Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days

There's the potential of a Weather system moving in from the NW Saturday/Sunday with the potential of It turning to snow as it hits the Cold air. Altitude will probably be a factor of where the largest snow Accumulations happen but it's possible there will be snow even down to lower levels. 

With the increasing model upgrades favouring the cold snap to increase through next week watch this space come Tuesday/Wednesday we could be in for some interesting events that we haven't seen since 2012/13. 

Edited by Yorkshirepudding
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Yep weekend and next week is upgrading quickly! How often do we see that in the models, usually other way round lol....

Hopefully a proper cold spell coming now, best in a few years I hope, can't quite relax yet though :)

p.s some good snow showers in Sheffield today, a nice appetiser!

Edited by Winter Cold
  • Like 1

Posted
On 16/01/2018 at 16:09, Barking_Mad said:

Yeah, not looking great at the moment. For Leeds they're just fizzling out into cold/sleety rain. May well be some heavier stuff later, but can't see it amounting to much overall. Forecast was late in getting it right, but has got it spot on.

There is still a couple of days to go - should I purchase some snow tyres, are they helpful or a waste of money? Thoughts please or will it be another false arlarm this winter?

Edited by Hope2view
Wrong post

Posted
2 hours ago, Hope2view said:

There is still a couple of days to go - should I purchase some snow tyres, are they helpful or a waste of money? Thoughts please or will it be another false arlarm this winter?

This is the first winter for years I have not had a 4x4.so I put snow tyres on my car and they have been great. I live 1 mile from Brimham rocks in the dales.. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

My mum use to mention how when she was young in the 60s and 70s how the snow use to be really deep here in west yorks. Are the current models similar to what use to happen in the 60s n 70s with lows dropping down the country like in a battle ground? Thats all i can think how the snow must have been treacherous in those days, from organised, stalling fronts. A lot of people mention the snow been deeper back in those days. I know recent winters have produced some big falls than we have been use to, but the snow in 60s and 70s from what i have heard were exceptionial and for this part of uk

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Well Tuesday is certainly looking very interesting for our region! could finally see a good dumping of snow!:yahoo:

Except here of course, where it falls as rain when the band is most intense according to the GFS:

GFSOPUK12_129_53.png

Which means it'll be 100% correct, haha.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

I’m expecting light stuff if anything at all next week. Not getting my hopes up for anything substantial lying - been far too many near misses this winter, where forecasts have been wrong.

Edited by Snowday
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
2 hours ago, Snowjokes92 said:

My mum use to mention how when she was young in the 60s and 70s how the snow use to be really deep here in west yorks. Are the current models similar to what use to happen in the 60s n 70s with lows dropping down the country like in a battle ground? Thats all i can think how the snow must have been treacherous in those days, from organised, stalling fronts. A lot of people mention the snow been deeper back in those days. I know recent winters have produced some big falls than we have been use to, but the snow in 60s and 70s from what i have heard were exceptionial and for this part of uk

I spent most of the 70s in Bingley and Baildon but was at school in Ripponden in 78/79 classic winters.

Snow fell and then dry cold air compacted it all and the wham in came the snow once more. Seemed to last forever really.

I was in Germany for the 87 big freeze and my god it was cold.-16 during the day.

Just a taste of those winters would suffice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
1 hour ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Well Tuesday is certainly looking very interesting for our region! could finally see a good dumping of snow!:yahoo:

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 4.23.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 4.23.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 4.23.22 PM.png

Hope that verifies as the other models are indicating the fronts may disintegrate.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

First bit eof the cherry Saturday however the met isn't keen to bring it so far east and has us on the edge the gfs on the other hand has no problem plonking us in the middle of it. Tuesday could be a very good day however we need to keep an eye on those uppers. If it doesn't mix out as quickly as shown this could be a major freezing rain event.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog
4 hours ago, Light Without Heat said:

Nice Phallic errr lobe in with -11's and -12s

feb 07.PNG

Is this a recipe for lake effect snow bud 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Hope2view said:

Cancelled the winter tyres plan, so definitely more than a foot by next weekend.

Good ol’ reverse psychology! Let’s hope it works! ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Unless you've got a place to store them properly Winters tyres generally aren't worth it. In recent Winters you'd hardly be using them. 

Anyway back onto this cold snap local forecast has rain tomorrow and I've just noticed the temperature has zoomed up from 1.6C to 2.2C in the last half hour so they could be right. We shall see. Even if does Snow the amount will be small so will cause little difficulty for those who don't panic at the first flake of Snow. So that's 1% of drivers then. :)  Local forecast has the next two events down as dry days. Mmmmmmm.

Posted

Looking great for Yorkshire snow! This chart just shows where ppn could be with the easterly flow. Nicely positioned band.

FBB49B89-E59A-46D2-8927-D49499B04181.jpeg.672b7826dac02903c251915784dc80ef.thumb.jpeg.9109f388a312bc2b6e508f276a38b84e.jpeg

Posted
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

Unless you've got a place to store them properly Winters tyres generally aren't worth it. In recent Winters you'd hardly be using them. 

Anyway back onto this cold snap local forecast has rain tomorrow and I've just noticed the temperature has zoomed up from 1.6C to 2.2C in the last half hour so they could be right. We shall see. Even if does Snow the amount will be small so will cause little difficulty for those who don't panic at the first flake of Snow. So that's 1% of drivers then. :)  Local forecast has the next two events down as dry days. Mmmmmmm.

Pit, could not disagree with you more re snow types.

I live in Sheffield (top of Stannington, 230m) and before that I lived in Crookes.

This Winter alone, there must have been 5 separate days already where but for winter tyres, I simply couldn’t have got up to our house on main roads. I ventured out on one of those days in my other car which doesn’t have full winter tyres, but does have mud and snow rated tyres and plenty of clearance, and came a cropper on a hill nearbye.

In some of the snowier winters in Crookes, some of the cars were stranded on the steep residential roads for days at a time.

4CF7DB5E-3DAC-4465-B426-0A25EAEDAA79.jpeg

293B75D5-958D-4E82-A2B9-ADC598F8C76A.jpeg

Edited by Pilgers
  • Like 2