Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
24 minutes ago, Skeggy Winter Storm said:

Yay snowing in skeggy has been for bout hour nd a half 

Is it settling? Great for the eastern side of Yorkshire and Lincs to get snow! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog
1 hour ago, Craigers said:

Is it settling? Great for the eastern side of Yorkshire and Lincs to get snow! 

Yeah settling in places bud weve actually not done bad this winter really nothing special but miles better than recent winters and if it all falls into place regarding ssw then a good old fashion north sea lake effect snow event would be cherry on top of a half decent winter cake ??????

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Beautiful day over the North Yorks Moors today following yesterdays snow and overnight temps down to -5.  Pictures of Fylingdales Moor and Goathland, where there was approx 3 inch of laying snow.

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny
21 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

Beautiful day over the North Yorks Moors today following yesterdays snow and overnight temps down to -5.  Pictures of Fylingdales Moor and Goathland, where there was approx 3 inch of laying snow.

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

10 minute drive from my house . Lovely pics 

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Stozzy said:

10 minute drive from my house . Lovely pics 

In which case, you are very lucky! ?  Not only do you have superb scenery, a much higher chance of snow over the moors but also The Magpie Cafe (which must be the very best place for fish and chips!) ?

Edited by SouthYorks
Typo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny
1 minute ago, SouthYorks said:

In which case, you are very lucky! ?  Not only do you have superb scenery, a much higher chance of snow over the moors but also The Magpie Cafe (which must be the very best place for fish and chips!) ?

Haha lol . If you eat In , it's lovely . However the takeaway isn't great in my opinion 

Posted
Just now, Stozzy said:

Haha lol . If you eat In , it's lovely . However the takeaway isn't great in my opinion 

Always eat in!  We come 2 or 3 times a year either staying up on the moors or coast for long weekends but always come up to Whitby for the day! ??

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, sausage said:

18z gfs has 3 big snow events over us within 144hrs however all change no doubt by morning. 

again boring in here.

To me 18z shows 3 transient and marginal potential snow events from a North Westerly.  Last few times these have shown up this winter Yorkshire has missed out, with the events being Midland or NW focussed.  This together with the fact that I'm guessing everyone is waiting for the impact of the SSW to bring something more significant is probably why it's a bit quiet in here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
1 hour ago, sausage said:

18z gfs has 3 big snow events over us within 144hrs however all change no doubt by morning. 

again boring in here.

You (us) Yorkshire folk say things as they are and don't like to go overboard when a few flakes of snow are forecast!

We may get lucky in the short term and at least have one 'event' to talk about but I think most are waiting to see how the SSW pans out as if things go our way for once then we won't need to be getting over excited about a couple of inches of transient slush!  :cold:

• Like 2

Posted

Here you go @sausage.  This sounds more interesting for tonight for our region all of a sudden?

The North West England forecast also mentions a covering in places tonight with no mention of high ground so I wonder whether the warning will be upgraded or extended later this morning?

Tonight:

Rain may become heavier for a time this evening. Turning colder and clearer later but with the risk of a spell of sleet or snow. Minimum temperature 0 °C.

Friday:

A colder day than Thursday with a strong northwesterly wind. Any sleet or snow clearing, leaving a largely bright day with the odd wintry shower. Maximum temperature 5 °C.

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 1

Posted

Despite the snow and ice warning being extended South and East of our region the text wording for tonight and tomorrow has been reduced to wintry showers which I cannot see will cause us any issues in terms of settling snow so I am fully expecting another damp squib but who knows?!

Let's hope this SSW delivers or it will be another winter of discontent (for coldies!)  :nonono:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Despite the snow and ice warning being extended South and East of our region the text wording for tonight and tomorrow has been reduced to wintry showers which I cannot see will cause us any issues in terms of settling snow so I am fully expecting another damp squib but who knows?!

Let's hope this SSW delivers or it will be another winter of discontent (for coldies!)  :nonono:

EXACTLY

they shud not put these warnings out with no issue! its just unproffesional and wrong! mkes me angry. if a kid saw that or older people n less experienced weather fanatics thy wud expect to see snow in the morning!!

Posted
2 hours ago, sausage said:

EXACTLY

they shud not put these warnings out with no issue! its just unproffesional and wrong! mkes me angry. if a kid saw that or older people n less experienced weather fanatics thy wud expect to see snow in the morning!!

Nonsense. 

The forecast is pretty clear. 

"Heavy sleet, hail and snow showers will follow". 

Clearly a wintry mixture, where does it just say snow it doesn't, accumulations reserved for 100m+ and the warning isn't just for showers it's also for ice. 

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

Nonsense. 

The forecast is pretty clear. 

"Heavy sleet, hail and snow showers will follow". 

Clearly a wintry mixture, where does it just say snow it doesn't, accumulations reserved for 100m+ and the warning isn't just for showers it's also for ice. 

I agree to a certain extent.  They do seem to whack these warnings out ten a penny these days though.

I wonder whether they are in danger of losing their effect when if we genuinely do get some winter weather worthy of such warnings people will be too complacent to take heed?

Anyway lets see what happens.  If past experience of this Winter is anything to go by though I am not expecting many areas above 100m in the warning area to receive anything too troublesome.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Let's enjoy the ride gang.We have a ticket to ride.

Screenshot_20180209-070931.png

Screenshot_20180209-071129.png

• Like 1

Posted

I am not sure about higher up but as I expected there is no evidence of any wintry weather this morning here.  Just cloudy and damp with a few puddles.  3c and a chilly wind makes it a wonderful morning!  :nonono:

Oh well our next hope (let down) is Sunday and then again Tuesday before we see whether the hype surrounding this SSW lives up to expectations and delivers some proper wintry weather.

Posted

big fat zero in south Sheffield again. thankfully all that belting rain last night didn't cause any ice problems this morning  - but what's this about a ssw you keep alluding to?  when is that due?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Joke forecast and let down number 5....TICK!!

I'll keep counting.....

Posted
8 minutes ago, Kathryn Atkin said:

big fat zero in south Sheffield again. thankfully all that belting rain last night didn't cause any ice problems this morning  - but what's this about a ssw you keep alluding to?  when is that due?

Sudden Stratospheric Warming.

In simple terms it increases the likelihood of blocking High pressure to our North and therefore increases the chances of cold Easterly or Northerly winds affecting the UK which can obviously bring snowfall at this time of year.

Let's hope so eh?!  :cold:

• Like 1

Posted

Warning now out for Sunday but judging by the wording it sounds like another non event for Yorkshire.

I think there will be another one up for Tuesday soon as well looking at the forecast.

At least the automated Meto forecast is at least predicting some falling snow this time rather than a couple of light rain showers which is what we ended up with last night and this morning!

SSW is still on track I see but will it snow in Barnsley?!  :rofl: