Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Hopefully see some thundersnow later .

On a negative note,the street light bulb(5 yards from my house) as died a death.

Would you believe that.No lamppost watching.

Doh!

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Radar is showing its becoming a lot more organised, as predicted. Could be a fun rush hour.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Here in the city centre it changes depending on strength. If we can get something prolonged and heavy then evaporative cooling should do the rest.

Larger and heavier shower is inbound on radar within the next half hour. Producing snow in Manchester city centre.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer

Can see this being a non event here in Leeds. Fair enough up around the airport area you may see a covering but elsewhere I just don't see it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Huge flash of lightning and thundersnow:yahoo:

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Not sure York will see much this evening. We get the odd passing shower but much of the activity is just 20 miles south. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Heavy snow!! Will it settle? The ground wet through but im sure i read it doesnt always mean it wont stick 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer
1 minute ago, Snowjokes92 said:

Heavy snow!! Will it settle? The ground wet through but im sure i read it doesnt always mean it wont stick 

Yes as long as the snow is heavy enough it will create a slush first then lay as snow on top of that. Hear loads of people say it's too wet to lay! Simply not true

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Not quite sure what to expect here later on, but we have already had two heavy sleety showers this afternoon. Hoping to wake up to at least a dusting in the morning.

Posted
1 minute ago, Decemberof2010 said:

Yes as long as the snow is heavy enough it will create a slush first then lay as snow on top of that. Hear loads of people say it's too wet to lay! Simply not true

Yep, with temps dipping below freezing soon, it really wont matter if the ground it wet - it will happily lay on top eventually. temps are steadily dropping away now - currently around 1c here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Leeds heat island meaning taking effect here in the city centre (3.3c). Hopefully better back out towards where I live.

Edited by Barking_Mad

Posted
1 minute ago, Decemberof2010 said:

Well we just had a heavy hail shower and now heavy snow, but smalll flakes. So that helped. Thought that was the case though. Annoys me when i hear people say its too wet on ground for snow to settle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We had a  very heavy snow shower here, the heaviest snow I've seen for ages. Started to settle slightly on the grass.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

The showers are just breaking up over the Irish Sea. Really need these showers to intensify if we are going to see anything really. Been pretty much a non event in Huddersfield today apart from a intense hail shower around lunchtime it’s been mostly rain. And unless these showers pick up then can’t see much more than a cm or 2.

Posted
5 minutes ago, terrier said:

The showers are just breaking up over the Irish Sea. Really need these showers to intensify if we are going to see anything really. Been pretty much a non event in Huddersfield today apart from a intense hail shower around lunchtime it’s been mostly rain. And unless these showers pick up then can’t see much more than a cm or 2.

1-2cm. Exactly what is forecast 1-3cm in the warning area.....

Posted

looks like a more organised streamer is setting up, Its only thin, but thankfully my location is sat right under it! Still very wet and not really settling mind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Torrential hail/snow/rain mix and I mean torrential. If we can get this later when the temperatures and 850s are down then this is going to be fun.

Posted

Jesus thay radar has perked up ans now its snowing in very gusty winds! Could be interesting tonight!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well I think I’m going to chalk this down as another bust for my area. The showers moving across the Irish Sea are just dying a death before hitting landfall. Can’t see any of the showers banding together to produce anything significant. Ah well onto the next chase at some stage. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Yeah, not looking great at the moment. For Leeds they're just fizzling out into cold/sleety rain. May well be some heavier stuff later, but can't see it amounting to much overall. Forecast was late in getting it right, but has got it spot on.