Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Clearly marginal and hard to call in my area (NW Leeds @100m) as forecasts on BBC and MetO have been all over the place. Gone from light snow to heavy sleet to heavy snow and now heavy sleet. Leeds Bradford Airport just down the road and up the hill on the other hand is down for a real pasting. 

Looks like it will be a case of waiting to see what falls out of the sky! 

Edited by Barking_Mad

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
4 minutes ago, Barking_Mad said:

Clearly marginal and hard to call in my area (NW Leeds @100m) as forecasts on BBC and MetO have been all over the place. Gone from light snow to heavy sleet to heavy snow and now heavy sleet. Leeds Bradford Airport just down the road and up the hill on the other hand is down for a real pasting. 

Got to agree I’m 150m asl and I’ve just gone from heavy snow to sleet until tomorrow night. Could be a case of radar watching tomorrow. But at least freezing level will drop rapidly in any heavier showers. But like I said earlier elevation will be key from seeing sleet. Think anything above 300m asl and your laughing. 

• Like 1

Posted

a lot of us in lowland East Yorkshire / Hull etc have very low expectations for tomorrow .......hope that i am wrong and we get a pleasant surprise.

( too many let downs recently )

Posted
30 minutes ago, Barking_Mad said:

Yes agreed , hoping for something on the Yorkshire Wolds above Mkt Weighton

Edited by Jeremy Shockey

Posted

Definitely a case of watch and wait. We live 120m asl, and my work is 250m asl. It always amazes me how much difference that extra 130m makes in the winter! There is also usually a significant difference between where we live, and the bottom of the valley, which is nearer 30m asl. Often no snow at all down there, when we have a covering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow
53 minutes ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

a lot of us in lowland East Yorkshire / Hull etc have very low expectations for tomorrow .......hope that i am wrong and we get a pleasant surprise.

( too many let downs recently )

I don't think us in the east will get much but I hope I'm wrong 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well that’s it. Just asked Alexa if it will snow tomorrow she says chances are 23% for my area at 150m asl lol 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Well lots if snow opportunities tomorrow and Wednesday for my home location of Barnsley, which is great.  Only I'm in London from tomorrow morning until Wednesday night!  Ain't that just typical ??. Hopefully more opportunities later this week after the low has passed through on Thursday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Paul Hudson on Look North this evenng said snow showers getting heavier into tomorrow evening with maybe a crack of thunder in Pennine areas.

That suggests they are expecting some decent convection to kick off later tomorrow especially in Western parts of the region meaning any showers / streamers that develop could give a bit of a dumping in a relatively short space of time.

I am expecting at least a covering by first light Wednesday morning even here at my fairly modest altitude.  Good luck all!  :cold:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
1 minute ago, LeeSnow84 said:

Wednesday night storm shifted slightly more south again could be a noisy night for our region 

We might get an all snow event after all if it drifts any further South!

It might even miss us altogether if it keeps correcting South over the next 48 hours!  :rofl:

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Regarding today and tomorrow i am cautiously optimistic. The temperature is already at 3C and places like the airport should start to see things turn to snow pretty soon (it's pretty much all snow north of Yorkshire now) and most importantly the showers are actually making it far enough east (keeping strength well until at least York). 

BBC (no doubt taking from their higher resolution mesoscale models) suggest speradic showers until about 2pm at which point we are guns blazing. 

Snow watch is officially online.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
18 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

It might even miss us altogether if it keeps correcting South over the next 48 hours!  :rofl:

Gosh, not another small depression getting steadily shunted further south with each run, how unusual...............

Edited by Pennine Ten Foot Drifts
Spelling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
25 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

If the low goes to our south west I think that would be ideal for a snow event for us as it drags down colder air with it. If it stays where it is we may get some snow on its leading edge depending on elevation. 

Honestly I'd prefer it to miss us completely if the above doesn't happen as it will just turn to rain wash any snow lying from Tuesday/Wednesday and it will mean I will keep my roof. Still a very interesting week a head weather wise whatever happens even scary for some and dangerous.

Edited by Yorkshirepudding

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

good luck to all in our region. Hope everyone at least gets a covering. MetO seems a little optimistic for my area, we shall see! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days

Netwether perception of my local weather forcast.. lol. 

IMG_0702.PNG