Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

The automated forecasts have no human input at all, they're just computer generated. I wouldn't place too much faith in them.

Understand that and I never pay attention but many friends / family with little interest in the weather rely solely on the app forecast. Surely if there is a warning for severe weather some sort of manual override should kick in.

Enough moaning, latest charts and models looking good for most of area and temps looking to be just above freezing for most of the day. Hopefully any snow won't be washed away or instantly melt!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

terrier is always miserable. The BBC forecast recently looked perfectly fine for West Yorkshire.

Lol always miserable. Well not always. Perhaps what I should have said was the far west of region eg Halifax Huddersfield Wakefield look very transient in nature with these areas back into sleet and rain by 8am. Can’t see much in way of disruption in these areas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Can i just say since been a lurker since 2008 and joining this forum only this month. I see the usual people moaning about an event when we get it and still moan about it. Its doomed if it does and doomed if it doesnt! It might not last long but hey ho its only december and winter officially only started end of last week! Im gutted its not gonna stick around long but im making most of it. Still looks promising for future prospects. Definetly winter on a knife edge, but that itself sounds like we might end up on several occasions seeing some significant falls of snow. Marginal set ups seem to deliver best of disruptive snow. Ive learnt that so far this winter with the snow across the country. Atlantic inroads to me deliver more in the way of snow compared to easterlies(same with easterlies if its not dry, but usually is in most circumstances)However if its a severe easterly or north easterly set up, id prefer that, due to the nature of it lasting longer and more severe depending on how cold and unsettled the easterly is.

Edited by Snowjokes92
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Just popping in here to see how you guys and gals are prepping for the potential snow :)

For me the BBC app (very surprisingly) has been pretty much spot for the last two events down here, just a heads up for those wondering if it's any use.

have fun you lot!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
17 minutes ago, NorthYorkMoorsSnow said:

Expecting a few cms here on the north york Moors

Where are you in the Moors? Your not in the sweet spot but very likely you will have elevation on your side meaning you will see an all snow event.

Posted

Interesting to see NMM showing potential for a brief spell of snow for parts of Yorkshire Saturday morning as well.

nmmuk-1-39-0.png?28-18

Posted
4 minutes ago, Craigers said:

Looks like a big upgrade to me 

20171228_201546.thumb.png.eff7c112e41c0e1c66db70b2969a9526.png20171228_201520.thumb.png.f338d5e97424e81f30c4e1d877ad816a.png

That looks a lot better than the weather apps.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Craigers said:

Looks like a big upgrade to me 

20171228_201546.thumb.png.eff7c112e41c0e1c66db70b2969a9526.png20171228_201520.thumb.png.f338d5e97424e81f30c4e1d877ad816a.png

Turning to rain on low ground by 7am in west.

High ground should do ok.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

That looks a lot better than the weather apps.

Looks to be turning wet and sleety from the West by 7am though. Think high ground should get a decent covering. But think away from high ground by 8-9am it will be mostly rain. You can see the milder sector on those graphics clearly by 7am. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Even the BBC automated forecasts show snow until 10am, then rain showers after 1pm.

Come on fellas, keep the hope. There have been plenty of times where we've gotten a lot more snow than forecast - and if the Met thought disruption would only be over high ground then they would have only released an amber warning for high ground.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
37 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Just popping in here to see how you guys and gals are prepping for the potential snow :)

For me the BBC app (very surprisingly) has been pretty much spot for the last two events down here, just a heads up for those wondering if it's any use.

have fun you lot!

I'm hoping it isn't too accurate, as it's showing light snow and sleet for my area.  I'm hoping the Arome, Arpege, NMM models and Meto Amber warning description are closer to the mark!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,wind, heat and thunderstorms
29 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Where are you in the Moors? Your not in the sweet spot but very likely you will have elevation on your side meaning you will see an all snow event.

Farndale, in vale bottom just next t Blakey ridge. Suspect Blakey will get a fair bit. 

Posted
Just now, NorthYorkMoorsSnow said:

Farndale, in vale bottom just next t Blakey ridge. Suspect Blakey will get a fair bit. 

You should do pretty well there.  We stay in a holiday cottage in Hutton Le Hole every February and nearly always see snow. ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...
31 minutes ago, joggs said:

Turning to rain on low ground by 7am in west.

High ground should do ok.

What are you classing as ‘high ground’? 

Posted
17 minutes ago, NorthYorkMoorsSnow said:

Are you near Peter Mawson who runs the High Farndale farm? I have a weather station at the Lion Inn pub. Heres the link to the live data. 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IFARNDAL3

im very excited.

amber means a lot. you cant fool n worry people only for it not to happen. and phil avery on bbc leeds said in the amber it will chuck it dwn and even said yellow area still upto 5cm. 

on the met office warning too it says about stranded rtc. amner shud alone be expecting 5-10cm regardless of height. my worry is the bbc app which i think has been pretty açurate too recently.

does anyone please think there will be enough left by midday when i finish to go sledging. surely if 5-10 is true it wont rapidly melt at 3c?!!.....

Posted

Well just looked at bbc weather app for Huddersfield and it shows sleet from 5am to 7am then rain from there on. So don’t think the app is following the warnings. 

4 minutes ago, terrier said:

Well just looked at bbc weather app for Huddersfield and it shows sleet from 5am to 7am then rain from there on. So don’t think the app is following the warnings. 

i knw i dont understand this! why are thy contradicting the warnings and professionaks!!??

this will either be ace or another huge let dwn.

Posted

Met office app for me now has just a 60% chance of light rain from 6am to 8am. No snow in the forecast at all despite being slap bang in middle of amber warning.

Has something changed model wise since the warning was issued this morning?

Posted
5 minutes ago, terrier said:

similar story on t'other side of the hill Terrier- the apps are not looking good.

That said i think the apps are pap.

Posted
4 minutes ago, terrier said:

I have 11 locations across Yorkshire loaded on the BBC app, and all those in West and South Yorkshire now showing mostly sleet.  Only North Yorkshire locations still showing snow.  Will be interesting to see the model updates from the 18z runs later.