Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Things are getting exceptionally exciting from Sunday onwards. For many a day it   is a long fetch pretty much straight easterly. Every so often you get a wiggle in the isobars that will enhance showers and result in potentially highly disruptive snow.

We've had the occasional easterly before but it’s only been a direct hit for about 24hrs before turning NEly or SEly.....this is what makes this different as it’s just goes on. In cases like this my experience suggests that Yorkshire is often in the sweet spot.

My home city of Sheffield, Barnsley, Leeds and along the eastern side of high ground is often clobbered by this scenario. We may get that OmG moment when we draw the curtains in morning after morning!

I’ve just done, that’s my ramp, I really held it in for ages but it’s out and I’m relieved! Now breath. Lol 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, farmans said:

Things are getting exceptionally exciting from Sunday onwards. For many a day it   is a long fetch pretty much straight easterly. Every so often you get a wiggle in the isobars that will enhance showers and result in potentially highly disruptive snow.

We've had the occasional easterly before but it’s only been a direct hit for about 24hrs before turning NEly or SEly.....this is what makes this different as it’s just goes on. In cases like this my experience suggests that Yorkshire is often in the sweet spot.

My home city of Sheffield, Barnsley, Leeds and along the eastern side of high ground is often clobbered by this scenario. We may get that OmG moment when we draw the curtains in morning after morning!

I’ve just done, that’s my ramp, I really held it in for ages but it’s out and I’m relieved! Now breath. Lol 

Oh I hope your right! :) this winter has been pretty poor  even though we have had a couple of snow days! people are saying this could be better than 2010! which makes me excited but also have to stay grounded as don't want to be let down so until we have a red warning in place then I'll be happy with 7-9 inches of snow lol :p 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Oh I hope your right! :) this winter has been pretty poor  even though we have had a couple of snow days! people are saying this could be better than 2010! which makes me excited but also have to stay grounded as don't want to be let down so until we have a red warning in place then I'll be happy with 7-9 inches of snow lol :p 

How cool would a red warning be!!! ?

We had one over Sheffield in 2013 I think but it wasn’t as bad as forecast, they suggested potentially 60cm over eastern high ground but we still had 20cm .... which is still cool.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
2 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Yeah some of those charts for early next week remind me of that amazing spell late November early December 2010.

I'm not greedy in terms of snow but if we could top the 14 inches we had then I would be fairly happy.  :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Yeah some of those charts for early next week remind me of that amazing spell late November early December 2010.

I'm not greedy in terms of snow but if we could top the 14 inches we had then I would be fairly happy.  :rofl:

lol now that would be epic!!! but I all the posts ive read in the model thread all say foot plus but then they are all ffrom people in the south! so very much IMBY people! but hey it seems were gonna get hit from the east and then a thames streamer straight into yorkshire then more from the north/north east? I won't complain! and it's set to be 10+ days of cold so least its not gonna melt straight away would be nice to enjoy it for a few days! :) hopefully by saturday we can firm up on details and be very sure what is coming  our way 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, lightning, wind, frost, any extreme

This spell looks amazing! just looked at the forecast on here and for hull is says showers from sunday all the way through till next thursday i think it was. All i want is enough to build a snow man with my son whos nine as never seen proper snow. last time we had anything worth mentioning was 2010 and he was to young to remember that. 

• Like 3

Posted

Well,i dont give a shiny one.

Full ramp mode for me now.

It's going to be epic.

Great meto update.

Edited by joggs
  • Like 5

Posted

yay!!!!

(except it might mean walking to work and I've just pulled a calf muscle, ouch).  One teensy bit of snow on our (steep, dead end) road and nothing with 4 wheels moves for a fortnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and crisp..

Here’s hoping we all get a decent covering, few days off work would be great 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
5 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

@Frosty. whats your thoughts on yorkshire doing well outta this cold next week?

Really very well if the models stay in their current trend, the North sea will turn into a snow making machine and with a strengthening easterly flow the snow showers would be driven well inland with drifting / disruption..I expect yellow and red warnings next week.:)

Unless BBC weather are right in which case it will be dry with sunny spells!..completely different to the met office latest update..unbelievable!! To me it looks like an unstable easterly which is also what the models are showing.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Frosty. said:

Really very well if the models stay in their current trend, the North sea will turn into a snow making machine and with a strengthening easterly flow the snow showers would be driven well inland with drifting / disruption..I expect yellow and red warnings next week.:)

A RED warning would be a dream in yorkshire!!!! bring on the snow!!!! :) 

BBC videoforecast an hour ago said next week fine, dry and sunny! honestly there useless!! 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

BBC videoforecast an hour ago said next week fine, dry and sunny! honestly there useless!! 

Yeah they're crap, especially now they have dumped the met office.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny_AS said:

Nice to have Frosty contribute to our regional thread. In fact I reckon we've got a decent bunch of knowledgeable people in our region!

I remember when I joined this forum in 2010 I used to message frosty and ask him alot about yorkshire lol still got the messages! :) 2010 was the best and its looking highly likely some of us will see a repeat!! :) 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, sausage said:

meto os brill. but can someome just define what part of the country were classed as. they dont mke it very clear. are we central or eastern in there minds? or northern :( ?

Central northern England and being east of the pennines is great for a hopefully snowy easterly!:D

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, joggs said:

Well,i dont give a shiny one.

Full ramp mode for me now.

It's going to be epic.

Great meto update.

Fully agree, I have never seen such an incredible met office update..maybe 8 years ago but you get my point..fingers crossed :cold:

Posted
7 hours ago, farmans said:

I remember going to bed in Feb 1991 (aged 13) and it was snowing a bit, and in the morning waking up for school. I was living in Bradford at the time. It was 8.30am and my Mum and Dad normally woke me at 7.30am. I wondered by they hadn't woken me, and I drew the curtains............ sharp intake of breath! A true OMG moment that I will remember til the day I die!

• Like 1

Posted

Be AWARE the mod thread has gone nuts!!! 

The toy throwing and temper tantrums have started

To be honest we have heard it all before, but so confusing for those like me, who are still attempting to learn!

will it won't it, that is the question......but why oh why is it always snow related? Do we have a hissy fit if it's 20c or 30c, NO we just get on with it.....

I joined this forum in 2010 during an epic snow event, was it fun... hell yes. Will it be cold next week, yes. Will it snow, probably somewhere. Will we all be back next winter, yes for sure because the regional threads are friendly and I enjoy gaining knowledge off the more experienced members. 

Whatever does or doesn't fall out of the sky next week, enjoy the charts and enjoy learning...but remember it's just the weather 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Seems to have quietened down on there now. Dunno what they found wrong. Got our first little snow symbol for end of Monday. It's still outside the reliable time frame annoyingly the early push much weakened. From comments earlier in the week the setup should provide plenty of snow showers. We shall see.