Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

feel a bit of a fraud sitting here at work in my snow boots but our street was still covered in snow and ice and never gets gritted. Get down to Hunters Bar though and it's totally clear grrrr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

In the sweet spot today, with heavy snow all morning so far. Fields white all around and only the temperature creeping above freezing spoiling the fun!

Note to those wrist slitters from the south in the mod thread - do what I did and move north, the property's cheaper and the weather snowier!

Posted
59 minutes ago, ukpaul said:

In the sweet spot today, with heavy snow all morning so far. Fields white all around and only the temperature creeping above freezing spoiling the fun!

Note to those wrist slitters from the south in the mod thread - do what I did and move north, the property's cheaper and the weather snowier!

cant fault you - your neighbouring Hebden Bridge is one of my favourite places :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Usual case here this morning, here east of Rotherham, got up to nothing but drove a few miles to other side of town on way to work and there's a covering of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Thoughts on tomorrow anyone?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Paul Hudson having none of it in his daily radio Sheffield chat and BBC and met office graphics all showing just rain.

Oooooo I can feel fail number 8 coming on as I type! :help:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
47 minutes ago, Snowday said:

Going to be tricky and we could do with the warm sector mixing out more quickly. GFS has the air temps a little bit too high. High areas in the peak district should see Snow from the off. Now whether this gets down to lower levels will depend on how much precipitation there is. Heavy enough and it should cool the atmosphere allowing the snow to reach ever lower levels. Cold air also digs in some the chances of more widespread increases as time as the day goes on. However if the rain is light Snow is likely to be confined to the highest ground.

Well the snow lasted a while here but once again failed to last the day.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
3 hours ago, Snowday said:

The dew points are marginal and remaining above freezing for a lot of the time and that’s the most likely reason for any lack of concern from the forecasts. If they play ball, even then, If you look closely there are embedded features in the flow with higher uppers making it very hit and miss, even in heavy precipitation.  Could all change last minute with a slightly different setup emerging, keep an eye on the dew points (they have to be below zero for any snow to fall).

Had some epic horizontal blizzard conditions here yesterday, by the way, although it only started settling after sundown.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain RAIN here from around 7.30am.

Dull as ditch water...

Posted

fuzzy grey skies and drizzle in central Sheffield. Where's that snow - my snow boots are in a box under the desk all ready and waiting...

Posted

Yup

Here we go folks - fail number EIGHT :nonono: 

Affirmative!

Edited by Winter Cold

Posted

How can something be a fail when it wasn't supposed to happen anyway? The forecasts were very clear that this was a rain event with maybe a little bit of back edge snow.

Posted

Back edge snow for five minutes or so, bit of a wintry mix though. Now for the stratospheric warming and, hopefully, more fun and games!

Posted

Need to hope the SSW works for us and it's looking promising at the moment.. We shall see, last chance saloon anyway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
1 hour ago, Winter Cold said:

Need to hope the SSW works for us and it's looking promising at the moment.. We shall see, last chance saloon anyway

Looking like it will bring spring like conditions at first before a brief cold snap at the end of the month.

Main problem today was that the rain was too light so no evapourative cooling available. I did wonder when I saw a gap in the front heading this way. This only filled in with light rain so luck wasn't on our side. So yes a fail and still not a day with full snow cover.

• Like 1

Posted

So (sorry still trying to get my head around ssw) is thereany sign yet of one or does it only become apparent ten days after it appears?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
29 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Looking like it will bring spring like conditions at first before a brief cold snap at the end of the month.

Main problem today was that the rain was too light so no evapourative cooling available. I did wonder when I saw a gap in the front heading this way. This only filled in with light rain so luck wasn't on our side. So yes a fail and still not a day with full snow cover.

I don't think we can write it off as a brief cold snap at this stage!

***RAMP ALERT***

I am fully expecting some deep cold to land on our shores at some point between 22-25 February and which will last between 2-4 weeks with at least two or three major snow events to boot for our region.

There.....colours fully nailed to the mast for all to see!  

Shoot me down if I am wrong but I think our pitiful Winter to date (yet another miserable cold and wet day today!) is about to be blown out of the water as I am more confident about this cold spell than I have been at any point since 2013 due to the record SSW that is now in full swing above our heads.....:cold:

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Kentish Snowman said:

I don't think we can write it off as a brief cold snap at this stage!

***RAMP ALERT***

I am fully expecting some deep cold to land on our shores at some point between 22-25 February and which will last between 2-4 weeks with at least two or three major snow events to boot for our region.

There.....colours fully nailed to the mast for all to see!  

Shoot me down if I am wrong but I think our pitiful Winter to date (yet another miserable cold and wet day today!) is about to be blown out of the water as I am more confident about this cold spell than I have been at any point since 2013 due to the record SSW that is now in full swing above our heads.....:cold:

I really hope you are right my friend!

Every chance you could be, this huge event could propel us into another march 2013 type scenario.

Does look like temps climbing a bit first though...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Yup, snowing suprisingly.