Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I just want to get back to my boys (Mylo dog and hubby) then it can do what it likes. Having said that, a snow covered landscape from your flight is amazing...

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Weather warning now issued for Sunday - And we are right smack bang in the middle of it.

A spell of heavy snow is possible over some central parts of the UK during Sunday. This could lead to road, rail and air travel delays, with the potential for vehicles to become stranded or public transport to be cancelled. Rural communities with limited access routes could become cut off.

Only Yellow at moment, expect it to be Orange for the main area once thats decided, as thats where the Bold bit really will apply.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, cowdog said:

Weather warning now issued for Sunday - And we are right smack bang in the middle of it.

Only Yellow at moment, expect it to be Orange for the main area once thats decided, as thats where the Bold bit really will apply.

South & West Yorks could be the sweet spots :yahoo:

Posted
Just now, cowdog said:

Metoffice warning site down at the minute - have us lot bust it ?

Posted

Warnings affecting South Yorkshire

A spell of heavy snow is possible over some central parts of the UK during Sunday. This could lead to road, rail and air travel delays, with the potential for vehicles to become stranded or public transport to be cancelled. Rural communities with limited access routes could become cut off.

Edited by LeeSnowFan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm

Looking good for Barnsleys snow chance on Sunday, now but has always will change.

Posted

I'd be very wary for now at jumping for joy, if its a dead cert then I'll happily get on the next train north this weekend but the ECM has the slider only clipping South Yorkshire, with the bulk of the precipitation hitting the Midlands, if the GFS carries on pushing the slider further north South Yorkshire would see rain.    

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
4 hours ago, LeeSnow84 said:

Will Barnsley see continuous snowfall? 

Looks like it from today's models but it could all change from run to run 

Posted
1 minute ago, Cheese Rice said:

I'd be very wary for now at jumping for joy, if its a dead cert then I'll happily get on the next train north this weekend but the ECM has the slider only clipping South Yorkshire, with the bulk of the precipitation hitting the Midlands, GFS if it carries on pushing the slider further north South Yorkshire would see rain.    

so we need it to move in which direction for south yorkshire to see it good?

Posted
1 minute ago, Cheese Rice said:

I'd be very wary for now at jumping for joy, if its a dead cert then I'll happily get on the next train north this weekend but the ECM has the slider only clipping South Yorkshire, with the bulk of the precipitation hitting the Midlands, GFS if it carries on pushing the slider further north South Yorkshire would see rain.    

Will probs not be certain until sat evening

Posted
Just now, LeeSnowFan said:

so we need it to move in which direction for south yorkshire to see it good?

Depends what model you follow, the GFS is knife edge stuff for South Yorkshire, ECM is too far south though guarantees it all to be snow albeit not very much as the heavier echoes miss us. 

Something in-between ideally 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Don’t think the track of this will be nailed down until Saturday evening. Although the warnings look good for our region I would be very sceptical at the moment. I still believe this will head south on the 12z later bringing midlands and south into play. My expectations of heavy snow for our region at the moment are extremely low. 

Posted
31 minutes ago, cowdog said:

You won't miss it. This isn't a small 50 mile wide band of precipitation, its going to cover the whole of England, assuming it doesn't go really really south, and only 1 run of 1 model has shown that. Its going to be absurdly unlikely that West Yorkshire / South Yorkshire don't get at least a few cm of snow.

The thing is somewhere could get a foot of it from Sundays event - thats what really everyone is talking about, and that peak area has moved so that instead of it being around West Yorkshire its now Warwickshire / Derbyshire way.

I was jesting, but yes that is how i see it unfolding. Based on the models so far today, the 'sweet spot' will be somewhere south of the line from Sheffield, north of Northampton. Although further north could still get a couple of cm's  - if it doesn't shift south. This could still happen (e.g. NAVGEM), so caution advised!navgem-2-84.png?07-12

Posted
1 minute ago, terrier said:

Don’t think the track of this will be nailed down until Saturday evening. Although the warnings look good for our region I would be very sceptical at the moment. I still believe this will head south on the 12z later bringing midlands and south into play. My expectations of heavy snow for our region at the moment are extremely low. 

Hardly very low we have a warning out? 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Love Snow said:

Hardly very low we have a warning out? 

Not been funny but the met at the moment will be covering all bases till this track is nailed down. We could still easily miss out if it tracks further south. So until Saturdays 12z runs I will remain very cautious regarding any significant snowfall for our region. 

Posted

Not been funny but the met at the moment will be covering all bases till this track is nailed down. We could still easily miss out if it tracks further south. So until Saturdays 12z runs I will remain very cautious regarding any significant snowfall for our region. 

Indeed, and as noted in the model thread, the ARPEGE also looks to be tracking further south, although doesn't go past T72

arpege-1-72-0.png?07-11arpege-2-72-0.png?07-11

There will be numerous changes in track and intensity over the coming days. As per my previous post, i'd plump for somewhere in the Midlands faring best!

Or perhaps just the Scottish mountains :pardon:

J78-21.GIF?07-6

Good job its rubbish 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

My Eldest is travelling down to Oxford on Sunday for her interview at the Uni.......... I'm worried now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
18 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

My Eldest is travelling down to Oxford on Sunday for her interview at the Uni.......... I'm worried now!

Would honestly try and see if she could travel down on Saturday. Odds on the rail network is going to FUBAR on Sunday - especially given there is a massive Rail Strike on Sunday, so compound that with widespread snow and the network is going to be a mess.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Hi all. Got everything crossed for this event, but i have a funny feeling its gona miss us :( maybe been let down too many times before, but will be a bonus if my gut feeling is wrong. 

Posted
1 minute ago, snow*please said:

Hi all. Got everything crossed for this event, but i have a funny feeling its gona miss us :( maybe been let down too many times before, but will be a bonus if my gut feeling is wrong. 

Well if the navgem06z and aperge models are to be believed this will miss us. With the sweet spot been midlands area. Can see them getting a pasting if these models are correct. But at the moment it’s all ifs and buts. But I would certainly keep my expectations low for our region. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Well if the navgem06z and aperge models are to be believed this will miss us. With the sweet spot been midlands area. Can see them getting a pasting if these models are correct. But at the moment it’s all ifs and buts. But I would certainly keep my expectations low for our region. 

Yeah that's what i feel, that its going to go south of us. Shame if it does but plenty of winter left and its only the weather. I haven't mentioned the chance of snow this weekend to kids, so all good :rofl:

Posted

I personally plump for a slight shift north due to there been no blocking to the east.

I honestly believe South York's will do very well.

• Like 1