Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
51 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Agreed!  I am sure many of us will at least see some snow falling on Sunday but I would be very surprised if any of it accumulates below 150 - 200 metres.

One thing that I've learnt is unless were in an amber warning with the Met ignore these models because the UKV and Mogreps etc have a much better handle with the resolution. If we get proper warnings I'll take some notice 

Edited by inghams85

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

One thing I've noticed over the last 72 hours is the following maximum temperatures forecasts for York on Sunday. 

Tuesday morning - 7C
Tuesday evening - 6C
Wednesday morning - 6C
Wednesday evening - 5C
Thursday morning - 4C
Thursday evening - 4C
This morning - 3C
This afternoon - 2C
This evening - 1C

Really has dropped over the past three days!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Yes,  I'm a touch more optimistic this morning, watching the BBC forecast on TV that

I might get a few hours of snow on Sunday and it might not be immediately washed away by rain ..  ??

B.

Posted
59 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

Yes,  I'm a touch more optimistic this morning, watching the BBC forecast on TV that

I might get a few hours of snow on Sunday and it might not be immediately washed away by rain ..  ??

B.

yes BL we might get lucky for an hour or so on Sun ........but it ain't going to end well !

e47.gif

Posted

It's a different situation to Thursday and the mild air overrunning the cold air with the mild air moving in from the West tends to favour those of us in the East. The southern extent of Thursdays snow was determined by warm sector moving through. There is quite a sharp cut off on the southern edge of Thursdays snow. We just had some very wet slush but at Cayton the snow is still hanging around

Edited by mike57
typing error

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Morning all, just out of interest, is anyone actually getting anything falling from the sky? I've been under sleet for ages on the radar but it's bone dry still. Perhaps evaporating on the way down? 

Posted
8 minutes ago, bazookabob said:

Morning all, just out of interest, is anyone actually getting anything falling from the sky? I've been under sleet for ages on the radar but it's bone dry still. Perhaps evaporating on the way down? 

nothing here but it has gone very dark and clouds do look full of something 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Yes it's odd isn't it!

However, another complete bust for the forecast, was supposed to be a lovely day today according to look north.

If it doesn't snow with this then I'm not sure about tomoz, uppers are colder today then with tomorrow's front?

Edited by Winter Cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Rain here in Rotherham, just a degree colder and we would probably be seeing snow, I'm sure up on hills to west they'll be seeing snow. 

Posted

Only had light sleet here today so far.  Mostly dry despite radar stating light precipitation.

Edited by The Future

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Dry here now after a spell of sleet. Was Snowing moderately over the top an hour ago and radar shows it pushing back towards us so maybe some more this afternoon but will need to have some evaporative cooling for lower areas like myself.

Posted

Light sleet here but the front dying away now so not expecting anything more bar an icy night.

Posted

Updated yellow warning now from met office includes much further south so we are well in the zone. Reading the text though they havent got a clue whether it will snow or not!!

A case of opening the curtains with your fingers crossed in the morning i think.....!

Posted
12 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

Updated yellow warning now from met office includes much further south so we are well in the zone. Reading the text though they havent got a clue whether it will snow or not!!

A case of opening the curtains with your fingers crossed in the morning i think.....!

Presume you're talking about tomorrow. Looking at the latest GFS the main issue is that the rain is too far back from the really cold uppers and is really in the marginal limits. My thoughts are for a rain to snow to rain event if the rain is heavy enough at the beginning. I was quite surprised today to find out how high the snow line was this morning. So places like Fox house will starts as Snow and probably stay that way for several hours lower down around my height rain then pray for evaporative cooling and hopefully snow then rain by afternoon. We shall see.

Posted
2 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Presume you're talking about tomorrow. Looking at the latest GFS the main issue is that the rain is too far back from the really cold uppers and is really in the marginal limits. My thoughts are for a rain to snow to rain event if the rain is heavy enough at the beginning. I was quite surprised today to find out how high the snow line was this morning. So places like Fox house will starts as Snow and probably stay that way for several hours lower down around my height rain then pray for evaporative cooling and hopefully snow then rain by afternoon. We shall see.

Yes sorry, did mean tomorrow.

I think your probably right, need to hope its heavy enough to get down to my level thats for sure. We shall see but warm fronts arent usualy the heavy ones are they.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
55 minutes ago, The PIT said:

And yet it is snowing quite widely across the Midlands even at modest elevation this afternoon.  

We really have been out of luck so far this winter!

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted

Well it's a case of waiting and seeing what turns up.

Posted

Still cloudy at the moment, that's no good at all!

Needs to be clear and as cold as possible tonight with hard frost for as long as we can.

Posted

I reckon tommorow is gonna be a write of for Yorkshire, significant temporary accumulations south and north of the region but largely missing yall. 

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

Temps heading down not much in the way of cloud and with light winds there should be a good frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Mrs on call tomorrow so that should prove interesting as carers fail to get to clients to tend to their needs. She loathes driving/walking in the snow but can't bear to let the old folk down . I'm hoping we are too far west to see anything troubling but I generally get it back to front. I just hope that , like in my M/cr days ,it is all washed away by lunch time and the carers can get out then?