Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
11 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

Is that a  wind up Rain i n Huddersfield? it absolutely hammered it down with hail and heavy snow here in Dronfield Derbyshire right on the border with Sheffield.

Nope no wind up. But I’m only at 150m asl has some sleet earlier which has now turned to heavy rain. Not saying the higher routes over holmfirth meltham etc aren’t covered. But down here it’s very wet and unpleasant. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, sausage said:

150m isnt low dwn. it will change over dont worry. again bbc's n met look fab for later with freezing level dropping and heavy snow. even dwn to 0c in town.

Just been reading a post in the Ireland thread and one particular poster is at 200m asl and he says it snowed on and off all night. But no accumulations of snow. So  unless you have serious elevation on your side I’m thinking this will be a none event for low lying areas of our region. Plus my app just updated for rain and sleet till 9pm now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
41 minutes ago, terrier said:

Nope no wind up. But I’m only at 150m asl has some sleet earlier which has now turned to heavy rain. Not saying the higher routes over holmfirth meltham etc aren’t covered. But down here it’s very wet and unpleasant. 

Just up the road in Rishworth and we've had either heavy snow or hail this morning, nothing really sticking but crunchy underfoot from the hail and difficult to walk on. Not much laying snow, a thin layer on bits of fields that I can see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Whether it settles or not and I cannot see any reason why it shouldn't even here at 75m given the forecast conditions for later I am presently forecast heavy snow from 6pm until 2am.

We will see but I have always been a glass half full kind of person so I am keeping the faith!

• Like 2

Posted

Looking at the radar the showers over the Irish Sea are just dying a death. Really need the shower activity to pick up.

Posted

There is now a snow warning out for most of North Yorkshire and some parts of South and West Yorkshire in relation to the storm tomorrow night.  3-8cms on low ground and 20cms across high ground.  Not expecting much here as I am right on the Southern edge of the warning zone but a further shift South could see even Sheffield and North Derbyshire in the mix for some persistent snow tomorrow night!  Something to keep an eye on in addition to tonight's fun and games!  :cold:

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Love Snow said:

Things starting to pick up now in the Irish sea.

Looks like it, as nothing much to write home about as of yet....

• Like 1

Posted

We should get some big big showers tea time onwards,especially towards the west.

All parameters are going the right way in the next couple of hours or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Had a really heavy hail to snow shower lasting about 10 mins in Huddersfield about 30mins ago! Even Bradford road going past asda was white. Looking forward to later on

Has anyone else noticed the last few BBC forecasts (on TV and online)? It shows the precipitation animation until 3pm (sometimes 5pm) today, then cuts out and begins Wednesday morning. Are they unaware of what the weather will do tonight?

Or is it too tough to track all those showers?

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
34 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

There is now a snow warning out for most of North Yorkshire and some parts of South and West Yorkshire in relation to the storm tomorrow night.  3-8cms on low ground and 20cms across high ground.  Not expecting much here as I am right on the Southern edge of the warning zone but a further shift South could see even Sheffield and North Derbyshire in the mix for some persistent snow tomorrow night!  Something to keep an eye on in addition to tonight's fun and games!  :cold:

Yeah, that really does indicate the Met are expecting the low to go a lot further South. Big change for our neck of the woods. Area for Wednesday / Thursday's warning is basically the whole Pennines.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
6 minutes ago, cowdog said:

Yeah, that really does indicate the Met are expecting the low to go a lot further South. Big change for our neck of the woods. Area for Wednesday / Thursday's warning is basically the whole Pennines.

Still a mix on and off snow showers, often heavy, hail showers, often heavy and light rain, interspersed by boring gaps! Looking at the hills behind me they're getting whiter so presume that further over into the Pennines is pretty white now.

The Met Office now making the storm a two or three hour event rather than a six hour one so maybe, just maybe, by tomorrow night it might be even shorter or non-existent.

Edited by ukpaul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
1 minute ago, ukpaul said:

Still a mix on and off snow showers, often heavy, hail showers, often heavy and light rain, interspersed by boring gaps! Looking at the hills behind me they're getting whiter so presume that further over into the Pennines is pretty white now.

We have fully white fields now, so yes :)

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, joggs said:

We should get some big big showers tea time onwards,especially towards the west.

All parameters are going the right way in the next couple of hours or so.

Yeah according to a poster in the North West thread we should be expecting some huge showers piling in from the Irish Sea from late afternoon onwards.  I would imagine even this side of the Pennines we will not be immune from some torrential snow / hail and maybe the odd flash of lightning / rumble of thunder especially in Western areas.  Even if we don't see copious amounts of snow settling just watching it come down will be interesting enough.  Lamp post mode will definitely be activated this evening!

Getting quite excited now given the potential for later and maybe even tomorrow night!  :snowman-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted

So just watched bbc news 24 weather looks like snow showers pile in through the early hours of tomorrow morning. Didn’t really show a great deal for this afternoon/evening but from about 1am till 3am looks fun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy

The downgrade is nearly complete for my neck of the woods. Snow forecast pushed back from 1pm to 6pm and light showers rather than heavy snow. Just had rain, a little bit of sleet and hail here so far.

Posted
6 minutes ago, wozafax said:

The downgrade is nearly complete for my neck of the woods. Snow forecast pushed back from 1pm to 6pm and light showers rather than heavy snow. Just had rain, a little bit of sleet and hail here so far.

Strange, I'm only about 5 miles from you and we've had an extended snow fall for about 40 mins.  Everything went white but thawing now.  If anything falls from late afternoon onwards I'd expect it to stick

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy

We had a hail shower which covered the ground a little but melted quick. We've not had any snow though :( Fingers cross for later on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We had a heavy snow shower too, and towards the end the flakes were very large - around the size of 2p coins.

Oh, and the updated Met  forecast now has heavy snow Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

Edited by cheese

Posted

The daughter is at Uni in Manchester so was going tonight to collect her..over Woodhead. I love the drive over the tops but we have cancelled it until its all cleared. So it had better close Woodhead tonight, I am relying on what Ive been reading to cancel. . Snake pass been shut all day.  Hoping to get her Wednesday afternoon before the next lot arrives.