IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
9 hours ago, Pilgers said:

Pit, could not disagree with you more re snow types.

I live in Sheffield (top of Stannington, 230m) and before that I lived in Crookes.

This Winter alone, there must have been 5 separate days already where but for winter tyres, I simply couldn’t have got up to our house on main roads. I ventured out on one of those days in my other car which doesn’t have full winter tyres, but does have mud and snow rated tyres and plenty of clearance, and came a cropper on a hill nearbye.

In some of the snowier winters in Crookes, some of the cars were stranded on the steep residential roads for days at a time.

4CF7DB5E-3DAC-4465-B426-0A25EAEDAA79.jpeg

293B75D5-958D-4E82-A2B9-ADC598F8C76A.jpeg

I've live a little lower than you and haven't a single problem bar pot holes. Driven around on ice in the peak district while going out walking and again zero problems.  Temperature wise this year has been on the winter tyre side. But a lot of years they haven't been needed. You would have run the risk of running round with less grip than normal tyres so you need to swap them around.

Go back to the cold winters of 80's and end of the seventies definatley.  These days it's borderline whether you need them or not.

Posted

Raining or sleeting here right now to dark to tell.

Posted

Rain suddenly turned to snow here in East Morton.  Edit back to sleet. 

Edited by boyzie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Few other areas reporting snow, not expecting much here in Rotherham but hills to west should see some. 

Posted
1 hour ago, joggs said:

Raining in Bingley still.

White higher up though.  Seeing my Grandad in Haworth soon.  Hopefully he will have some.

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, winterof79 said:

Total tossers  on the model thread over last 24 hrs 

Agreed with that , it is virtually unreadable this morning too.

Rain here in East Yorkshire now but I’m more hopeful of some snow showers Sun - Wed from the North Sea with decent looking uppers

• Like 1

Posted

Nice snow on top some of the roads as Derbyshire council don't grit. Anyway nice walk in the snow and fog the light snow easing so the roads were clear on the way back. Now getting heavier again and turning to sleet lower down now .

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Nice snow on top some of the roads as Derbyshire council don't grit. Anyway nice walk in the snow and fog the light snow easing so the roads were clear on the way back. Now getting heavier again and turning to sleet lower down now .

Just plain old rain in Sheffield at the moment, however I'm visiting hillsborough so lower down.....hoping for a bit later maybe.

Posted
3 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Thought's on next week for Yorkshire anyone? 

Not as hopeful as I was a few days back, that northern jet may have reduced chances. But yes will see some no doubt with such cold uppers but a lower timeframe of opportunity than was first forecast.

Intrest also turns to after mid month with start warming now splitting the vortex....maybe it will really fall into place for us.

Although we've had quite a few snow falling days in a Sheffield it's never been more than an inch or two which is disappointing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

plain old rain here. Even car only showing 2.5c but not even a hint of sleet which is a bit surprising

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Light snow for a couple of hours this afternoon without settling. When the mist cleared, looking over the valley I could see the tops had turned white. So close!

Posted

We had some very strong gusts of wind early Friday morning, as always when its from a Northerly (NW - NE) we suffer more here, does anyone know of a weather station at a similar location to ours in the area (coastal, exposed, 1 mile in from 350ft cliffs) as I would be interested to know what peak gusts were. Even 10 miles inland it was significantly calmer. It destroyed a bit of fence again, which resulted in the need to buy a new fence post and repair it today. When its got a Northerly component Bridlington gusts tend to be 5-10 mph lower

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

49 minutes ago, mike57 said:

We had some very strong gusts of wind early Friday morning, as always when its from a Northerly (NW - NE) we suffer more here, does anyone know of a weather station at a similar location to ours in the area (coastal, exposed, 1 mile in from 350ft cliffs) as I would be interested to know what peak gusts were. Even 10 miles inland it was significantly calmer. It destroyed a bit of fence again, which resulted in the need to buy a new fence post and repair it today. When its got a Northerly component Bridlington gusts tend to be 5-10 mph lower

Just had a look Mike your nearest stations are Filey, Brid and Burton Fleming.

Burton Fleming was gusting 30mph yesterday morning and its further inland from you easily could of been 40+ I'm sure.

You didn't manage to get a weather station for Christmas then? :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Hmm...I’m get the feeling, from the lack of posts in this particular form, that there isn’t really any excitement for this up-coming ‘cold’ spell. It’s going mad in most of the other regional forums! I reckon it’s the Yorkshire realism kicking in! ?

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Snowday said:

Hmm...I’m get the feeling, from the lack of posts in this particular form, that there isn’t really any excitement for this up-coming ‘cold’ spell. It’s going mad in most of the other regional forums! I reckon it’s the Yorkshire realism kicking in! ?

We're in no-mans land at the moment it seems. Too far north for any precipitation during the initial part today and too far south-east before the front fizzles on Tuesday. At least it's sunny though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

Well ,well, gfs is looking great for northern england a bit of an upgrade i would suggest as the uppers from the NW seem to catch up with the front, which seems to be slowing down as well,  and mix out the marginal uppers, undercutting perhaps,  which benefits us greatly. Not suggesting it will happen , just going by the current Gfs run. Fingers crossed and all that :) 

Looking forward to the strat impacts too, really hope the pro`s are right and we end up with a very memorable February, maybe March as well  :) 

Any way i`ll just leave these here and hope we get verification 

gfs-2-114.thumb.png.786ddfdcc32176c707a8d05584d9a679.png  5a7731ba48e47_gfs-1-114uppers.thumb.png.fd16b677c27775da71ea81a2f1e6a9fe.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Away from Barnsley home for a week in a holiday cottage in the North Yorks Moors.  Drove over from Hutton Le Hole to Castleton this morning en route to Saltburn and had quite an interesting drive.  Was pleased to have the backup of the 4x4 on the Volvo XC60!    Photo taken at around 10.30am at The Lion Inn pub at Blakey Ridge, which is around 400m asl.

IMG_0025.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, bryan629 said:

Well ,well, gfs is looking great for northern england a bit of an upgrade i would suggest as the uppers from the NW seem to catch up with the front, which seems to be slowing down as well,  and mix out the marginal uppers, undercutting perhaps,  which benefits us greatly. Not suggesting it will happen , just going by the current Gfs run. Fingers crossed and all that :) 

Looking forward to the strat impacts too, really hope the pro`s are right and we end up with a very memorable February, maybe March as well  :) 

Any way i`ll just leave these here and hope we get verification 

gfs-2-114.thumb.png.786ddfdcc32176c707a8d05584d9a679.png  5a7731ba48e47_gfs-1-114uppers.thumb.png.fd16b677c27775da71ea81a2f1e6a9fe.png

Friday does certainly look interesting :)