Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

So looking at the gfs06z it’s slowly coming into line with the ecm pushing everything south. Even South Yorkshire could struggle to see much in the way of snow now. Definitely looks like west and North Yorkshire are out of the running now. But looks like the midlands and wales will get absolutely hammered Sunday into Monday. That’s bbc news 24 all over it like a rash lol 

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
1 minute ago, terrier said:

So looking at the gfs06z it’s slowly coming into line with the ecm pushing everything south. Even South Yorkshire could struggle to see much in the way of snow now. Definitely looks like west and North Yorkshire are out of the running now. But looks like the midlands and wales will get absolutely hammered Sunday into Monday. That’s bbc news 24 all over it like a rash lol 

Look at the whole picture. All the models that are moving it South are now instead having the snow band in effect pivot over the country on Sunday / Monday. E.g. GFS 6Z has heavy snow for almost all the region on Monday, especially the Pennines. We need another day at least before the intensity and therefore the track of this low is sorted.

• Like 1

Posted

Which at the moment is looking as through we aren't going to get it as badly here in Sheffield as originally thought with each passing model run-I knew the BBC Forecasters and the models would end up over enthising it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Snowfall is often really hard to predict accurately, especially at a local level. FWIW the past few days Met Office had my NW Leeds area as light snow all day apart form 12 - 3pm where it said heavy snow (despite the northern track). But now, even with the southern shift, it's now saying heavy snow between 9am and 3pm. 

Best to just watch the radar once it starts coming in. Quite often you get areas of really heavy snow in amongst what should be light snowfall. That said unless you're at a high elevation it looks no more than 5cms or so. But we shall see....

With a bit of luck all those southerners begging for snow on the model thread will get rain ;)

Edited by Barking_Mad
  • Like 1

Posted

Last night it moved north, night before it moved south, today it's moved south! even the models still don't know what they want to do! 

there is still 48 hours to go! and many more twists in the tale! so not a right off for our region just yet!! 

I will await until the pub run saturday night! :p 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
14 minutes ago, terrier said:

Would you mind showing me some charts to show us all why we are out of the picture? Just never seen you back anything you type up!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Last night it moved north, night before it moved south, today it's moved south! even the models still don't know what they want to do! 

there is still 48 hours to go! and many more twists in the tale! so not a right off for our region just yet!! 

I will await until the pub run saturday night! :p 

Yes the gfs has been flip flopping north and south. But if you look at the ecm and to a degree the ukmo it has been steadfast in moving it south. I honestly believe this will be a midlands wales Home Counties event. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Tony Beets said:

Would you mind showing me some charts to show us all why we are out of the picture? Just never seen you back anything you type up!

Can’t post charts as on my phone at moment. But if you look at the ecm you will see West Yorkshire is out the picture regarding heavy snowfall. With the main band been over the midlands into wales 

Posted

Metoffice have updated there warnings and South yorkshire now under an AMBER warning! 

Amber warning
Snow between Sun 04:00 and Sun 18:00Hide detail

Regions and local authorities affected:

• East Midlands
  •  
  • East of England
  •  
  • London & South East England
  •  
  • North West England
  •  
  • Wales
  •  
  • West Midlands
  • Yorkshire & Humber
  • North Lincolnshire
  • South Yorkshire
  • West Yorkshire

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A band of rain, heavy at times, is expected to move eastwards over the UK. With cold air in place, a spell of heavy snow looks likely to develop on its northern edge. 10 cm looks likely quite widely within the warning area, with 15-20 cm in places. There is increasing certainty in the track and location of the heaviest snow.

Edited by LeeSnowFan
  • Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, terrier said:

Yes the gfs has been flip flopping north and south. But if you look at the ecm and to a degree the ukmo it has been steadfast in moving it south. I honestly believe this will be a midlands wales Home Counties event. 

Might end up over the channel! lol

Posted

Latest Met Office update. Amber heavy snow warning  in southern parts of West Yorkshire into South Yorkshire. My elderly parents won't be pleased :(

Link to warning here

snow.png

Edited by Barking_Mad

Posted

I've moaned about it before but the Yorkshire and Humber region is too big for a discussion area. Is it ever likely that snow forecasts for Skipton York and Whitby are going to be the same? I know that we can look into it in more detail but when someone hears a headline of SNOW IN YORKSHIRE it is very misleading. @vizzy2004 is far more likely to get snow than me and he only lives 10 minutes up the road.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

Again, just to emphasise the risk of further southerly corrections. 

nmm-1-57-0.thumb.png.a40863a618c0792858344c5fd55dbe15.png nmm-1-51-0.thumb.png.68c454ea9275ffdb08ef92c8fd8e9fec.png

It's just the timing. The front is slower coming in will show it over us an hour or two later

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Barking_Mad said:

Latest Met Office update. Amber heavy snow warning  in southern parts of West Yorkshire into South Yorkshire. My elderly parents won't be pleased :(

Link to warning here

snow.png

But interestingly the warning time has shortend from to 6:00pm where are previous warnings had it going til midnight.

Posted
26 minutes ago, inghams85 said:

It's just the timing. The front is slower coming in will show it over us an hour or two later

Not really, however i don't think it will move to much now. My punt is for South Yorkshire to fare best (several cms), but the Midlands the sweet spot. It will be a case of radar watching on the day!

nmmuk-1-53-0.png?08-12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
46 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

Again, just to emphasise the risk of further southerly corrections. 

nmm-1-57-0.thumb.png.a40863a618c0792858344c5fd55dbe15.png nmm-1-51-0.thumb.png.68c454ea9275ffdb08ef92c8fd8e9fec.png

Agreed, any further corrections will be southwards. I think prolonged heavy snow unlikely for our region on Sunday. Some in more southern parts of our region will see a bit though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Pennine Ten Foot Drifts said:

Agreed, any further corrections will be southwards. I think prolonged heavy snow unlikely for our region on Sunday. Some in more southern parts of our region will see a bit though.

Yes latest NMM takes me out of the picture completley with not even light snow here. Driving down to Lincolnshire on Monday morning as part of training for my new job so hopefully see some snow on the way.

Do feel a bit greedy as Im in Iceland currently and have been since last Sunday, seen a hefty snowfall on Tuesday and now were in Reykjavic where its -8c. Back Saturday night, and its always nice to see snowfall in my back garden ;)

its so hard to get snow here in the first place for sone reason compared to other places in the world and now when we do we miss it!! why is it correcting south though. why cant we have corrections north!! why has the gfs got this so wrong at such a close timescale :'(

Posted
4 minutes ago, sausage said:

we need a miracle now. 

i cannot believe the bbc still have updated it just to show more heavy snow symbols over us. where are they getting this info from because i just cant see ot unless its to try mke us happy here in leeds. :'(

Calm down sausage, you'll have a banger.

We should see some light/moderate snow.

Things haven't looked good in years. And medium,long-term looks tasty.

Least it's not mild mush all the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
54 minutes ago, Weather26 said:

But interestingly the warning time has shortend from to 6:00pm where are previous warnings had it going til midnight.

Suggests that they are seeing the system come through quicker and not disrupting as much.

On the models thread there's a lot of cherry picking, the metoffice warning is in line with the main area of projected snow on all but outlier runs. If one goes north, another goes south, the amber warning is for those covered in most eventualities.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
10 minutes ago, sausage said:

we need a miracle now. 

i cannot believe the bbc still have updated it just to show more heavy snow symbols over us. where are they getting this info from because i just cant see ot unless its to try mke us happy here in leeds. :'(

Well the Metoffice has done the same. They had last night correct, at home sleety mess and up here where I am working a nice sprinkling of snow with visibility of something more extensive on the hills.