Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

c1.thumb.gif.438adb6e1c009d466ff607b6737a7ec0.gifnmm-1-51-0.thumb.png.68c454ea9275ffdb08ef92c8fd8e9fec.png so its looking from these charts that everything is moving south as someone asked for charts earlier here you go. looking at those i cant see much for yorkshire region. but midlands gets a pasting.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
1 hour ago, yaffle said:

I've moaned about it before but the Yorkshire and Humber region is too big for a discussion area. Is it ever likely that snow forecasts for Skipton York and Whitby are going to be the same? I know that we can look into it in more detail but when someone hears a headline of SNOW IN YORKSHIRE it is very misleading. @vizzy2004 is far more likely to get snow than me and he only lives 10 minutes up the road.

That has been said time and time again, but the areas you quoted are all in North Yorkshire the silliness really comes into play with people in southern Lincolnshire!

Said it before, the regions need to be done on here by geography e.g. Pennines, East Coast, West Coast etc; geography is what affects the weather the most in snowfall - and thats when the regions are mostly used.

edit: Just notice Lincolnshire finally has got booted out of here and now with Norfolk - But why on earth is this called Yorkshire and E.England. Its all Yorkshire unless there is some hidden county between Cleveland and Lincolnshire.

Edited by cowdog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

On the positive side, if you're wanting snow, it's perhaps worth bearing in mind that the snow will be falling on to largely dry ground that will have had 48 hours of cold. It's going to settle very quickly. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
12 minutes ago, terrier said:

c1.thumb.gif.438adb6e1c009d466ff607b6737a7ec0.gifnmm-1-51-0.thumb.png.68c454ea9275ffdb08ef92c8fd8e9fec.png so its looking from these charts that everything is moving south as someone asked for charts earlier here you go. looking at those i cant see much for yorkshire region. but midlands gets a pasting.

Them charts are for just one time period tho, you need to see the evolution and not just cherry pick charts. This is by no means saying it will happen but to me we are "in the game "!!

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Posted

Those of us in North and West Yorkshire would obviously would love to see a northerly shift in the modeled position of the low. However even a time 0, we've seen many times before unexpected snow in places. We are still in this!

• Like 2

Posted

Well the BBC forecast has gone into an hourly breakdown for Sunday and for NW Leeds it's predicting heavy snow between 8am and 5pm. Glad to say my 25kgs of rocksalt and snow shovel have just arrived! 

#itbettersnownow

• Like 1

Posted

Also just seen the 'feels like' temperature, - 5c to - 6c with 20mph gusts. Won't be too nice out! 

Posted

Yes the BBC York forecast is heavy snow Sunday morning for a couple of hours. Hmmm... we'll see...

Posted

West and South Yorkshire should do pretty well out of this. Maybe not as much as the midlands but sometimes these things can be 20 miles further north when they finally appear on the radar (also could be further south)I don’t see why certain posters are being so downcast and saying this will hit further south, that’s not what the models or the Met Office are saying. 

• Like 1

Posted

There really is some doom and gloom people on here!! 

If it snows enjoy it, if it dosen't then winter has just started still got another 9-10 weeks left to get some snow!!! 

• Like 2

Posted

Yes @LeeSnowFan you are right! I should be celebrating the fact that we have had some lovely frosts and bright winter skies - day and night. So much better than the last few years.

Onwards and Upwards. Loads of winter left to go.

• Like 1

Posted

I made a gif of snow forecast from GFS 06 data. Much easier to see snow potential from multiple time stamps than just one specific. Shows the amber warning area under snow for pretty much 24hrs.

Hope the link works!

20q2lq.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The latest Met Office fax charts have the centre of the slider around Birmingham, which might explain why the BBC/Met Office have their amber warning where it is, and why they continue to show heavy snow even as far north as York. The previous fax charts showed the slider around Kent!

The latest BBC automated forecast for Leeds looks even better than it did earlier.. time will tell, as ever.

yuRp1v2dQsmEisbboTpzgQ.png

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, sausage said:

but it is according to nnm n ecm :(

if gfs goes further south again later then its game over for real :( x million.

Cheer up, nothing has happened!

Edited by Barking_Mad
  • Like 2

the national bbc forecast just showed mega snow over midlands but she said and i quote! this then affecting northern england as it moves north and north east!!! will it really move north. first ive heard that said. someone help me out please. im losing my sanity. cider is my older friend i think.

Posted

Keep calm West Yorkshire always does well in these setups. And with the met and BBC showing the white stuff for us.

Everyone needs to calm down and enjoy the ride

• Like 1

Posted

My thinking is it develops and pivots north.

Looking forward to radar watching.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
15 minutes ago, sausage said:

the national bbc forecast just showed mega snow over midlands but she said and i quote! this then affecting northern england as it moves north and north east!!! will it really move north. first ive heard that said. someone help me out please. im losing my sanity. cider is my older friend i think.

Yes, which is what people have been trying to tell you. The ECM and NMM runs show it first only hitting the midlands then the snow are pivots round and hits the North on Sunday Afternoon, and then through most of Monday. Its also visible on the GFS 6Z even though thats not as far south, and the resulting area on Monday covering even the North East.

It seems this pivot is one thing the models are agreeing on.

Posted

FWIW my local BBC forecast for NW Leeds (Pudsey, Leeds/Bradford, Horsforth) just changed to heavy snow between 5am and 3pm. It arrives slightly earlier, but still snows for longer. A significant upgrade from earlier in the day.

Posted
50 minutes ago, sausage said:

Yep I saw that weather report, she said the snow should move on through the Midlands into the North York Moors.

anyway should be plenty of snow here, gfs ppn charts now show close to 30cm