path the day time temperatures will struggle to get above 0c so creates another hazard in the form of ice and compact snow. Think icicles and how they form. Slight melting from a heat source like the sun or heat from your house melting in subzero temperatures. Cut a long story short the melting will be minimal and what does will create further problems. The councils will truly have there work cut out trying to keep major roads open potentially very difficult conditions ahead if the heavy snow and cold comes together. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Yorkshirepudding said:

Sun will always melt snow. However if the runs continue on the same path the day time temperatures will struggle to get above 0c so creates another hazard in the form of ice and compact snow. Think icicles and how they form. Slight melting from a heat source like the sun or heat from your house melting in subzero temperatures. Cut a long story short the melting will be minimal and what does will create further problems. The councils will truly have there work cut out trying to keep major roads open potentially very difficult conditions ahead if the heavy snow and cold comes together. 

With the record of Sheffield City Council, they've got no chance! :nonono: 

• Like 1

Posted

"Imagine if there was to be a humongous flip in the next 48 hrs or so lol.

I think it would be the biggest epic fail of all time."

Joggs. You are one funny chap!!! :D

Edited by Sunny_AS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I'm looking forward to tonight's 18z and the charts from tomorrow on, before getting too excited. However, we usually do well from an easterly.

In 1987 i had over a foot, 1991 over a foot, the freak jan 1995 thing and 10" in 2010.

To say that i've been wanting to experience the sight and feeling of opening the curtains and seeing a thick blanket of snow again, is an understatement. Hoping I beat the foot mark for the first time since Jan 1995.

• Like 1

Posted

I'd be happy with 2-3 inches, just enough to take kids sledging. We haven't had decent snowfalls round here since March 2013 when we had all the huge drifts.

The forecast looks promising, particularly further east. Fingers crossed for next week!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Stelmer said:

I'm looking forward to tonight's 18z and the charts from tomorrow on, before getting too excited. However, we usually do well from an easterly.

In 1987 i had over a foot, 1991 over a foot, the freak jan 1995 thing and 10" in 2010.

To say that i've been wanting to experience the sight and feeling of opening the curtains and seeing a thick blanket of snow again, is an understatement. Hoping I beat the foot mark for the first time since Jan 1995.

Were you still in Leeds in 1987? All I can find online about January 1987 is how much snow fell in Kent and Essex but I can never find anything for this part of the world.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1