Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Very noisy and very windy outside bins are gna be everywhere after they been emptied later 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Briefly windy one gust 55mph then a raid moderation. A case of blink and you've missed it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Somewhat laughably, after the disappointments for me locally over the last few days, this morning's BBC breakfast forecast, as well as the app, is showing lots of snow showers tonight and tomorrow. Would love to say I won't get sucked in this time, but I will! 

Posted

A lot of wet snow, slush and surface water on the way to the station, about an inch of very wet snow at Seamer and a fine drizzle.

Posted

Was very windy here especially between 4 and 5 this morning temp rose to 7,1 still windy now just not as strong but the temp has dropped quite fast back to 2,1 again at one point I thought my window was gna blow in quite scary to be honest 

Edited by Skeggy Winter Storm

Posted

Don't think we had anything here (either snow, hail, wind or anything - must have rained a bit because any lying snow we had has gone). Don't know about on higher ground.

BBC weather website has heavy snow this morning for me (around 11 o'clock) - is that likely?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Morning all,
Seemed like just a lively 20 mins squally type rain / wind around 4am here and nothing

much else.
Above freezing and quite calm now.  
Hearing of the snow to the north and the gales to the south, lol. 

B.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Had 20 mins of snow got excited then it turned back to rain :( lol 

Posted

Should be snow showers piling in from the west this evening and overnight into Tom morning.

Winds start wnw then back westerly and -7 500s with us from late tonight until mid morn ish Tom.

Lighter winds but conditions shouldn't be as conducive as Tues 're, big showers(not really big were they lol).

We'll see,hopefully a streamer or two set up or enhanced pepping up?!?.

What peeps thoughts?.

Cape not as good also.

Probably be better lol

Edited by joggs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
44 minutes ago, Aiden2012 said:

Had 20 mins of snow got excited then it turned back to rain :( lol 

This tickled me!  Sounds like a UK snow lover's diary entry that has just been repeated over and again since 2013!  :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, joggs said:

Should be snow showers piling in from the west this evening and overnight into Tom morning.

Winds start wnw then back westerly and -7 500s with us from late tonight until mid morn ish Tom.

Lighter winds but conditions shouldn't be as conducive as Tues 're, big showers(not really big were they lol).

We'll see,hopefully a streamer or two set up or enhanced pepping up?!?.

What peeps thoughts?.

Cape not as good also.

Probably be better lol

This Meto text forecast for tonight doesn't really sound like your description but considering their total bust last night we will probably wake up to about six inches of snow tomorrow morning!

Tonight:

Mostly dry, clear and cold, leading to a widespread frost. However a few wintry showers will continue to move in from the west, bringing a risk of some icy patches. Minimum temperature -2 °C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...
8 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

This Meto text forecast for tonight doesn't really sound like your description but considering their total bust last night we will probably wake up to about six inches of snow tomorrow morning!

Tonight:

Mostly dry, clear and cold, leading to a widespread frost. However a few wintry showers will continue to move in from the west, bringing a risk of some icy patches. Minimum temperature -2 °C.

Guaranteed they'll be right about this one. 

Posted

Where are the people under the deep snow? The North Yorkshire Snow Facebook page is full of people's pictures of blocked main roads and gardens under 10/15cm of snow. Seems to be everywhere except where I am... And where everyone on this group is too!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
5 minutes ago, doctordunc said:

Where are the people under the deep snow? The North Yorkshire Snow Facebook page is full of people's pictures of blocked main roads and gardens under 10/15cm of snow. Seems to be everywhere except where I am... And where everyone on this group is too!!

Is started snowing heavily in Giggleswick so it should be on its way!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

well i hope its all cleared (any we get) by saturday morning, got a job trial up penistone and it was only a few months ago i was in a car accident up there so al be shi×tting it anyway :rofl:

But fingers crossed for tonight anyway :)

I know how it feels to be left out of the snow contest. This winter only brief zr 2 times froze the bins shut here in Stayton OR while places to the north got in on a white Xmas many places recorded several cm's of the white stuff higher up and they assume it was "everywhere". to most weather fans no beings exists south of Portland till you reach Redding CA the hot hell..

Posted

Warning now out for our region in force until tomorrow evening although it stops short of my area by 3 miles (to the West)!  :wallbash:

Between 11:00 Thu 18th and 23:55 Fri 19th

Snow showers will affect the northwest of the UK during Thursday and Friday, although often falling as sleet and hail near windward coasts. Ice will also form in some areas overnight. Travel delays on roads are likely, as are public transport cancellations. In a few places, mainly upland areas, vehicles may become stranded. There is a chance of power cuts, while services such as mobile phone coverage may be affected. A few rural communities may become cut off. In addition some roads and pavements will turn icy, increasing the chances of accidents or injuries.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Snow showers will be heaviest and most frequent across western Scotland where a further 10-20 cm is likely to build up above 200-300 m with 30 cm possible over the very highest routes. The high ground of Northern Ireland and northern England will also see 10-15 cm building up. At low levels, parts of the warning area will see 3-7 cm of snow but some places near the west coast will see very little. Showers will be accompanied by hail and lightning at times, particularly across western Scotland. Here, in particular, there is potential for disruption to power supplies from lightning strikes. Winds will strengthen at times, particularly from later Thursday, bringing the potential for temporary blizzard conditions and drifting on hills and mountains.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Thoughts on Sunday's potential snow? 

image.thumb.png.0d83d9f50fce9590d9acbcc46ffc5ccb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Bit of an upgrade for my area - BBC originally said "Odd snow shower" then it went to "Light snow all day" and it's now changed to "Periods of light and heavy snow".

Edit: Actually that's for Leeds Bradford Airport.

Edited by Barking_Mad

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Sounds decent overnight and tomorrow but I've lost all confidence after last night lol!

Sunday morning maybe another chance...

Posted

https://youtu.be/dcH49ZW--lQ we can get decent snowfalls in February this was Feb 4/5 2012 probably the most snow I've seen at sea level 

Posted

Feb 2012 was very under rated probably because of 2009 and 2010 and Jan 2013. So kind of gets forgotten It  was an great spell here didn't it get down to -16 in Holbeach pretty impressive and the first half of the month was sub zero cet only  cancelled out by an very mild second half. Better then feeble snowfalls had in last five years.

• Like 1